Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Identifying false sharing on Xeon 5600 series

zoolii
Beginner
Hi All,

Any idea about how to identify false sharing on xeon 5600 series. I found an article http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/avoiding-and-identifying-false-sharing-among-threads/which describes same for core 2 duo and core i7 . Or whatever applicable to core i7 will also be applicable to Xeon also ?. But PTU does not give options to add MEM_UNCORE_RETIRED.OTHER_CORE_L2_HITM (as describedin the article) on Xeon E5640.

Thank you,
Zooli
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
PTU core I7 options apply equally to Xeon 5600. False sharing will be more severe on account of the unshared caches.
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee
Hi Zooli,

do you see any of MEM_UNCORE_RETIRED.* events in PTU on your CPU?

I can also recommend to try the most recent update of VTune Performance Analyzer (there was one of maybe two updates published this summer) instead of PTU. I remember it should have support of Xeon 5600 series.

Roman
0 Kudos
zoolii
Beginner
Hi Roman,

I was using VMWare and VTunewill not run on VMWare. I will try VTune on a real machine.

Thank you,
Zooli
0 Kudos
Roman_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Zooli,

as far as I know CPU event sampling (both in PTU and in VTune) is not supposed to work in a virtual machine.

Roman

0 Kudos