Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Intel Thread Checker installation on ubuntu

drunkenrom
Beginner
I am trying to install Intel thread Checker on an ubuntu distribution.
I have followed all the instructions on the installation guide and the installation seemed to end normally.
When i take a .gcc file and run the command > tcheck_cl ./primes.gcc nothing seems to happen.It just creates a txt file with what would be the programs output, instead of running actually the results.
I have no idea of what goes wrong .Can anybody save me?
Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Of course, you could name your a.out file type with a name ending in .gcc, but there's no reason to do so. If they give a specific method including compile and link options, you should follow that. Maybe the .gcc is just to distinguish the special build.
If you are using Intel linux compilers with thread checker, it's preferable to compile and link with the -tcheck option, so that tcheck_cl is needed only to display the contents of the data file (threadchecker.thr) after running. Maybe the gcc build script accomplishes something similar.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As thread checker is associated with VTune (not that it's entirely obvious for linux), the VTune forum is the place to look for help.
I don't know what you mean by a .gcc file. You need an a.out type file, compiled and linked with -g option.
0 Kudos
drunkenrom
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
As thread checker is associated with VTune (not that it's entirely obvious for linux), the VTune forum is the place to look for help.
I don't know what you mean by a .gcc file. You need an a.out type file, compiled and linked with -g option.
Inside the intel thread checker directory there is a sample directory. The official guide suggests to compile and link them using the makefile script that exists inside.This script generates binaries withe the .gcc extention, i havent heard of them before.
It is also strange that in windows is very clear the existence of VTune.In the guide for linux the word VTune doesnt exist.
I ll try to compile them by my own with the traditional method and see what happens.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Of course, you could name your a.out file type with a name ending in .gcc, but there's no reason to do so. If they give a specific method including compile and link options, you should follow that. Maybe the .gcc is just to distinguish the special build.
If you are using Intel linux compilers with thread checker, it's preferable to compile and link with the -tcheck option, so that tcheck_cl is needed only to display the contents of the data file (threadchecker.thr) after running. Maybe the gcc build script accomplishes something similar.
0 Kudos
drunkenrom
Beginner
Quoting - drunkenrom
I am trying to install Intel thread Checker on an ubuntu distribution.
I have followed all the instructions on the installation guide and the installation seemed to end normally.
When i take a .gcc file and run the command > tcheck_cl ./primes.gcc nothing seems to happen.It just creates a txt file with what would be the programs output, instead of running actually the results.
I have no idea of what goes wrong .Can anybody save me?
Thanks a lot.
Finally i understood that the problem was the non correct installation of the program.After disinstalling and installing again everything worked just fine.
I would like to thank tim18 who spent his times helping me.His indications helped me think better what the problem could be.
0 Kudos