Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

AC Adapters for NUCS

Another thread about this got closed quickly but my question is similar. My reason to have a NUC is to have a monitor in two places and just cart the NUC between them. Having two AC adapters is also a good idea for the same goal.

It seems I should know this answer but my brain is blank. My NUC needs 65W. Is there any harm in using an Amazon, generic, higher-rated power supply, or do I need to find one that matches the volts and amps of mine? Id prefer to have the original AC adapter from Intel but I dont think they sell them (?)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

I bought an extra AC adapter for my NUC7 when I had one. I'll post the link here with an edit as soon as I research where I bought it. Back in a few.

EDIT: Here's the link to the one I bought (which worked fine)

https://www.amazon.com/FSP-Replacement-FSP065-REB-FSP065-10AABA-FSP065-REBN2-R/dp/B00T4BX0IU/ref=sr_...

It's 19volts, 3.42amps -- same as the 65-watt one for NUCS.

I bought it for use with a NUC7i5BNH which has now been sold.

Also, you can sometimes find good deals on AC Adapters on eBay.

I bought a slightly used 90watt one for my NUC8 and it works fine.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=genuine+liteon+laptop+AC+Adapter+9...

Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

You can use just about any power supply out there provided that:

1. The barrel is wired correctly to the specifications of the NUC (most are, but you need to check)
  2. The voltage is 19v (for your case)
  3. The amperage is 3.42 or above (yes, if you found a 19v 100 A power supply, it would not hurt your NUC).

There have been several cases reported of "import" PSUs advertised as the right voltage and amps, but not. Buyer beware - I recommend just about any other reputable online electronics store - but not eBay (just my opinion).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I bought the one on eBay only after verifying that it was exactly like the one that came with my NUC. Yes, it is wise to beware of super cheap PSUs since many of them will burn out quickly or provide less power than stated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks so much. I see the FSP (wall mount) on Amazon that you linked and it does look the same. I put it in the cart.

And thanks MLevi, ok I understand, just not below the specs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

By the way, I can concur on the lies about specs. Its off topic but recently I bought a 3.5A wall charger for phones. 3 USB ports. The advertising says the the first port gives you 3.5 and if you connect a second phone you get 2A in the second port; third port gives you 1A. Fine, ok. I connected the first phone and got a message that there wasnt enough power to charge the phone. I added the second phone and it wouldnt charge the phone AT ALL. A light on the phone, yes, but ZERO charging rate. Same on third port. Nice huh??

Let me add that I never intended to charge three phones. I bought a 3.5A charger on the prayer that i would actually get 2A output. I usually overbuy this stuff by double or more. But I couldnt even get the 2A or even 1A!! World of deceit and lies and fakery!!

0 Kudos