Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Future of OpenCL

jose-jesus-ambriz-me
What is the strategy of Intel about OpenCL?? I don't understand why done it.
Thanks for your atention.
jam
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ARNON_P_Intel
Employee
Hi,
I'm not sure I got your question right,
However, OpenCL on Intel CPU is available today, you can check more at:intel.com/go/opencl
Hope it helps,
Arnon
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The search tool will show you some working web pages about Intel OpenCL e.g.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installation-notes-opencl-sdk/?wapkw=%28OpenCL%29
There is customer interest and hope in the goal that OpenCL might support portable programming including platforms which aren't well supported by extended C compilers.
0 Kudos
jose-jesus-ambriz-me
Thanks for your answer!
I checked this video:
ATI Stream OpenCL Technical Overview [Part 1] - What is OpenCL?
After that, my conclusion is:
OpenCL is a layer between the programmer that don't know about threads programming and the Operating System that needs them for split a process between all cores. is that?
For example, I have a "for" that I know that could be done with thread programming; but I don't know how! I could programming on OpenCL using special syntaxis and this software doing the threads by me??
have I understood it ok?
Its correct my conclusion?
thanks for your attentions! best regards.
jam
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
ATI programming isn't topical on these forums. Presumably OpenCL addresses the question of splitting a for() among threads, as do OpenMP, TBB, cilk+, among models more often discussed here.
0 Kudos
Dan_P_Intel
Employee
I guess you might say that. OpenCL goes a little step further than that and tries to provide an abstract layer over what the actual architecture might be. At runtime you can tell your app to run over a certain grid of processing nodes (logical nodes) and let the underlying OpenCL kernel map the tasks to the actual hardware (physical nodes)as it sees fit. This enables things like GPGPU where any knowledge of OS threading wouldn't do you much good (or maybe I don't know yet how to manage threads on the GPU from WinAPI :P).

But yeah, OpenCL would do the threads for you and can sometimes (I would say more often than not) make thread programming less messier than OS threading.
0 Kudos
jose-jesus-ambriz-me
Thank you for your reply (Dan Petre) ; You try to understand the questions and don't make a judgment about it.My first question had the sense that you said and anothers:
*How willintroduceOpenCLin thesoftware developmentindustry?
*What are themain challengesOpenCLto beused widely inthe industry?
* Are you planninga specific amount ofversions afterwhich theOpenCLshouldbe wellpositioned?
0 Kudos