Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products

2x Nuc no wifi

DamagedDingo
Beginner
I gave 2 nucs that were both upgraded to windows 11 automatically and have been working fine for weeks but some time last week something upgraded and broke wifi. I have 2 different models and both have driver issues now.
I tried updating through intel utility as well as windows update, then I tried older versions but just can’t get the drivers to work. Seems to be same 3 items on both of them.
1. NUC8v5PNK
2. NUC7i5DNK (images)

Anyone got any ideas? Found it odd that both mine broke but nothing on the internet seems related so I’m lost.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello DamagedDingo

Thank you for your response and for the clarifications.

Based on the latest details that you provided and considering it works when using the Wireless card from the other working unit, we also agree that this seems to be a hardware issue.

Therefore, our recommendation is to reach out to Intel® Customer Support directly through phone or chat to review the warranty status for your Intel® NUC. Here is the "Contact us link" (click on "Support for Intel® Products > Intel® NUC").

Please make sure to select your country or region and to contact us within your local business Support hours. Also, we will send you an email to the email address associated with your profile to provide you with information you may use as a reference when you contact Intel® Customer Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @DamagedDingo

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Just to make sure we understand correctly, could you please confirm the following details?

1- We understand that the screenshot attached is from an Intel® NUC7i5DNK and it seems that both devices have the same exact same 3 entries having issues in Device Manager (Intel Wireless, Base System Device, PCI Data Acquisition, and Signal Processing Controller?). Is this correct? If not, could you please also provide a screenshot showing the components with issues on Device Manager for Intel® NUC 8 Pro Kit NUC8v5PNK?

2- Could you please double-click the devices with the error (a question mark or exclamation point) to open the Properties window and let us know the error codes for each device under the "General" tab?

3- From each one of the Intel® NUCs, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the systems:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Please provide a separate report for each NUC.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DamagedDingo
Beginner

HI Andrew. Thank you for the reply.
I have managed to get the NUC7i5DNK back online although I honestly don't know what changed as I just redid the same thing I had been doing again the next day and it worked. 

The NUC8v5PNK is still having problems and I even tried to reinstall windows. 
I have attached the export from SSU and below are the screenshots of the 2 drivers that I am unable to get working still. One thing to note is that I don't think this one has Bluetooth so it might just be picking up the keyboard dongle. 

DamagedDingo_0-1649724542611.png

DamagedDingo_1-1649724577016.png

DamagedDingo_2-1649724635711.png

DamagedDingo_3-1649724664259.png

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DamagedDingo

Thank you for your response and for the screenshots.

We're glad to know that Intel® NUC NUC7i5DNK is now working fine, so let's focus on the behavior with Intel® NUC 8 Pro Kit NUC8v5PNK. Please follow these steps:

1- Acces the BIOS and load default settings:

1. Press F2 during start to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Press F9 to set BIOS default values.
  3. Customize any BIOS settings, if desired (optional).
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

2- Confirm that the Bluetooth and Wireless devices are enabled:

1. Press F2 during start to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Onboard Devices > Bluetooth and make sure the onboard Bluetooth Controller is Enabled.
  3. Go to Advanced > Onboard Devices > WLAN and make sure the onboard Wireless LAN Controller is Enabled.
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

3- Please install the Intel® Chipset Device Software for NUC8v7PN, NUC8v5PN, NUC8i3PN, Version 10.1.18793.8276.

4- Install the Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) components for your Intel® NUC. Please refer to the download link for Intel® Management Engine Interface Driver for NUC8v7PN, NUC8v5PN, Version 12.0.85.1869. Note: If the driver doesn't install, review if there is an older version installed, then uninstall it and try installing this version again.

5- Perform a clean driver installation for both components: Wireless and Bluetooth:

1. Download and save on the desktop the driver installers:
    1. Intel® Bluetooth® Driver Version 22.110.0.2.
    2. Intel® Wireless Driver Version 22.110.0.2.
  2. For installation instructions, please refer to these two articles: 
    1. How to Perform a Clean Installation of Bluetooth Drivers
    2. Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers.
  3. Note: During the clean installation process, after uninstalling the current drivers and before installing the latest drivers, you may clear out your temporary files:
    1. Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box.
    2. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.
    3. Reboot your computer and proceed to install the drivers.
  4. We recommend installing the Bluetooth driver first, followed by the wireless driver.

Please let us know if the behavior is different or persists.

Also, please elaborate more on what you meant when you said "One thing to note is that I don't think this one has Bluetooth so it might just be picking up the keyboard dongle". Did you mean that the Intel® NUC came without the Wireless/Bluetooth card? (without the physical hardware component?).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DamagedDingo
Beginner

I installed windows 11 fresh and then installed the recommended drivers but still have same issue.

Firstly ignore what I said about Bluetooth. I didn’t realise it was on the same card as wifi before.

Bios is set correctly (see image).

I still have 3 devices missing (see images).

I am starting to think this is a hardware issue even though the other NUC fixed itself.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DamagedDingo

Thank you for all the details and the screenshots, we really appreciate your efforts in this matter.

There is an additional process that we would like to recommend:

1. Please try a BIOS Recovery (e.g.: Recovery by Security Jumper) using the latest BIOS 0046.
  2. Once the BIOS recovery is completed, please access the BIOS and load BIOS defaults (using F9), then confirm again that Bluetooth and Wireless devices are enabled in BIOS.
  3. After that, you may try again (if the issue persists) to reinstall the Intel® Chipset Device Software and the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers using the links and steps in our previous post.

Two more things:

1. In Device Manager under Network Adapters, is the entry for "Intel Wireless Card" missing or showing an error message/yellow exclamation mark"?
  2. Also, is the entry for Intel® Ethernet (LAN) Network Connection showing properly (with no errors) on Device Manager under Network Adapters? If it is missing or showing an error message, please try to install (or reinstall) the Intel® Ethernet (LAN) Network Connection Driver for Intel® NUC Version 25.6.

This is in order to determine if the device showing as an "Unknown Network Controller" is either related to the Ethernet LAN Connection or to the Wireless LAN Connection.

We will be looking forward to hearing back from you with the outcome of these steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DamagedDingo
Beginner

I think it is a hardware issue and it was just a coincidence that the other NUC went down at the same time. I pulled the wifi card from the working one and it works in the other device.. unfortunately, the aerial connector broke as well but for now it is working albeit a bit patchy due to less signal. I'll need to pull the machine apart on the weekend to see if I can solder on those connections again. 

I will go ahead and pick up a new wifi card in a fortnight when I am paid and I think that will resolve it. The drivers you provided seem to have made the other missing devices show up so I think that is the last issue. 

If it still doesn't work I'll come back and update this post (or make a new one and reference it here).

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry we went down a software rabbit hole but having both NUCs lose wifi at the same time really threw me. 

Thanks again Andrew!

regards,

DamagedDingo

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DamagedDingo

Thank you for your response and for the clarifications.

Based on the latest details that you provided and considering it works when using the Wireless card from the other working unit, we also agree that this seems to be a hardware issue.

Therefore, our recommendation is to reach out to Intel® Customer Support directly through phone or chat to review the warranty status for your Intel® NUC. Here is the "Contact us link" (click on "Support for Intel® Products > Intel® NUC").

Please make sure to select your country or region and to contact us within your local business Support hours. Also, we will send you an email to the email address associated with your profile to provide you with information you may use as a reference when you contact Intel® Customer Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DamagedDingo

We noticed that this thread has been marked as "Solved", therefore, we will proceed to close it now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.