Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Smoke Framework (Concurrent Game Framework)

DDd1
Beginner

Back in April, Intel showcased a demo of a game framework called Smoke on the Nehalem platform. At the time it was reported in several web sites, that the source code for this demo would be released, soon. Here we are just about to get the retail version of the Nehalem platform in our homes and offices, and that got me wondering if Intel still intends to release the code?

I would like to implement a trial and error framework off my own. Given that i have close to zero experience with concurrent programming, it would be very helpful to have advanced source code to look at.

Cheers,

-DDd

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AaronTersteeg
Employee
Quoting - DDd

Back in April, Intel showcased a demo of a game framework called Smoke on the Nehalem platform. At the time it was reported in several web sites, that the source code for this demo would be released, soon. Here we are just about to get the retail version of the Nehalem platform in our homes and offices, and that got me wondering if Intel still intends to release the code?

I would like to implement a trial and error framework off my own. Given that i have close to zero experience with concurrent programming, it would be very helpful to have advanced source code to look at.

Cheers,

-DDd

Orionand I are working on getting Smoke posted ASAP. We have most of the files ready to go and expect to have live this week. I'll try to remember to put a link in the forum as well.

Aaron

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dmitry_Vyukov
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - DDd

I also would like to take a look at the Smoke source code. There is a note in the presentation:

"If you are interested in the Smoke code, please email SmokeCode@Intel.com and well keep you up-to-date"

I've sent an email few moments ago (no answer yet). Try to send an email too.

0 Kudos
DDd1
Beginner
Quoting - Dmitriy V'jukov

I also would like to take a look at the Smoke source code. There is a note in the presentation:

"If you are interested in the Smoke code, please email SmokeCode@Intel.com and well keep you up-to-date"

I've sent an email few moments ago (no answer yet). Try to send an email too.

Hi Dimitry,

I and a few others have sent emails to that address, after five days without an anwser, we thought it would be a good idea to post this thread, just in case someone lurking these forums worked on Smoke, and could give us an update.

Let's hope and see :)

EDIT: Found this page but it appears io be a stub: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/smoke-game-technology-demo-download

0 Kudos
Dmitry_Vyukov
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - DDd

Hi Dimitry,

I and a few others have sent emails to that address, after five days without an anwser, we thought it would be a good idea to post this thread, just in case someone lurking these forums worked on Smoke, and could give us an update.

Let's hope and see :)

EDIT: Found this page but it appears io be a stub: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/smoke-game-technology-demo-download

Have you tried to contact Orion Granatir - the author of the page? You can try to contact him via ISN Private Messages (Profile -> Messages), or via email (I can guess that his email is orion.r.granatir at you_know_where).

0 Kudos
AaronTersteeg
Employee
Quoting - DDd

Cheers,

-DDd

Orionand I are working on getting Smoke posted ASAP. We have most of the files ready to go and expect to have live this week. I'll try to remember to put a link in the forum as well.

Aaron

0 Kudos
AaronTersteeg
Employee
Quoting - DDd

Cheers,

-DDd

The Smoke - Game Technology Demo is nowavailablefor download on the Intel Software Network. You can read all about it and download athttp://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/smoke-game-technology-demo

0 Kudos
Dmitry_Vyukov
Valued Contributor I

The Smoke - Game Technology Demo is nowavailablefor download on the Intel Software Network. You can read all about it and download athttp://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/smoke-game-technology-demo

Cool! Thank you. I notice there are also some interesting docs with description of run-time.

0 Kudos
gonx
Beginner

Hi,

I'm not so sure if this is the thread to post my question on the smoke framework but by any chance is there a VC 9 port of the smoke source code?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Orion_G_Intel
Employee
Quoting - gonx

Hi,

I'm not so sure if this is the thread to post my question on the smoke framework but by any chance is there a VC 9 port of the smoke source code?

Thanks.

This is a good place to post questions. You can also post them on the Whatif.intel.com Smoke site ^_^
We start to port Smoke to Visual Stuido 2008 (and VC9) but Havok did not have a VC9 version at the time. The latest version of the free Havok SDK should now haveVC9 support. You should be able to download the latest Havok, open the solution in 2008, build Ogre, and then build everything else... let me know how it goes :D I hope it's easy and straight forward enough. We migh consider using VC9 for future versions of Smoke.
Thanks,
Orion
0 Kudos