Intel® NUC Elements
Support for Intel® NUC Compute Element, Board Element and Chassis Element
87 Discussions

Is the Nuc 9 Extreme Compute Element upgradable to newer generations?

Reboot
Beginner

Hello, I was wondering if somebody could tell me if the Nuc Extreme compute elements are cross gen compatible?  Could I take a Dragon Canyon computer element and install it into the Ghost Canyon Nuc?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello Reboot,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate the information provided. In order to get this information for you, please confirm the following information:

- To confirm, are you trying to install an Intel® NUC 12 Extreme Compute Element into an Intel® NUC 9 Extreme Kit (Ghost Canyon)?

- Please provide the exact model of the compute element and the NUC kit.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Reboot
Beginner

@Steven_Intel wrote:

- To confirm, are you trying to install an Intel® NUC 12 Extreme Compute Element into an Intel® NUC 9 Extreme Kit (Ghost Canyon)?

- Please provide the exact model of the compute element and the NUC kit.

- Yes, I currently don't have a NUC 12 Extreme, just a question for the future.
- BXNUC9I7QNX

n_scott_pearson wrote:

My understanding is that the PCIe 3.0 backplane is not validated to support use for PCIe 4.0. It may work or you could see horrid problems.

Hope this helps with your decision making,

Hmm, so is this more of just keeping mindfulness that I may hit some inherit bandwidth limits, or more specific to the design of the backplane?  I think the NUC 11 was gen 4, so I'm curious if this was a known issue on that as well.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

My understanding is that the PCIe 3.0 backplane is not validated to support use for PCIe 4.0. It may work or you could see horrid problems.

Hope this helps with your decision making,

...S

Steven_Intel

We appreciate the information provided, as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Hello Reboot,

We appreciate your patience.

The Intel® NUC12EDBi9 comes with an Intel® Core™ i9-12900 Processor, which needs a Z690 Chipset or a 600 series (no overclocking), and since the Intel® NUC9i7QNX comes with a Mobile Intel® CM246 Chipset, this will not be compatible.

Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.