Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Pentium 4 fails the Intel Hyper-Threading Test.

swapnilrustagi1
Beginner
My Pentium 4 fails the Intel Hyper-Threading Test. I got mad when I saw that my chipset passed but not my processor. System specs -

Operating System - Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
Processor - Intel Pentium 4 - Prescott 2.4 Ghz ( Well it supports Hyper-Threading, atleast as for this page - http://ark.intel.com/MySearch.aspx?HyperThreading=true)
BIOS - Gigabyte Socket 478 Chipset Intel 845GV 8I845GVM-RZ; Award Modular BIOS v6.00 PG

Reports attached. I know I have it disabled in BIOS.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It's described as testing whether all the elements are in place to support Hyper-Threading. It doesn't over-ride BIOS settings; thus it would be expected to change its report when you enable/disable in BIOS setup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
You should check the BIOS CMOS Setup configuration before running the test.
The BIOS option might have one of the following names:
Hyper-Threading Technology
Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
HTT
Intel HTT
The option name depends on the BIOS manufacturer and version.
If you find one of the aforementioned options, you should change the value to Enabled.
Cheers,
Gaston
0 Kudos
swapnilrustagi1
Beginner
Even if BIOS fails the test, the processor must pass. My BIOS specifications show that I do have an Intel Pentium 4 with HT by my BIOS does not show any such option.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
If the BIOS doesn't show you such option but the CPU has Hyper-Threading, the operating system won't see the additional logical processors or hardware threads. Thus, any application runniong on the operating system won't be able to take advantage of all the logical processors or hardware threads.
Have you checked availability of BIOS upgrades? Perhaps the BIOS doesn't support Hyper-Threading.
If you just see one logical processor in Windows or Linux, the BIOS or the chipset don't support Hyper-Threading, and therefore, you cannot use Hyper-Threading.
Cheers,
Gaston
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
Heyphuongvan,
I'm unable to understand your post.
0 Kudos
swapnilrustagi1
Beginner
You mean that if it is disabled in BIOS, even Intel Hyper-Threading Test Utility will not be able to identify that whether the processor supports HT or not. Am I correct???
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It's described as testing whether all the elements are in place to support Hyper-Threading. It doesn't over-ride BIOS settings; thus it would be expected to change its report when you enable/disable in BIOS setup.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
TimP's explanation is very clear.If you cannot find one of the options to turn on / enable Intel Hyper-Threading Technology, either the BIOS or the motherboard don't provide real Hyper-Threading support.
The software runs on the operating system and the software cannot override settings at the BIOS level.
0 Kudos