Intel® NUC Elements
Support for Intel® NUC Compute Element, Board Element and Chassis Element
87 Discussions

Software Studio on NUC 12 Extreme Kit - NUC12DCMi7

Decca
New Contributor II

NUC Software Studio is now setting all system fans to zero RPM when run. Subsequent fan settings within Software Studio are ignored. This is new behavior.

This is on Windows 11 version 22H2.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Decca, n_scott_pearson, and AlHill,

I sent all your feedback up to the NUC Product Team and I hope newer versions of the NUC Software Studio address the issues reported in this community, but for now, all I can say is that this is the expected behavior and there is not much else Customer Support can try to change this behavior.

Please let me know if you are not okay with closing this case and if so, what would be your particular concern?

Regards,

Ronny G

View solution in original post

62 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There used to be a Screen Shot feature, but it was lost when Intel converted from their Visual BIOS implementation to AMI's.

Yea, you have Balanced plan with Fan Off disabled. I customized mine further than this, but reverting back to the default worked just the same. BTW, I am also using the Balanced Power Plan in both BIOS and Windows settings; I wonder if that will make a difference?

As to cause, you know, there are some bizarre issues in Windows based upon order of package installation. This is why Intel often suggests the clean install processes; they work in a significant number of cases. In your case, however, I cannot think of what packages would even be in the picture.

I have a feeling that the EC firmware may play a role in this. Can you verify that the BIOS is actually saying that the 03.0B.00 FW is running on the EC? I have seen a few cases where BIOS upgrades did not apply the newest EC FW unless you ran the BIOS Update using the F7 method twice. Check the ME FW version while you are there.

...S

Decca
New Contributor II
Decca
New Contributor II

Attached is a video of INSS 1.35 that is preserved on my external bootable thunderbolt system, showing perfect behavior regarding fan speeds being unmolested.

This is the behavior I expect from 1.37.

I would revert to 1.35 if I could...

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Decca,

I am escalating this issue to the NUC Product Team, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Decca,

I escalated this issue and the NUC Product Team was not able to replicate the behavior that you are reporting, they got the same results that I am getting in my sample units. System FANs not spinning when the system is idle but as soon as an application demands system resources, the NUC Studio Software immediately reports FAN activity.

Please refer to the attached video and please provide an equivalent video, you may use Prime95* or any other application that forces intensive system utilization.

Regards,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Attaching the video for reference.

Decca
New Contributor II

I repeated your test with prime95, and that does in fact cause the system fans to spin up as per your video, so this negates my previous comments about the fans never spinning up after running INSS. It seems that it needs a severe load to do this.

However, they subsequently spin right down to zero when prime95 is terminated. As I have noted previously, this is not the behaviour I expect or want. With no system fan activity, my system runs too warm with the RTX3700 installed. I desire a constant airflow. This reduces the CPU and ambient temperatures by over 10 degrees centigrade.

So here is the question - it seems that INSS is perhaps enabling the fan off setting, contrary to what is set in the BIOS.

Furthermore, how does the minimum duty cycle setting even work? If you read my dialogue with Scott, if he sets the cooling the same as me (Balanced, which sets a minimum duty cycle of 25% and fan off disabled) , why do his fans even spin down to zero? What am I not understanding here?

This is so very frustrating.

Decca
New Contributor II

After a few more hours of investigation, and being able to go back and forth between two bootable systems on the NUC, one with NSS v1.35 and one with NSS v1.37, I believe I can more succinctly demonstrate this problem.

They can be viewed in the two screen recordings attached, and if you folks try to replicate what I show in the 1.37 recording, please report back what you find.

Bear in mind that NSS starts up in the same mode as when it was last run, so in both these recordings attached, that is Custom mode. I was surprised to discover that, in this case, the system fans do NOT spin down in v1.37. I was further surprised that, even in v1.35, if it starts in Balanced mode, the fans DO spin down. On the face of it, that implies that there is no difference in behaviour.

Being somewhat puzzled, I progressed. Going from Balanced mode back to Custom mode in v1.35 brings the system fans back up to speed. This does NOT happen in v1.37.  Neither can you adjust the fan settings whatsoever at this point in v1.37. They are completely unresponsive. In v1.35 they can be fine tuned as expected. This is the bug.

So there you have it. I suspect that you folks are seeing expected behaviour because you are invoking NSS in balanced mode, and the fans will spin down to zero unless running a heavy load.

Out of interest, what time zone are you folks in? I'm in the UK, so GMT, so we're only getting about one back and forth response each day, sadly!

