Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KKirk1
Beginner

5i5RYK and RST

The specs say that the 5i5RYK supports Rapid Storage Technology. But when I try to install it I get an error message saying my hardware doesn't support RST.

I have a Samsung SM951 AHCI M.2 256GB SSD. I'm looking to get a non-Microsoft SATA driver and on my work computer installing RST did just that.

Or is there another way to get the non-Microsoft driver?

Thx

-K2

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Are you installing the correct version? Use only the version on the downloads page for this NUC (i.e. only here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i5RYK Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYK).

If you have a NVMe SSD, you should be running the custom driver for this device provided by Samsung.

Regardless, why are you looking for a non-Microsoft driver? What benefit do you think you are going to get?

...S

KKirk1
Beginner

Reason I'm looking is that the current driver for my SATA controller is a Microsoft driver from 2006. I have to believe there is a better driver somewhere. Or am I wrong?

I don't have the NVMe version, I have the AHCI.

There isn't a link for RST on the NUC download page. The documentation for my NUC says it has RST but I can't find a version of it to install.

n_scott_pearson

Yea, I saw that. I sent the team a query to find out what is going on...

...S

KKirk1
Beginner

KKirk1
Beginner

Heard anything from the team?

n_scott_pearson

Yes, as a matter of fact, I finally did. They are telling me that the last version of RST that supported the RY NUC is 14.8.14.1063. All later versions of RST support only 100 Series and later chipsets. Here is a link to this version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST).

Now, understand that this is unverified information. You can download the package using the above link and give it a try. Only after they have verified it will it actually get posted on the downloads page for the RY NUC.

...S

KKirk1
Beginner

Still a no go. There actually isn't 14.8.14.1063. There is a 14.8.16.1063. But that doesn't work either. Nor does the previous version to that, 14.8.0.1042. Haven't had time to go back any further than that right now. But the link you posted is very helpful since it contains links to that last 10 or so version of RST. What's kind of interesting is that the 14.8.0.1042 is just drivers - no RST app. Need to look at the change log and see if that's where they added the GUI.

I've been considering upgrading to an NVMe drive for a little bit - this issue may just help make that decision.

n_scott_pearson

Hhmmm, I wonder if this is why they haven't complete the investigation.

...S