Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NDonn
Novice

8i7HVK Nuc - 1 of 3 monitors doesn't turn on after sleep, windows on wrong screen

I have 3x 4K monitors at 60Hz connected to 8i7HVK Nuc.

When wake from sleep - say in the morning after going to Start / Sleep the night before - one of the monitors doesn't turn on. I have to press the power button and re-select Display Port as an input - then it comes on.

This only started happening a few weeks ago - when I first got this Nuc all monitors turned on correctly.

Further - when waking from sleep - windows are all moved around onto different monitors.

All displays are confirmed at 4K@60Hz - 2 connected via mDP to mDP - and the third (the one that wont automatically come on) is Thunderbold 3 to DP.

(I've tried HDMI on the non working monitor - but it doesn't seem to support 10-bit colour - and I think DP is a better standard that I'd rather use in any case).

This is extremely bad and irritating and is massively disrupting my work.

I have the latest Radeon graphics driver from this page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126143/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HVK Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK

18.5.1 (13 Jun 2018)

My monitors:

LG 27UD68P-B

LG 27UD58-B (this is model that wont turn on after sleep)

DELL P2415Q

When will you fix this? It seems Nucs always have substandard graphics drivers - I'm hearing from other users with similar issues.

Thx.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello niico

Thank you for joining the community.

I see that you are having a problem when the Intel® NUC come out of sleep mode one of the displays does not comes out of sleep mode, allow me to help you get to the bottom of the situation.

1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.
  • What is the model of the USB-C to DB cable?
  • Could you test USB-C to DB cable on another system (if possible)?
  • Have you tested both USB-C ports on the NUC?
  • Could you test another monitor on the NUC's USB-C port?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NDonn
Novice

I've switched the problem monitor to the other lightning 3 port.

I'm using this Lightning 3 to DP dongle: I-TEC USB-C 3.1 - DisplayPort:

https://www.alza.cz/i-tec-usb-c-3-1-displayport-d4532079.htm https://www.alza.cz/i-tec-usb-c-3-1-displayport-d4532079.htm

The DP cable is one I already had. All my monitors display 4K @ 60Hz 10-bit colour though so I assume the cable is OK?

I have them plugged in to these specific ports as I want my monitors to be in order on my desktop (1, 2, 3 as I look at them). This is because in the past if, say, I had them setup as say 2, 1, 3 - they'd sometimes just rearrange themselves to 1, 2, 3 (yet more bugs).

I've tried HDMI in the past but its buggy as H3ll - the monitor kept just going green (this never happened with my previous computer and doesn't happen over DP now. HDMI also only seems to output 8 or 9 bit colour or something (I don't remember exactly but it wasn't 10-bit).

The behaviour seems different when waking up from an overnight sleep to sleeping for say 20 minutes, then waking again like I just did. The monitor not turning on only seems to happen after waking after the computer has been off overnight.

However when I just went to start / sleep - then woke it after about 10 minutes - all the windows were on monitor 3 - nothing was on monitor 1 (the problem monitor).

The level of bugginess here is insane.

idata
Community Manager

niico, thank you for that information.

Could you please help us to check the current configuration you have on the NUC by running the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*?

To attach a file, the "attach" option will appear in the bottom right corner of the response box.

Regards,

Intel Technical Support.

NDonn
Novice

Firstly - you should stop passwords expiring on this forum (I just got a message) - that is not best practice.

Attached - thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hello niico

Thank you for your response.

You have mentioned that the system was working properly at some point, could let me know what changes were made to the system before this issue started happening.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NDonn
Novice

It's never "worked properly", it's always had a rolling collection of visual bugs that change. The difference is new ones are added from time to time.

These bugs are hard to reproduce and intermittent and smell like bad graphics drivers that are of substandard quality.

I made zero changes that caused this. I install new graphics drivers when they come out from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126143/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HVK Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK

Here's a rundown of the intermittent problems:

> 1 Monitor not turning on (didn't happen this morning, did yesterday - I updated BIOS to 0047 yesterday but I doubt this fixed it).

> Windows appearing on wrong screens when waking from long sleep - happened today.

> Scrolling in Chrome does weird stuff / graphics artifacts

It's a grab bag of incompetence and infuriating. This product isn't fit for sale and the once every 3 month release cycle for graphics drivers (or whatever is causing the problem) seems wholly inadequate - specially considering the delay between AMD releasing drivers then them finally appearing on the NUC.

idata
Community Manager

Hello niico

Looking into your case is would recommend completing a clean installation of the graphics driver for the Intel® NUC.

