Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPoul1
Beginner

7i7BNH with F2 problem

I have a 7i7BNH wth high speed HDMI and a FullHD TV. F7 and F10 are working fine, but F2 shows nothing on my TV?!

0 Kudos
25 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

John,

Please run this experiment:

1. Power off NUC.

2. Power on, but hold power button down for a full 3 seconds. If NUC powers off, means you held button for slightly too long. Go back to Step 1.

3. After a few seconds, the Power Button Menu will be displayed. Press F2 at this point.

Does Visual BIOS display now or does it hang with blank display?

...S

JPoul1
Beginner

Trying F2 and got the blank screen, no visual BIOS...

What next?

Regards

LeonWaksman
Super User

Except the F2 problem is the NUC working (i.e. the Windows is running and you see Windows on your TV screen)?. If the answer is Yes. I'll advice to perform recovery to your BIOS: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Download the Bios file BN0060.bio here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27397/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95065 Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]

If you prefer the easiest method (Power Button Menu), you should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu. With the USB containing the latest bios file, press F4 and the recovery shall start.

Leon

JPoul1
Beginner

Windows is working allright.

Downloaded that BIO file, copied to USB, rebooted Power Button Menu and pressed F4.

Only thing happening is that the courser is now blinking in the upper left corner, not in the top.

So recovery was not possible.

I went into Windows and reinstalled BIOS from there.

Same problem: Not possible to enter BIOS (F2)

What can be done?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Sorry, I should suggest this as first thing to do but never to late:

1. Try to perform the Bios recovery with other USB stick (better use USB 2.0 type). This USB stick shall be Fully formatted (rather than Quick format) to FAT32.

2. If you don't have other USB, perform Full formatting to FAT32 on your existing USB.

3. In order to do Full format, remove the mark near Quick Format option (see the image attached). Full format takes time.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

What is the model number of the TV?

JPoul1
Beginner

TV info:

Hyundai LLF22175CAR

22" Full HD

JPoul1
Beginner

Did a full format of a USB 2.0 flash key.

Tried recovery with F4

Rebooted as suggested.

Then I both "normal" F2 and Visual BIOS F2.

Both showing blank screens?!

Any ideas?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Sorry. I don't have any other idea. May be it is worthy to test your NUC while connected to PC monitor instead to TV? Do you have any?

Leon

JPoul1
Beginner

Not right now.

I guess it is shopping time...

What should I look for?

My idea is 21-27" Full HD

LeonWaksman
Super User

I have (and I like it) DELL U2415 monitor. It has 24" screen with resolution 1920 x 1200 and Aspect Ratio 16:10 (I prefer this Aspect Ratio over 16:9). It is much more convenient for computer work, since the screen is higher. You can google for reviews on this monitor. But will a monitor solve your problem?

Leon

JPoul1
Beginner

I honestly think that it is the only option left...

To my knowledge everything else is already tried..

LeonWaksman
Super User

In order to be able display Visual Bios, your TV must be able to support a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. Pbably your TV is not be able to support this resolution. You can check this quite easy.

Open the Intel Graphic Control Panel (left click on desktop) and check if you can see 1024 x 768 on the list of supported resolutions (see the attached image).

Leon

Edit:

You can also by using Intel Graphic Control Panel generate a report listing all resolution supported by your TV:

1. Open the Intel Graphics Control Panel on Home screen.

2. Press on Options and Support (right bottom corner).

3. Select Information Center

3. In Select Option drop down menu select your TV monitor

4. Press Save to save the report containing all supported resolutions.

Leon

JPoul1
Beginner

Well.

It still looks like I need to to some shopping...

Those blank screens I have seen a lot today.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello,

Did you check if your TV support resolution 1024 x 768 (see my post # 13 above)? Can you attach a generated report?

Leon

JPoul1
Beginner

I managed to make Windows 10 working in 1024x768.

Tried both ways to enter Bios/Visual BIOS.

But I know to little about Windows 10 to make a report.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Appears that my instruction where not clear enough:

1. Hold cursor on empty space of the desktop and press mouse right button. A menu will open.

2. Press with left mouse button on Intel Graphics Settings . Intel Iris Graphics Control Panel will be displayed.

3. Press on Options and Support (right bottom corner).

4. Select Information Center

5. Press Save and a .txt file containing all supported resolutions by your TV will generated and saved on your disk (pay attention where the file is saved).

6. Attach the file to your post (press Attach in the right bottom corner of the Message Window).

Leon

JPoul1
Beginner

OK got it.

Thanks

LeonWaksman
Super User

So, looking at the report I can see that your TV is supporting resolution of 1024 x 768 (required by BIOS). My advice is to check with other monitor (or other TV set) that you may be have in your home if you can see the Visual Bios and verify that the problem is caused by incompatibility with your 22" TV and not by NUC.

Leon

JPoul1
Beginner

I will get a PC monitor and try that.

Will get back here with info as soon I can.