Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWong45
Beginner

0071 brick my nuc8i5bek

after update to 0071, got snow immediately after boot up, both USB-C and HDMI port, tried multiple monitors, same result, no way I can get into the BIOS screenIMG_0479.jpg

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Try reinstalling this BIOS, but this time do so using BIOS Recovery process.

I​f this allows you to get into BIOS Setup, I suggest you also reset the BIOS Configuration.

H​ope this helps,

...S

JWong45
Beginner

I changed the jumper but will not boot to the BIOS screen, now sure what other method I can use to "reinstall" BIOS

JWong45
Beginner

tried usb drive with BIOS and jumper method, hitting F7 continuously and nothing happen, snow on screen

LeonWaksman
Super User

@JWong45​ 

Follow those instruction to recover your Bios using recovery method with the Security Jumper removed:

• Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file BE0071.bio https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28801/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126147 . Format your USB with Quick Format option uncheckedDo not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows.
  • Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  • Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper.
  • Insert the USB with the BE0071.bio file.
  • Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  • When bios recovery is completed, switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  • Power your NUC ON.

If Bios recovery will not help, try to reset your Bios:

• Power ON your NUC and repeatably press the F2 key for about 15 seconds. You should be in Bios settings (even if you see "garbage" on screen).
  • Press F9 and then "Y". This will set Bios to default settings.
  • Press F10 and then "Y", to set default settings and exit form Bios.

Hope this will help.

Leon

JWong45
Beginner

Tried both methods and none will work. I use another windows machine to format a USB with fat32 with the BE071.bio, with the jumper in the recovery position, powered up and wait, just the blue LED and nothing changed after 5-10 mins. No go

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JWong45​ 

1. Please read again my post. In order to perform Bios recovery, the Security Jumper have to be removed (pins open), rather than be in  "recovery position"
  2. Did you try to reset bios to default settings?
  3. If this will nor work, disconnect the CMOS battery and reconnect it after 15 minutes. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006787/mini-pcs.html

Leon

JWong45
Beginner

Ok I can see it post and do the recovery when no jumper (missed your “removed”). It said successfully and when I pump the jumper back to normal 1-2, snow occur again

JWong45
Beginner

I tried an earlier version of 051 and it wouldn’t allow me to restore to an older version. I can recover the 071 all day long and show success but afterwards will result in snow when jumper is back on (1-2 or 2-3)

JWong45
Beginner

I finally was able to get the system working!!! Thanks a million!

1) open the jumper, do the restore via USB

2) reboot the NUC without the jumper

3) go to BIOS screen F2 and do F9, F10

4) plug the jumper back to 1-2

5) NUC is now back to normal

6) key in Windows 10 recovery key

Not sure why the BIOS install causing this issue in the 1st place....

But really appreciate LWAKSMAN's help, I swear I am going to have Intel to send me a replacement. But then I don't have to wait and now back in business!

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. The screen is distorted "snow", because probably you have changed the graphic settings in Bios. Could be that the IDG Aperture Size was set to 2048MB (this setting was deleted in version 0071).
  2. You should read my post again. I've given you instructions how to reset Bios to default settings. Try this.
  3. If resetting Bios to default setting doesn't helps, reboot your NUC in SAFE mode: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html
  4. Yes, if you wish, you can downgrade your Bios to version 0051 using the same recovery method.
  5. Again, the for Bios recovery, the jumper have to be removed. For Normal operation - pins 1-2, for Locked position (no update possible), pins 2-3.

Leon

JWong45
Beginner

You are right, I was messing around the GFx setting before (Aperture set to max) due to screen wake up issue. The monitor will wake up from S3 but not after a prolong standby (screen off). Hope 0071 fix it...

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. The version 0071 will fix the screen wake up issue.
  2. Follow my instructions in my post above, how to reset Bios using "blind" method. Allow 2-3 seconds pause, after depressing F9 and F10, before confirming with "Y".

Leon

JWong45
Beginner

0071 still got the monitor sleep issue

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, unfortunately. I suggest you change the Windows configuration to disable Monitor Sleep.

...S