First, you will have download the Intel® HD graphics 630 driver version on the following link https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27892/a08/win64_24.20.100.6194.zip https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27892/a08/win64_24.20.100.6194.zip, and also the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics driver version on the following link https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27881/a08/GFX_Radeon_Win10_64_18.6.1.exe https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27881/a08/GFX_Radeon_Win10_64_18.6.1.exe, once the drivers are downloaded please make sure that the unit is not connected to internet during the uninstall/install driver to avoid any automatic update, and follow these steps to uninstall the graphics drivers:
  1. On the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R, then type in devmgmt.msc
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel® Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the checkbox Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Do not reboot the system.
  7. Go back into the device manager.
  8. Find the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics.
  9. Right-click the Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  10. Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Once the reboot is completed make sure that on the device manager you see the Microsoft basic display adapter.

Please follow these steps in order to update the graphics driver:
  1. Use the .zip file downloaded previously.
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click on the Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.
Once the system is reboot complete the installation of the Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics driver version, and reboot the system.

Could you test the system with only the display connected on the USB-C 3.1 to DB, let the system go to sleep and wake it up to verify if the problem happens with this configuration?

Also, could you please test the two displays connected to mDP and the third display connected thought HDMI® to HDMI®? This is for testing proposes.

For the browser behavior that you have could you verify if the browser has the hardware acceleration feature enable? Test the system whit this feature enable and disable.

Does the scrolling in Chrome happen in all displays? Could you provide me with a video of the issue?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NDonn
Novice

Before I go through all this - are you sure nobody else is having my problems?

Are you just going through the motions here the same as you do with everyone or do you think this might genuinely fix my issue?

NDonn
Novice

I've done this - it fixed my problem with the glitching mouse pointer / 4K video (posted in another threat).

But I put a window on each monitor, manually went to Start / Sleep - left it for 5 minutes, woke it up and all the windows are now on monitor 3

NDonn
Novice

My sound is now totally non-functional either with headphones plugged into the front 3.5mm port - or with my speakers on the rear port.

Why did you release a product that isn't working?

idata
Community Manager

Hello niico

Thank you for your response, and for all the testing performed.

I am working on the investigation of the case, I would like to make sure that the Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver has the lasted version install could please go to the device manager and review that the current version on your system is 6.0.1.8323, if it is not please updated, please refer to the following link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27709/NUCs-Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27709/NUCs-Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-... to download the driver, if possible complete a clean installation of the driver by deleting the current driver version and installing the version downloaded.

Thank you.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NDonn
Novice

Hi

Firstly - and in what is now recognised as very bad practice - I was just forced to change my password on a form that included a captcha.

Of course any time the form wasn't happy all the other fields went blank - and of course there were ridiculous password requirements. This is a forum not my bank (and not that crazy password requirements really make forms more secure in a meaningful way anyway).

You should disable forced password changes on your forum, it's less secure and hinders you providing support - and INFURIATES ALREADY UPSET USERS.

Who do you need to talk to to change this policy?

I reinstalled the Realtek driver (seems this has caused so many problems for users) - and now my sound works again (I say works - when playing a game there's lots of noise coming out of my speakers - this doesn't happen if I plug speakers into front audio port - so looks like you have a flawed rear audio port - I asked a separate question about this, and other users also had the same problem - but I digress).

So back to square 1 with waking from sleep putting windows on wrong monitors.

How is it you release new hardware every year - and it always has the same problem?

idata
Community Manager

Hello niico

Thank you for your response and all the testing that you have performed on the case I will be doing some testing on the issues that you have reported, I will be posting back when news becomes available.

In the case of the community login verification that you have gone through I will be sending the feedback to the correct department.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NDonn
Novice

Hi

Now when I sleep for a while - maybe 30 mins - and wake, my monitors have the correct window on each.

Overnight, when I sleep - they come on on the wrong windows again.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Do you have Hibernation enabled? It sounds like you are ok in (shorter-term) transitions from S3 to S0 but having an issue in (longer-term) transitions from S4 to S0.

...S

NDonn
Novice

Update - I've set my monitors to go off after 5 minutes, when it wakes Visual Studio always goes to monitor 3 - but most / all the other windows now remain on the correct screen.

Very strange.

As before when manually going to Start Sleep and leaving it over night - a lot more of the windows are on the wrong display.

How can I fix my Nuc to make it work properly?

NDonn
Novice

It's whatever is default. As in my last reply it doesn't fully work in auto monitor sleep for short periods - but it is worse when manually setting to sleep overnight.

NDonn
Novice

Another update - my computer monitors just went to sleep after 5 minutes (as expected) - I then woke them about 5 minutes after that - and now everything is on monitor 3 - except 1 browser window which moved from monitor 1 to 2.

This is a nightmare. Every time I'm away from my computer I have to spend a couple of minutes putting everything back! I thought it was partially fixed but now it seems worse than ever.

Can you please respond.

idata
Community Manager

Hello

Thank you for the updates on the case, I am still working on setting the configuration, as soon as I have an update I will update the forum.

Best Regards,

Leonardo C.