cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjfr
New Contributor I

6i5SYH - Ethernet diode

Hello,

I have a 6i5SYH and I would like to know how to turn off the ethernet diode when the NUC is stopped.

I can not find anything in the BIOS.

Besides, is there a BIOS manual in pdf on the Intel site?

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. The Bios Settings Glossary you may download here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006028/mini-pcs.html BIOS Settings Glossary for Intel® NUC

2. In my NUC6i5SYH, both LED on the Ethernet socket are OFF while my NUC is OFF. My Ethernet cable is connected trough Ethernet Switch and Network Boot is disabled in Bios settings.

3. When my NUC is in standby mode (sleep mode), the green Ethernet LED is blinking, so, the LED in front panel is blinking in amber color.

4. What you mean "when the NUC is stopped"? The NUC is in OFF state (S5) or Sleeping state (S3)?

Leon

jjfr
New Contributor I

Thank you for the link.

In my NUC, one of the two LEDs is lit when it is in the OFF state.
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What do you consider the OFF state? The true OFF state is achieved by doing a Windows shutdown.

...S

jjfr
New Contributor I

Seriously !!

Please ...

I repeat one last time: the computer is stopped

However, I just did a test. When I disconnect the ethernet cable: the diode is off.

The cable is connected to a SWITCH Netgear ...

n_scott_pearson

Yea, seriously. Respect is something that is earned and you haven't yet done so. We don't know you. We don't know your competencies. Don't take it personally; we have to use this starting point with everybody.

Power off the NUC and disconnect its power brick. Unplug everything you have plugged to the NUC (monitor, keyboard, mouse, everything). Reconnect only the LAN cable. Next, plug the power brick back into the NUC but do not power on. What are the Ethernet LEDs doing now?

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Try this: when your computer is OFF, disconnect the Power Adapter cable. Wait 10 minutes. Reconnect the Power Adapter cable. Check now if the LED is still ON.

Leon

jjfr
New Contributor I

Scott Pearson .... Respect is both ways

After these manipulations: same problem the green diode remains lit.

jjfr
New Contributor I

Thank you Leon,

Same problem the green diode remains on.
n_scott_pearson

You mean it came on when you plugged the power brick back in?

jjfr
New Contributor I

yes absolutely

and he alone. No other connection!

Compatibility problem with the Netgear maybe ...?

n_scott_pearson

The green LED indicates traffic levels on the cable. It takes a *very* busy network for the Traffic LED to be on solid and you should never see this sustained for any long period. It is also not supposed to be on without the other (Connection) LED on the connector also being on. This feels like a short somewhere. There are a number of possibilities:

1. Problem with cable connecting NUC to Router.
  2. Problem with Router itself.
  3. Problem with NUC's ethernet port.

I have ordered these based upon the simplicity for testing. Trying with an alternate cable is pretty straight forward. Virtually any (CAT 5/5e/6) cable can be used. At the Router, there is the possibility of a problem with an individual port, but testing for that is pretty simple: move the NUC's cable to another (free) port or, if all ports in use, swap ports with another cable.

Hope this helps,

...S

jjfr
New Contributor I

After tests.

This is the Netgear. This one must not go to sleep I think ...
n_scott_pearson

What model is this router?

jjfr
New Contributor I

Netgear GS108 :

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108 GS108 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

n_scott_pearson

This is a simple, unmanaged switch, not a router. It could be affected by whatever router you have downstream of it (and which connects you to the internet).

...S

jjfr
New Contributor I

I never said it was a router.

I always said: Switch

I will do a test with my internet router.