Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MLeis4
Novice

netbooting with arduino/edison

Has anyone netbooted an edison with uboot?

Seems uboot has support for:

asix 8817X (which I have a few off with good results on linux)

cdc ether (gadget usb driver)

Has anyone tried it?

marty

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello martyl,

When you mention Netboot, are you referring to the Apple technology that enables to boot from a network like it's mentioned in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBoot? Or are you referring to netboot.xyz which is a way to select various operating system installers or utilities from one place within the BIOS as mentioned in https://netboot.xyz/?

-Peter.
MLeis4
Novice

Once uboot can tftp files from the network, you can do all types of things -- not speaking of "NetBoot" (from apple) but I've worked with uboot for over a decade and done "clever things" like:

1) loading kernel into ram

2) loading initrd or ramdisk into ram

and/or

booting off nfs media for root

booting off flash media for root

booting off ramdisk for root

Doing pxe boots is more complicated and unnecessary for what I want to accomplish.

idata
Community Manager

Could you please explain us your project's goal? I would like to know all the information I can in order to provide you the best suggestion possible.

-Peter.
MLeis4
Novice

This is general kernel/system development.

Its much easier to not have an intermediate "flash" step when doing development when a host system is involved which supports tftp and nfs.

I've been developing this way with uboot for more than a decade.

idata
Community Manager

I understand, please let me investigate about this to see if I can find some useful information for you.

If I find anything that is of help I'll get back to you here.

-Peter.
idata
Community Manager

Hi martyl,

We did some research and we found out that Netbooting Edison with uboot was never tried.

It would be very interesting to see if you can make it working. I invite you to try and share what you can find, it might be of much help for other users.

-Peter.
FerryT
Valued Contributor I

I believe Andy Shevshenko (0andriy) uses this method.

Andriy_S_Intel
Employee

We indeed are using netboot, but TBH with help of kexec. We never tried U-Boot to serve our purpose on Edison platform. Peter, since you are Intel employee, you may send me internal e-mail for details.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Oandry,

As I mentioned to martyl, netbooting Edison with U-Boot has never been validated. In fact, any customization to the Edison U-Boot or source code are not supported. However, I invite you to try and post your results on the community to help other user that might be interested on this.

In case you need it, you can find Edison's U-Boot source code in https://github.com/01org/edison-u-boot.

-Peter.