Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

10-bit color on windows 10 ?

Hello, I own an Intel NUC NUC8I7BEH2 for several days now, it's amazing, plugged to my Sony Bravia TV 4k hdr, running with Windows 10 x64.

But the problem is that I'm on sdr (because permanent hdr looks washed out) on windows 10 and stuck with 8-bit colors. When I activate permanent HDR on Windows 10, the scene from my tv automatically changes from "graphic" to "HDR" scene, but it gets stuck on "ditherring 8-bit color" while it should be on 10-bit color.

Can't seem to find a solution nowhere, and I looked for everywhere, nobody knows why and how to fix this.

The main problem is that whenever I play HDR content on my NUC, with my tv in "auto scene" mode, it stays stucks to "graphic mode" and doesn't change to "HDR mode". My HDMI cable is fine, my tv also, because on my older PC with Nvidia graphics I had no HDR passtrough problems with the same cable and same tv.

Would that change anything if I buy a USB-C/thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable ? (a good one, which support 4k/60hrz of course)

Running with latest drivers, etc...

Thank you if you can help, and sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted

Hello MSchw36,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

By design, the graphics driver passes this task on to the OS. In other words, the operating system controls the bit depth. It is worth mentioning that neither the Intel® Graphics Control Panel nor the Intel® Graphics Command Center have options to modify the Color Depth.

Please follow these recommendations and let us know if the issue persists.

1. Are you able to disable this "Auto Scene" mode while playing HDR content?

2. Please provide steps to reproduce this problem.

3. Try the following tests.

• Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz but with YCbCr or RGB switched off (Provide a photo or screenshot of the display's info screen)
  • Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz with YCbCr or RGB switched off and in Windows 'Display Settings' turn on the 'HDR and WCG' option. (Provide a photo or screenshot of the display's info screen)
  • Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz with YCbCr or RGB switched on and in Windows 'Display Settings' turn on the 'HDR and WCG' option. (Provide a photo or screenshot of the display's info screen)

Note: Check if you can enable YCbCr or RGB on your TV. This can also be enabled on the Intel® Graphics Command Center.

4. Attach these reports:

Generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU).

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

DxDiag

1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.
  2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.
  3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.
  4. Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello MSchw36,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello, thank you for your quick answer.

1. Are you able to disable this "Auto Scene" mode while playing HDR content? ---- 2. Please provide steps to reproduce this problem.

So yes, I can chose whatever "scene" I want to with my tv, so for now I choosed to stay on "game" scene, and whenever I play HDR video content I chose manually "hdr scene", because anyway when I let my tv on "auto-scene" mode, It doesn't switch to "HDR scene" so... But if choose to activate permanent hdr directly on windows, my tv switches to hdr scene whatever scene I am into (even game scene for example), but when I go to graphics settings on windows, it says that I'm on 8-bit ditherring ("faux dégradé de 8-bits" in french), and not 10-bit color. That is my main and only issue.

Capture.JPG

3. Try the following tests.

• Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz but with YCbCr or RGB switched off (Provide a photo or screenshot of the display's info screen)
  • Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz with YCbCr or RGB switched off and in Windows 'Display Settings' turn on the 'HDR and WCG' option. (Provide a photo or screenshot of the display's info screen)
  • Use 3840 x 2160 @ 60hz with YCbCr or RGB switched on and in Windows 'Display Settings' turn on the 'HDR and WCG' option. (Provide a photo or screenshot of the display's info screen)

Note: Check if you can enable YCbCr or RGB on your TV. This can also be enabled on the Intel® Graphics Command Center.

I did try all of these resolutions, still the same "8-bit dithering" problem. BUT I have found from a reddit user that in 3840 x 2160p @ 30hrz, 10-bit color is available !!

Here it is (Still in french, sorry.)

Capture2.JPG

(Horrible mode to use anyway, with mouse lag etc...) So I don't really know what it means ? Does it mean that my NUC can only support 10-bit color in 3840 x 2160 @ 30hrz ?

4. Attach these reports:

Generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU).

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

DxDiag

1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.
  2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.
  3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.
  4. Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Here it is with this message.

Thanks again for your time and again, sorry for my aproximate english.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello MSchw36,

Your Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH is capable of supporting 3840x2160 @60Hz, 10-bit. We are currently investigating this behavior, and would like to have more information about your setup.

1. What is your exact TV model?
  2. Also, please run the Intel® SSU report and attach the report to this thread. This will be really helpful.

Regards,

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello again, well I did attached the txt file with the dxdiag file on my message beyond but as I thought after seeing it, it did not uploaded it so I will try again here.

The exact model of my tv is Sony Bravia kd55xe7096.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello MSchw36,

Thank you for providing us with the information requested.

We are currently doing research on this behavior where it is not possible to configure 4K@60Hz and 10-bit.

We will update this thread as soon as possible. 

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi MSchw36,

I apologize for the late reply.

Our development team is working hard on getting the option for us to manually select Color Depth and Color Space via Intel® Graphics Command Center (IGCC), which I believe is going to take care of this issue permanently.

This is a high priority item for the development team. I hope to see this capability in a driver and IGCC update later this month or early in 2020.

I'll update this thread when I get confirmation that the drivers have been released.

Ken

Intel Customer Support

Highlighted

Hi MSchw36,

I just wanted to let you know that we continue to work on this new capability.

Regards,

Ken

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks you for letting us know that it is still on list for NUC8, I hope it gets prioritised and would not take many more months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Dear Ken

Any new informations about progress of adding such feature and release date?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sincerely
0 Kudos