cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAuff
Beginner

ssh into Ubuntu compute stick is extremely laggy

Hi,

I added sshd to the Ubuntu stick and did a full apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade, I've also updated the stick firmware to 31 and it now boots nicely while headless.

Network connections *out* of the stick are as speedy as you would expect, including ssh-ing into servers etc. from the console. ssh into the stick, however, is really laggy. It's not login time (my dns is all set up, but in any case the problem is not login speed - that's totally fine) it's when you're logged in, response is very lumpy. It's sort of like an over aggressive nagle algorithm would feel, but I don't think it's that (a) because I've tried changing socket options, using -X etc. and (b) it's variable - the number of bytes that I type and how long it takes to respond seems too random. The data returned is plenty fast though (eg. you can watch top update in realtime).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if the wifi latency is very asymmetric or something.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MAuff
Beginner

Also, if I have two ssh connections, they both "unblock" at the same time. I wonder if it could be something powersaving - either the wifi or cpu? Since there's no console/gui login.

MAuff
Beginner

FWIW I've disabled the bluetooth kernel module, in case it was due to interference, with no joy.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, markauf:

I have some troubleshooting you could do with this situation related to WiFi speeds.

1. Please make sure the unit is being powered on by the power adapter it came with and not with USB port from a TV or monitor.

2. Try uninstalling/Installing the driver for the wireless adapter

3. You could also perform a flush DNS to see the behavior of your system.

4. If the connection is of for web browsing or other applications, I would say is more like configuration issue for the SSH.

I would also like to recommend you to visit the Ubuntu forums to check this issue.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Esteban C