Intel® NUC Elements
Support for Intel® NUC Compute Element, Board Element and Chassis Element

NUC9Pro chassis fan noise

cann
Novice

Hello. I have NUC9VXQNB and there is a problem with chassis fans, they constantly up/down even CPU load is very minimal and short (like opening a browser), and this is annoying. I haven't found any setting to control them in BIOS, is there any way to reduce their speed or make it more smoother in PRMs ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @cann

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Have you checked/tried the different BIOS settings available and their options? for instance:

• Cooling > Fan Speed
  • Cooling > Fan Control Mode
  • Cooling > Fan Off Capability
  • Cooling > Fan Off Temperature

There is additional information about BIOS options available on this link: BIOS Settings Glossary for Intel® NUC.

This glossary describes the settings and options available in the Intel® NUC BIOS. The presence of menus and BIOS settings are dependent on your Intel NUC model, hardware components installed, and the BIOS version.

2- If the behavior persists, please provide screenshots of the BIOS settings that you have and their values.

3- Could you please provide a short video or an audio clip showing the behavior?

4- Is this happening since the very first day that you have this Intel® NUC?

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

cann
Novice

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

1 - I have only this option. And it's usually in one of the 2 states: 0 RPM or 1500RPM, no option for 700 RPM persistent for example

• Cooling > Fan Speed

- Attached

- Attached

- Yes, I have this NUC for a month

- Attached

AndrewG_Intel

Hello cann

Thank you for all the information provided.

Please allow us to look into this and as soon as we have more details available we will be posting back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

cann
Novice

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

Thanks! Waiting for your reply.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello cann

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We have checked the BIOS settings and we noticed that Fan speed at 0%, this means the fan will start running whenever requires to cool the NUC down. However, based on the audio file, this seems to be a hardware issue. The Intel® NUC does not sound like that once you turn on the NUC so we recommend trying to replace the Intel® NUC.

Because our community support cannot process a warranty replacement due to the different logistics across the world, in this case, we recommend reaching out to Intel® Customer Support directly through phone or chat and review warranty availability for your Intel® NUC.

Here is the "Contact us link".

Please make sure to select your country or region and to contact us within your local business Support hours. Also, feel free to refer to this post once you contact Intel Customer Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello cann

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

cann
Novice

Hello. I missed your first message.

Ok, I understand that this is more like hardware issue that fans always up and down even with a tiny CPU load, I will try to replace NUC