Also, when can you send me a NUC 13 for testing !!!!

n_scott_pearson
I am in Oregon, PST TZ, 8 hours behind you.
I am retired, so no control over hardware. I haven't seen any 13th gen stuff myself. I ask; they say 'get in line'... ;^)
...S
n_scott_pearson

Ok, after playing with this for a while, I am convinced that this tool is nothing but a steaming pile...

1. When I start the tool and enter the Performance Mode scene, my custom settings are immediately wiped out, overridden by the  default Balanced settings. This should *not* be happening. It should *always* remain consistent with the BIOS configuration. If I was configured for Custom, then it should start up in Custom with *my* temperature and duty cycle selections.
  2. Clicking on Custom should always return me to the settings that existed at the start of the session, not some bastardization of the settings from the previous (Balanced) mode.
  3. Clicking on any of the Cool/Quiet/Balanced/Custom buttons should *not* cause any changes to be applied. There needs to be a separate button that actually applies any changes that you make.
  4. This tool is completely useless of the setting it applies are not reflected in the BIOS configuration. It can't only be communicating with the EC; it *has* to be applying the changes in the BIOS as well.
  5. Also seeing a BIOS issue: Why can I only choose the processor temperature for fan speed control decision-making? Why can I not, for example, select the memory temperature?

Without it working as I have described, I consider this tool to be nothing but a joke.

...S

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Decca,

I am not so sure if I am understanding your last question correctly.

Please see below the settings I have in my Lab unit when I was replicating this issue, there is nothing special, I am running defaults and my system is quickly responding by turning the fans on when needed.

DC Cooling.png

If you want your system to run cooler, I am guessing the best option is to go with Cool, Custom or Fixed within Cooling settings in BIOS. Do you have any specific questions or configuration you are having issues with? I can try to replicate and check the behavior on my system.

DC Cooling2.png

Regards,

Ronny G

n_scott_pearson

Ronny, 

For one, the OP (like me) is disabling the Fan Off capability. It appears that the latest INSS release(s?) is/are ignoring (or forgetting) the user's configuration. It should be reading this configuration and writing any changes that the user makes back into the BIOS for application during subsequent POSTs and power-cycles.

...S

Decca
New Contributor II

Exactly Scott - as you said.

Ron - did you even try to replicate what I suggested earlier in post at 11-11-2022 11:59?

I guess not - unbelievable...

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Decca,

I was able to replicate the steps you provided on 11-11-2022.

I am working with the NUC Team to address this issue.

Regards,

Ronny G

AlHill
Super User

@Ronny_G_Intel Also, it sure would be nice if NSS Performance Mode, Fan synced with the bios settings, or provided an option to "use bios settings".  

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hello everyone,

As I've just learned that the Intel® NUC Software Studio (NSS) is working as expected.

The only time the Power and Fan settings in the BIOS and NSS will read the same is if you set the BIOS settings, then install NSS. However, if you change anything, either in the BIOS or in NSS, the change in one will NOT go to the other. However, they will take effect. Let me explain.

If the BIOS power setting is set to Balanced and the NSS power setting is set to Power Saving that means when the NUC is in the BIOS/POST, the power setting will be Balanced. However, once the Operating System takes control, the power setting will be what the NSS setting is, in this case, Power Saving.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Ronny G

n_scott_pearson

I gotta be honest, this is awful, just awful. Any app like this that cannot synchronize with the BIOS is utterly useless. It's as bad as XTU.

Just saying,

...S

P.S. There was a bug reported in this app's startup wherein it corrupts the fan speed control configuration running in the EC, resulting in fans being turned off. I have heard nothing about this bug being fixed. Is it happening?

AlHill
Super User

My feelings are the same.   In my case, when running the app in "cool mode", and it is 20°c warmer than the bios settings by themselves, makes the NSS absolutely worthless.  No, using "working as expected" is a cop out. 

My solution: use it to set the pretty LEDs, then uninstall it and shutdown.  Then boot.  Your LEDs will remain as you have set them, and you are 20°c cooler. 

Jean_Intel

Hello @Decca,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi Decca, n_scott_pearson, and AlHill,

I sent all your feedback up to the NUC Product Team and I hope newer versions of the NUC Software Studio address the issues reported in this community, but for now, all I can say is that this is the expected behavior and there is not much else Customer Support can try to change this behavior.

Please let me know if you are not okay with closing this case and if so, what would be your particular concern?

Regards,

Ronny G

AlHill
Super User

Closing it is fine with me.  My NUC is running cool, and I do not need NSS to control the LEDs.  Pity that the NUC product team considers this "expected Behaviour".