Intel® Makers
Intel® Edison, Intel® Joule™, Intel® Curie™, Intel® Galileo
Announcements
Welcome - This is a Peer-to-Peer Forum only. Intel has discontinued these products but you may find support from other customers on this Forum
9868 Discussions

ok the 4.0 kernel is out and intel still insist on using old kernels.

咏梁
Novice

i'm compliing the 4.0 kernel with the intel patch, don't mind to brick my edison once more.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Matthias_H_Intel
Employee
/message/280670# 280670 intel still insist on using old kernels.

I guess you won't find too many Linux distributions coming out with 4.0 yet

MMich22
New Contributor II

Ok, a kernel version of 4.0 is a little bit too "fresh" but a little jump towards 3.19 (I think this is the latest available for Yocto) would be great.

咏梁
Novice

nothing can be change on edison, i've try 3.10, 3.14, 3.18 and 3.19, all is brick after kernel loading.

MMied
New Contributor III

Goldenwave Kernel 4.0 is in a very early test state and at least it should be released by Linus Torwalds. So be patient until end of may. 3.19 is the actual candidate if we talk about a minimum of stability.

But at least partially i agree, Intel should take care of an actual version of the mainline kernel sources patched for Edison in github (or somewhere else). That would be the base for a lot of developers to setup nearly any kind of distributions (not only Debian) and to config the kernel with neede modules individually.

Today we have an unpopular Yocto Linux which includes

- an older kernel version missing a lot of useful modules

- a package repository missing lots of useful packages

The idea behind Yocto maybe fine but i'm pretty sure that most of developers don't want to learn how Yocto works. Developers want to start with best practice used since years at least on x86 systems.

If Intel wants to stay with Yocto in future, it's ok, but please publish patched kernel sources for Edison to keep flexibility in the Linux world and developers like me in mood.

咏梁
Novice

hello, what's the meaning of mini stability of 3.19, do you have a 3.19 kernel file that can be work on edison? and if yes, can you share it or give a guide how to complie it? thankyou.

MMied
New Contributor III

No, i would also like to have that version including all useful modules for Edison

With "minimum of stability" I meant that new kernels should at least be released by Linus Torwalds which is usually the case every 3 months.

Currently this is 3.19, the next will be 4.0 and should be released end of May or June.

Sorry, if my bad English sometimes leads to misunderstandings.