cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TConr1
New Contributor I

edison internal antenna - placement

Jump to solution

There are several threads about use of an external antenna, and that may ultimately be the most effective option ....

However, I was curious if there is any known "directionality" of the internal antenna. For example, if we mount the Edison on a custom PCB board on the backside (and potentially facing into a wall, for example), is this inferior to having it facing out the front?

Or, say for instance our device is resting on a countertop (metal, granite, etc) the Edison would be facing down towards the countertop from inside the enclosure. Would it be better to have the Edison facing up inside the enclosure? If there is no "directionality" with the internal antenna, then I suppose it wouldn't matter.

Any other thoughts in terms of placement inside of a plastic enclosure as it pertains to WiFi reception would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Solution
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ttc7152,

According to some of the specifications in the http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonmodule_hg_331189004.pdf Edison Module Hardware Guide, the quality of the signal is indeed affected by some devices/objects that might be placed too close to the antenna. According to the document components or metallic objects shouldn't be placed close to the Antenna Keepout Zone (KOZ). Also, later on the document there's a whole section dedicated to the "Antenna Keepout" (7.1), "the area around the antenna should be kept free of all components, routes and ground planes. However, most of these instructions were written thinking on PCB designers.

I believe that as long as you don't place too many components or objects around the antenna area you shouldn't have any issue with the quality of the signal regardless of the positioning.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ttc7152,

We are now investigating your question. Hopefully we'll have an answer soon.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi ttc7152,

According to some of the specifications in the http://download.intel.com/support/edison/sb/edisonmodule_hg_331189004.pdf Edison Module Hardware Guide, the quality of the signal is indeed affected by some devices/objects that might be placed too close to the antenna. According to the document components or metallic objects shouldn't be placed close to the Antenna Keepout Zone (KOZ). Also, later on the document there's a whole section dedicated to the "Antenna Keepout" (7.1), "the area around the antenna should be kept free of all components, routes and ground planes. However, most of these instructions were written thinking on PCB designers.

I believe that as long as you don't place too many components or objects around the antenna area you shouldn't have any issue with the quality of the signal regardless of the positioning.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

View solution in original post

TConr1
New Contributor I

Thank you for the info!