Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMade2
New Contributor II

ssh to Edison

Jump to solution

Edison iwconfig:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"hillfox# 1" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point: 00:06:25:0F:63:3D Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=31 dBm Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Encryption key:off Power Management:on Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-22 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:11 Invalid misc:1 Missed beacon:0

ifconfig:

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr fc:c2:de:34:ea:fe inet addr:192.168.1.71 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:385 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:294 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:41187 (40.2 KiB) TX bytes:230440 (225.0 KiB)

I can get can Edison device information screen on my browser by using 192.168.1.71 for the URL and when I try to ssh with putty using the same ip address on port 22 it appears to connect. Attempting to log in as 'root' and using the passphrase I confirmed in hostapd.conf I get access denied followed by a disconnect by the server.

What am I doing wrong?

The WAP connects to my DSL modem which serves as a router.

Thanks.

JM

Accepted Solutions
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I saw you opened a new thread with the same questions lets continue in there.

Regards,

Charlie

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi JM,

I have some questions:

1. Which image are you using? (Run configure_edison –version)

2. Which OS are you using on your PC?

3. Is the password on /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf - "wpa_passphrase: " the same you use to log-in into the board?

4. Which terminal emulator are you using to connect through SSH?

You can try running systemctl stop connman and also, you can try with the Terminal Emulator included in the XDK IDE.

Regards,

Charlie

JMade2
New Contributor II

Charlie,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The last version I loaded was 25.5-15 after which I loaded a patch by B.Brotherton (https://github.com/LGSInnovations/edison-bbcharge-patch LGSInnovations/edison-bbcharge-patch · GitHub) that enabled setting of the RTC battery charging parameters. That was after a conversation with you regarding an upcoming new version that would accomplish the same thing.

When I try configure_edison --version now, I get a response: could not determine firmware version

OS Windows 7 pro

password to log into the board is different than the wpa passphrase .... but I've tried both with the same results

using putty in ssh mode

Jules

JMade2
New Contributor II

Charlie,

When I cat/etc/version, I find:

custom_build_azureuser@20150821163131

Jules

JMade2
New Contributor II

Charlie,

More developments. Found a hint in an earlier Community post

from the serial connection, tried

ifconfig usb0 down

ifconfig wlan0 down

ifconfig wlano up

can successfully log in with IP address using putty or teraterm

but

very very slow .. if I wait a bit, first few characters typed echo immediately but then things slow way down

I wait seconds for a keypress echo or response to a command

?????

Thanks,

Jules

JMade2
New Contributor II

One more item:

The wpa passphrase is not accepted, I have to use the password that I use for the standard serial connection.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I saw you opened a new thread with the same questions lets continue in there.

Regards,

Charlie

View solution in original post

JMade2
New Contributor II

Charlie,

Will do. I'll close this thread and move to the other.

Jules