Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fNgo
Novice

[need Help] how to check intel galileo gen 2 died or not?

Jump to solution

Hi seniors, I'm using intel galileo gen 2 board for my ROV project, I powered it by a Buck power (220V AC to 12V DC), and it stop working from then on @@. Anyone could tell me how to check my board, please! Thank in advanced

1 Solution
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi FranklinNgo,

Basically, if you power up the board and there is no LED activity at all, we can say that the board is damaged. You could try using another DC power supply just to check that the issue is not caused by the power supply.

On the other hand, if there is LED activity, you could try to access the board's terminal using the FTDI cable. If you are able to access the terminal, the board might be recoverable.

So, does your board show any LED activity when it's powered up? Did you try using another DC power supply?

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi FranklinNgo,

Basically, if you power up the board and there is no LED activity at all, we can say that the board is damaged. You could try using another DC power supply just to check that the issue is not caused by the power supply.

On the other hand, if there is LED activity, you could try to access the board's terminal using the FTDI cable. If you are able to access the terminal, the board might be recoverable.

So, does your board show any LED activity when it's powered up? Did you try using another DC power supply?

Regards,

Diego

View solution in original post

fNgo
Novice

Thank you for your concern . I power it by ioref pin, then 2 led blink. I try to connect the board with laptop with UART protocol (just like FTDI cable), but nothing happen. Could you have another solution? Thank again.

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi FranklinNgo,

The board cannot be powered though the IOREF pin header. It has to be powered through the barrel jack with a DC power supply.

How did you connect the board to the PC? Did you use the FTDI cable or another cable? You have to use a cable like the one shown here: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-galileo-boards/000006343.h... Console Serial Cables for Intel® Galileo Boards. Then, check if a COM port appears in the Device Manager.

Regards,

Diego

fNgo
Novice

I powered it through the barrel jack with a DC buck source (AC to DC), but nothing happen. Could I power it through 2 I/O pin of board?

I connect it to my laptop through a UART cable, with have no RTS and CTS. I will buy the FTDI cable tomorrow to check it. Thank a lot.

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi FranklinNgo,

The I/O pins are not designed to power the board, they are just general purpose pins to set HIGH or LOW values (or read HIGH or LOW values). Some of them can be used for other applications like UART, SPI, I2C or PWM, but you cannot apply power to these pins. The board might get damaged if you do it.

I'd like to know if the board showed any LED activity when you powered it with the DC power supply. If there wasn't LED activity, there is no sense to get the FTDI cable because the board is damaged, and it's unrecoverable. Make sure if the power supply is fine, sometimes the issue is caused by the power supply.

The serial port doesn't use the RTS and CTS pins. The FTDI cable includes them, but they are not used. However, this serial port uses 3.3V logic, so you have to use a FTDI cable with the same level logic.

Regards,

Diego

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

I think the most direct and most simple verification is the Galileo power led as indicated by DiegoV_Intel

Fernando.

fNgo
Novice

I've just know it can be powered through ethernet (PoE), could I power it through ethernet?

Besides that, if it died, could I have a warranty from intel manufacturer? I've just bought it couples month ago. Thank everyone.

FTinetti
Honored Contributor I

FranklinNgo wrote:

I've just know it can be powered through ethernet (PoE), could I power it through ethernet?

I think it could be tried, but it does not seem to be easy, or maybe I'm missing something: /thread/55354?start=0&tstart=0 https://communities.intel.com/thread/55354?start=0&tstart=0

Fernando.

Diego_V_Intel
Employee

Hi FranklinNgo,

You can submit a warranty ticket using the following form: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/maker/warrantyemail.htm Intel® Support. The Warranty Team will contact you as soon as the ticket is received.

Regards,

Diego