Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12513 Discussions

10i7FNH Keyboard and Mouse not working

Zigfreed
Beginner
My machine boots up to RHEL 8, I can see the mouse on the screen. The keyboard does not work to interrupt the boot up. I have tried wired mouse and keyboard as well as wireless. Not sure how to get this thing working again. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
0 Kudos
30 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

If you can enter BIOS and use the mouse and keyboard there, this is not a hardware problem. This problem is caused by your Linux O.S. and better ask for advice in Linux forum. This article may give you some example of problem caused by the O.S.: RHEL 8 must block unauthorized peripherals before establishing a connection.

Leon

Zigfreed
Beginner
Thank you for the feedback! I am not able to use the keyboard to enter the bios.
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Please confirm that with wired keyboard, you can't enter BIOS after repeatedly clicking on F2 while you see the Intel NUC logo.

2. What is make and model number of the wireless combo you are using?

3. Is this new NUC?

4. What is ever working?

Leon

Zigfreed
Beginner
1. Just tried with a wired Logitech keyboard only pressing f2. I was not able to interrupt the boot up sequence.

2. The wireless keyboard is a Logitech k720. The wireless mouse is a Logitech m185. I made sure to put fresh batteries in.

3. The NUC is not new.

4. Yes it was working with the wireless keyboard and mouse with RHEL 8. It boots up I can see the login screen I can even see the mouse cursor on the screen. I used the wireless keyboard and mouse to do the RHEL 8 install.

Thanks for the feedback!
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Try to boot into Power Button Menu: Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.

2. When you see the Power Button Menu, click on F3 to disable Fast Boot (if it is enabled), then click on F2 to enter BIOS.

3. In BIOS click on F9, confirmed by "Y" (this will set BIOS to default settings and then click on F10, to save settings and exit from BIOS.

Leon

Zigfreed
Beginner
Alright I am looking at the power boot up screen:

FNCML357.0032.2019.1021.1624

[ESC] Normal Boot

Etc etc.

I have my wire keyboard connected and pressed f2 and nothing happens. I also tried my wireless keyboard.

No response

Thanks for the help
LeonWaksman
Super User

I can see that BIOS in your NUC was never updated. You are on version 0032, which is the Production Release, while today the latest version is version 0056.

Leon

Zigfreed
Beginner
I will update the bios if I can get the USB ports working again…

Jean_Intel

Hello @Zigfreed

If I may interrupt here, and if I am not mistaking, your keyboard and mouse work as expected when you are on the operating system, so you can update the BIOS using the Express update, which uses the operating system to launch the update. We have some steps to follow; however, they are Windows-based steps that may not work for you. In case you want to give it a try, visit the link (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033291/intel-nuc.html)

I also would like to confirm some information to have more insight about your issue:

• When did the issue start to happen?
  • Is legacy boot enabled on your unit?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

Zigfreed
Beginner
@jean O

At this point I have no control over the BIOS and I also am not able to login to the Operating system. I have no way to interface with the computer.

I am open to whatever it takes to make this hardware useable again. I am not worried about anything that is currently on the system.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Zigfreed
Beginner
Can’t answer the question about legacy boot.

And as far as when did the problem start; The system was cleanly shutdown using RHEL command to do so. It was left off for a couple of days due to other priorities and it was booted up using the power button.

Not sure if that helps or not
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @Zigfreed 

Upgrading BIOS so many version can be risky and I saw cases that NUC was bricked. You will do this on your own risk. Any way you should do this using BIOS  Recovery by Secure Jumper method. In order to minimize the risk, I'll attaching to this post, two intermediate version of BIOS (version 0047 and version 0052). I did not tried this but according to para. 3.5, page 45 in the Technical Product Specification, you should be able to perform BIOS Recovery from the M.2 SSD or HDD (both having SATA connection).  Neither the SSD and/or the HDD should be bootable.

STEP 1 - Bios Recovery

1. Prepare the HDD. I think that FAT32 is preferred format type.  Download the FNCML357.0047.RECOVERY.zip (attached to this post and extract the FNCML357.cap file. Copy the FNCML357.cap file to the root of HDD.
2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 33 in Technical Product Specification)
4. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
5. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF,  remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . 
6. Reconnect the Power Adapter and power your NUC ON.
7. Try to enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
8. Press F9(followed by Enter), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by Enter), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

9. Repeat para. 1 trough 8 with FNCML357.0052.RECOVERY.zip instead of FNCML357.0047.RECOVERY.zip

10. Repeat para. 1 trough 8 with FNCML357.0056.RECOVERY.zip (downloaded from Intel Download Center) instead of FNCML357.0047.RECOVERY.zip

SETP 2 BIOS Update with F7

This step is necessary after BIOS Recovery.

1. Insert the USB (formatted to FAT32) with the FN0056.CAP file into rear USB slot (your NUC should be OFF)
2. Power ON you NUC and when you see the Intel NUC logo, repeatedly click on F7. NUC will boot into storage menu. You should select your USB stick (mass storage device) and then the FN0056.CAP file. Click enter the update will start and end during 2-3 minutes.
3. When update ends, the NUC will reboot.

Hope this will work
Leon

Jean_Intel

Thanks for the information provided.

Since you have no access to the operating system, my suggestion is to try and do a BIOS recovery using the Security Jumper method. There is no need for you to have control over the BIOS as the unit will turn off when the recovery process is complete. To complete the process, carefully follow the steps given below:

If you have any other questions or need more information about the steps, visit the following link (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033291/intel-nuc.html).

Best regards,

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

Zigfreed
Beginner
@leon & Jean,

Thanks for the feedback! I will let you know how it goes.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Just to be clearly stated, you must use the BIOS Recovery process to install the latest BIOS.

If you try installing using the Windows-based Express BIOS Update method or the BIOS-based F7 method, there is a chance that the large jump in BIOS versions will brick the system completely.

Again, you must use the BIOS Recovery process to install the latest BIOS.

...S

Zigfreed
Beginner
Thank you sir! I will know tonight how it goes. It will be spectacular either way!

Zigfreed
Beginner

To All,

I think I am the proud owner of an Intel Brick.  I tried using all of the USB Ports one at a time.  I tried plugging a keyboard in to select option f4.    Thanks for everyone's input.  I am attaching a screen shot of what I am seeing.

Have a good night!

Z

LeonWaksman
Super User

To @Zigfreed 

Your NUC is not a brick yet. USB ports are not enabled.  Therefore using for BIOS update, USB stick is worthless. You are reaching the Configuration Menu and your keyboard is not working as well. The same result (the same Menu) you will see, after powering ON your NUC with the BIOS Security Jumper removed and with empty USB ports. 

Read the procedure I've described above, where the BIOS file is saved on SATA SSD or on HDD. This is your chance to recover your BIOS.

Leon

Zigfreed
Beginner
@leon,

I think you are correct. I will give it a shot. I need to find an adapter for connecting the HDD so I can reformat it and load the BiOS.

More to come
Zigfreed
Beginner

@leon 

I was able to install the BIOS recovery file onto the internal hard drive.  With the  security jumper off I am still getting the screen shown in the jumper off jpg attached here.  I have also tried booting the NUC with hard drive and looking at the other picture attached to this post you will see that I have a graphical screen that looks like the BIOS.  It seems like every path I have tried is dependent on the USB bus for keyboard and mouse input to work, and none of the three USB ports seem to be working.  I am out of ideas.....  Thanks for everyone's input.

Have a great evening!

Zig