Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdick2
Beginner

7I5BNK Blue Screen

We nave four 7I5BNK's that have been purchased over the last year. These are out of a batch of 20. All of them Blue Screen at times. Most Blue Screen shortly after the first login for the day. If they have been running for a while they do not blue screen. The Bugchecks are never the same. When this first started happening we choose one of the first two to do extensive testing on. Ran Memcheck on it for a couple of days without any errors found. We then replaced the complete NUC and all hardware and that did not resolved the problem. We did find on that one if we disconnected the Ethernet cable and added a usb ethernet cable the issue almost went away. We suspected that particular unit was affected from our networking setup as the network connection comes through the desk phone. We have had that in the past with one of our desktop computers. We put in a Network Card in the desktop and stopped using the Network Jack on the Motherboard and those issues went away. Now we have purchased more of these units and yesterday one of the new batch blue screened. I immediately added the USB Ethernet jack and again first thing this AM it Blue Screened. In Checking it our tech hear someone else mention theirs had done this yesterday also. I have tried to keep them on the latest Bios, however we did not use 65 one these since there was no EB for it. The Tech who was setting these up did not have the skills to use the other methods. I will try to get 65 installed on them this week. I will also use the Intel Driver Update Utility to see if any other drivers are out of date. The installer was supposed to use only the latest Drivers that I had downloaded for them.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sounds to me like bad power. Have you tried using an UPS to provide power and watching for surges and sags?

This is typical of older government buildings where power to offices is notoriously bad. Have you any laser printers or refrigerators on the same circuits? Not trying to be funny here, but I have seen these problems before in government facilities.

By the way, I am running a 7i7BNKQ and have never experienced a blue screen.

Doc

tdick2
Beginner

I have had many more blue screen's. I have also noticed some of these machines launch directly into recovery on startup. I have put two of them on their own UPS's which did not solve the problem. We have 7 from last year that all seem to be running fine after getting them to the latest BIOS. However the 8 currently running new units are all having the same problem. With the additional testing I decided to look at the differences. First the 8 new units are used for a different purpose, but mostly blue screen on startup. We do have one that occasionally does it at any time of the day. The differences in the two groups all of the latest units are hooked up to a Wasp Barcode reader. The older units are not. We are going to try to unplug the USB cable from one of the new batch at night and plug it back in after the startup has finished. Hopefully that will resolve the problem. Today we had one bluescreen then it would only launch into startup. But after unplugging the Wasp Barcode reader the NUC booted and ran just fine.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1.Are installing Windows using some ptepared image?

2. Is this image updated to ver 1803?

3.Can you try install Windows using fresh prepared installation media?

Leon

tdick2
Beginner

No Prepared image they were installed by me individually. Yes they are all on 1803. The key issue we might have stumbled across is the Wasp WLS9500 Barcode readers. We are now removing them from one of the offending computers. And a second computer we are unplugging the USB cable to the reader at night before shutdown, then waiting until the computer is up in the morning and stable to plug it back in. We hope to see if this is causing the problems. The common thread from all of these is the fact they have Wasp Barcode readers. I will report back if we have any success with this.

idata
Community Manager

Hello tdickson,

We are writing to let you know that if you still need assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
AlHill
Super User

tdickson, did you have to install a device driver for these Wasp Barcode readers?

Doc

tdick2
Beginner

We are still working through the possibilities. We have several from last year that are allthe 7I5bnk models. They work fine. This years models have all had blue

screens. So today I compared the Bios settings to see if there were any differences.

In the Boot Configuration I found that the older models had the Ignore Thurderbolt Option Rom checked. This

years models( the ones that do blue screen) did not have that option checked. I checked that option in all of

this years models. The other thing I have as a possibility is the department using this years models all have Wasp

Barcode readers. Last Friday we switched one user from the WLS9500 to a newer WLS9600.

After that switch she has not experienced any problems. However it is too early to call this

conclusive. We did have a second WLS9600 so we have swapped it out on another user that was having many bluescreens but

that was on Tuesday. Since then, only two days, she has not had another bluescreen.

With the exception of one user these always happen on boot, or shortly after the first login of the day. After

that they work just fine for the rest of the day. Then it might or might not happen again the next day. Today while checking on the

thunderbolt settings I noticed that there was a new version of the Bios(67) on your site so I have loaded it on 4 of the new units. I will report back if I have any new

information. I hope to help you and help myself by gathering as much info as I can to solve this problem.

Thanks

tdick2
Beginner

We now have two with their own UPS and that has made no difference. We have removed the Wasp Barcode readers and that does not totally resolve the problem. It does reduce the times they bluescreen, but that could be recognition bias. We are pretty much out of ideas. We have tried the approved RAM from Intel and still get the problem. We have the latest Bios and Drivers on them and they still get the BSOD. We have replaced Keyboards and Mice. We have tried different Power Supplies. We have swapped Monitors, disconnected printers. The only Consistency is that it almost always happens shortly after power on. And it does not matter how the NUC is powered on. If I do a Wake on Lan, it might happen. Turning on from the Power Button it might happen. This morning we had one that is set to power on in the BIOS and it had the BSOD. However the user was not in so that did not really cause a problem. We now have 16 of this model and 13 of them get the BSOD at least once every two weeks on startup. One can get this pretty much anytime during the day. Another one just had their first middle of the day event on Monday, but the user was not even at their desk at the time. I am not sure what is causing this, but one of these units corrupted windows during the last BSOD and today I am doing a complete wipe and reload. I will go out and pull all the latest drivers and updates before I start the install.

idata
Community Manager

Hello tdickson,

We would like to continue assisting you with this issue.

