Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9867 Discussions

cannot upload Blink sketch from Ubuntu 12.04 to Galileo 1.0.2

mvirt
Novice

I set up an Ubuntu 12.04 with arduino 1.5.3-intel.1.0.3. I have two problems and not sure they are related or not. I am using /dev/ttyUBS1 serial port and I can use Putty to see the output on Galileo.

1. Tried to upload Blink to Galileo running 1.0.2 firmware thru arduino but kept getting timeout and incomplete error. From the terminal window, I can see these errors.

demouser@ubuntu12:~/arduino-1.5.3-Intel.1.0.3$ ./arduino

Board arduino:x86:izmir_fd doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: X86_IZMIR_FD

Board arduino:x86:izmir_fg doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: X86_IZMIR_FG

Board arduino:edison:izmir_ec doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: EDISON_IZMIR_EC

Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called.

Stable Library

=========================================

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7

Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7

done

Binary sketch size: 57,999 bytes (of a 10,000,000 byte maximum) - 0% used

# !/bin/sh

starting download script

Args to shell: /home/demouser/arduino-1.5.3-Intel.1.0.3/hardware/tools /tmp/build7067675651078581328.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf /dev/ttyUSB1

Serial Port PORT

echo "starting download script"

Using tty Port /dev/ttyUSB1

echo "Args to shell:" $*

Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode

#

# ARG 1: Path to lsz executable.

# ARG 2: Elf File to download

# ARG 3: TTY port to use.

#

# path may contain \ need to change all to /

path_to_exe=$1

fixed_path=${path_to_exe//\\/\/}

#

tty_port_id=$3

echo "Serial Port PORT" $com_port_id

echo "Using tty Port" $tty_port_id

#

echo "Sending Command String to move to download if not already in download mode"

echo "~sketch download" > $tty_port_id

# Give the host time to stop the process and wait for download

sleep 1

#

Deleting existing sketch on target

# Move the existing sketch on target.

echo "Deleting existing sketch on target"

"$fixed_path/lsz" --escape -c "mv -f /sketch/sketch.elf /sketch/sketch.elf.old" < $tty_port_id > $tty_port_id

<span style="color: # ff6600; font-size: 13.63636302948px; ...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
mvirt
Novice

I figured out the problem. According to the quick start guide in Galileo on Linux, I used the stereo and DB9 connected to my Linux host. The connection is shown as /dev/ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1. It worked fine for Putty to see the console. But it doesn't work for transferring sketch. I need to use USB-micro USB cable to connect to Galileo board and a /dev/ttyACM0 showing up. Using ttyACM0 as my serial port, I was able to transfer Blink sketch.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mvirt
Novice

I figured out the problem. According to the quick start guide in Galileo on Linux, I used the stereo and DB9 connected to my Linux host. The connection is shown as /dev/ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1. It worked fine for Putty to see the console. But it doesn't work for transferring sketch. I need to use USB-micro USB cable to connect to Galileo board and a /dev/ttyACM0 showing up. Using ttyACM0 as my serial port, I was able to transfer Blink sketch.

View solution in original post

CChar5
Novice

I had a similar issue on Mac, but my issue of the IDE not finding /dev/cu.usbmodem**** was fixed after I ejected the "Edison" drive before uploading new code.