-Please attach a picture of the blue screen.

-Do you have to install a device driver? (attachment)

-Run the Intel® System Support Utility in one of the units and attach the report to this thread.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G.
tdick2
Beginner

Sorry for the delay, I thought I posted this last week. Attached is the report

idata
Community Manager

Hello DrWongKC,

Thank you for your reply.

We may need to have more information to continue troubleshooting this issue correctly. Please provide this information requested above. It will be really helpful.

-Please attach a picture of the blue screen.

-Do you have to install a device driver? (attachment)

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

tdick2
Beginner

Here are two from the same computer. Usually we do not see the bluescreens as they are gone way before we could get to the computer. However I can give you the event logs with the bugcheck info. I will attach that spreadsheet also.

idata
Community Manager

Hello tdickson,

Thank you for your response.

The stop codes on one of the units show different information every time they occur, so they can be caused by several reasons.

Did you get any positive result by doing a clean install of Windows* 10 in one of the units that got corrupted? We can continue working on that unit to discard faulty hardware / corrupted software. For example, you can check if any antivirus software is causing these BSODs and try using known good memory from the other units that do not show this behavior.

If possible, please try installing the latest BIOS.

Version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28140/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95061 0068 (Latest) Date: 8/24/2018

Also, we would like to know if these issues occur if you connect to a wireless network.

Wanner G.

tdick2
Beginner

We are running 0068 bios on several of these units. Last week we took two of them and uninstalled the Antivirus from Sophos. The very next day both systems bluescreened. I have to reinstalled the OS on about one a week because the bluescreens corrupt Windows. I did that list Thursday on one of them and on Friday that same machine bluescreened. We have disabled the Audio in the Bios on Tuesday and Yesterday one of those two Bluescreened. Tonight I am taking one of the worst ones and putting a USB Network connector on it and disabling onboard LAN in the BIOS. I am taking the second worst one and changing the Networking to 100MB to see if that solves the problem. We have WiFI and Bluetooth disabled in the Bios as our building does not have WIFI, and we do not allow Bluetooth devices to be used. I have looked at the three that we have that have not bluescreened in the last two months. Two of them have different memory. The third was purchased in a group of 8, and it is the only one of that batch that I do not see this in the last two months. All have the same model of Memory and M2 Sata Drive. The Memory is Micron MTA16ATF1G64HZ-2G1 the M2 Sata Drive is WD Blue 240GB.

idata
Community Manager

Hello tdickson,

Since the issue is occurring with several systems, including replaced systems, we do not think it is the Intel® NUC itself that is the issue. We have eliminated the hardware at this point as the cause of the issue. We need to look at determining if another component/hardware or software is causing the BSODs, or a conflict.

1. Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise has not been validated on the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNK. This may not be the cause of the BSODs, but we have to keep this in mind. It is possible that a driver is being used that has not been validated for Windows* 10 Enterprise.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html

2. Another option would be to perform a clean boot to eliminate any conflict.

A. Disable all Services that are non-Microsoft (msconfig).

B. Disable all Startup Tasks (Task Manager).

This includes disabling any monitoring, security, or proprietary tasks for testing purposes.

3. If the issue persists, we need the Filename, Caused by Driver, File Description of the BSODs from BlueScreenViewer for the stop codes/bug checks.

4. We also need a list of all input devices connected including the connection type with models/brands/PN other than the Wasp WLS9500 Barcode reader - even mouse and keyboard (if wired or wireless).

5. Also, list any special applications and software. For example, are you using any WASP Barcode Software? Is it supported on Windows 10 Enterprise?

The above troubleshooting results and details will help us try to determine the cause of the BSODs. If you do not want to post anything publicly, please send me a Private Message.

Wanner G.

idata
Community Manager

Hello tdickson,

Were you able to perform the steps recommended above?

Wanner G.

tdick2
Beginner

I have done a clean install on a few of the machines, necessary because of windows corruption, I turned off Windows Hardware updates. I then installed only the latest Drivers for the Intel Nuc from the Intel Site. I removed all extra hardware from this PC while rebuilding and testing. It had a Keyboard, Mouse, and two Monitors attached to it. Now I have noticed after more testing over the weekend that if I set the Network to 100MB Full Duplex the Blue Screens are off the chart. We get them on almost every PC every Day during or right after startup. However if they are on auto negotiation it happens much less. Today we are trying to look it down to 1GB to see if that helps. I checked with our networking people and they have the switches to set to Auto. There is one other wrinkle, as our phone system is Cisco, all of the affected users are using a Cisco 7945 Phone and the configuration is the line comes from the Jack, to the Phone and from the Phone to the NUC. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, because we have one that is not hooked to a phone and it has blue screened before. I am going to pull the Ram from one of the three that are running without problems and put it in the one that is the most troubled to see if that makes a difference. I will report back with my results.

tdick2
Beginner

today I have swapped the memory from one device that has never blue screened and the one that is the worst. This is a test. However in doing so we noticed the memory difference. Attached i hope are the three different brands/types of memory. The fastest one seems to be giving us the problem.

idata
Community Manager

Hello tdickson,

Thank you for providing this information.

These troubleshooting steps confirm that the Intel® NUC is not the cause of the BSODs. To avoid any system conflicts, we recommend checking our Intel Validated memory modules > Search > Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNK.

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC

In these cases, replacing the memory can prevent this problem from happening. Please continue testing the memory to find out if replacing the memory is required.

Please let us know if you have any further feedback. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

idata
Community Manager

Hello tdickson,

Were you able to continue testing the memory you are using on the units?

Wanner G.