Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12508 Discussions

About the BIOS POWER setting that does not cause thermal throttling

Virago7
Beginner

At the standard BIOS POWER setting of 202W 28sec , thermal throttling occurs immediately after the CPU temperature reaches 100 ° C.

What watt should I set to prevent thermal throttling?

Room temperature is 26 ℃.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Virago7

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to understand better this request and provide you with the proper assistance, could you please provide more details?

1- A picture showing the "BIOS Power Settings" that you are using/referring to:

2- How are you monitoring the temperature and the thermal throttling? For reference purposes, please provide some screenshots of the tools you are using to monitor this:

3- Is this a new Intel® NUC? Is it experiencing this "thermal throttling" from the first day that you have the device or did it work fine before?

4- Besides seeing "thermal throttling" are you experiencing any other issues like random shutdowns or error messages? Also, are you running high workloads when the CPU temperature reaches 100° C? Please provide details:

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Virago7
Beginner

hi,

the screen of bios and hwinfo64 is attached.

the std  MTP was 221W... not 202W.

thanks,

Virago7
Beginner

Wow, I am very sorry for your polite response. I would like to show it as soon as I get the information. It's a simple situation, the tool for watching for thermal throttling is the HWiNFO64. The load on the PC is done by rendering the 3DCG software. The PC is nuc12 extreme kit core i9.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

Thank you for your response and for the picture.

When you said the "the PC is nuc12 extreme kit core i9" we understand that the specific NUC model is Intel® NUC 12 Extreme Kit - NUC12DCMi9. Is this correct? If not, please confirm the correct NUC model or provide us with the Intel® SSU report following the steps in our previous post.

We will proceed to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available or in case we need additional information from your side.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Virago7
Beginner
yes, NUC model is Intel® NUC 12 Extreme Kit - NUC12DCMi9.
Virago7
Beginner
Virago7
Beginner

i attached ssu result.

thanks,

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

Thank you for your response and for the Intel SSU report.

Once we have more information regarding this request, we will update the thread and post the details.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

The recommended value for the Package Power Limit 2 (Burst Mode) is 1.3X the Sustained mode Power Limit.

Is there any documentation about the 221w that you are referring to? If so, could you please provide more details or a link as a reference?

Also, we noticed that the thread has been marked as "Solved". Does it mean that you have found what you were looking for and this thread indeed can be considered "Solved" and be closed? Is this correct?

Or was the thread marked as "Solved" by mistake?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Virago7
Beginner

hi,

I'm sorry, I accidentally pressed the close button. 221W is the standard value set in the BIOS. You can also press F9 on the BIOS screen to get the same value.

thanks,

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

Thank you for your response. Please allow us to double check this and we will be posting back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

In this scenario, to avoid thermal throttling our recommendation is to adjust in the BIOS the "Fan Control Mode" from Balance to Cool.

BIOS Fan.jpg

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Virago7
Beginner
hi,

Thank you for answer. Even if you set the fan control to cool, it seems that thermal throttling cannot be avoided unless the power level is lower than the standard setting.

thanks,
youichi
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

Thank you for your response.

Please review the following suggestions to see if this helps to stop thermal throttling:

a- Place the Intel® NUC in a well-ventilated area and check for obstructions around the Intel® NUC's air vents.

b- Update the Operating System (OS) and install any pending updates. Please refer to this link for further instructions: Update Windows*.

c- Load BIOS defaults:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Press F9 to load defaults.
  3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS Setup.

d- After loading BIOS defaults, please go one more time to the BIOS and adjust the "Fan Control Mode" from Balance to Cool and press F10 to save.

If the behavior persists, please let us know and provide us with the following information:

1- For replication purposes please share a link to the "3DCG software" you are using and detailed step-by-step instructions of the rendering processes/tasks you perform that causes thermal throttling.

2- A screenshot from your Intel® NUC's BIOS showing the settings in the Cooling tab.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Virago7
Beginner
I put it in a well-ventilated place and tried it, but unfortunately it became thermal throttling when 3DCG calculation was performed. The written BIOS seems to have a speed problem with M.2 SSD, so I rolled back the BIOS version and tried F9&Fan control to cool. then, The speed of the M.2 SSD is now normal. but thermal slottling has occured too.Unless PL2 is changed from 221W to about 100W, it seems that thermal throttling will occur in heavy calclations. Why is the standard setting 221W?
Virago7
Beginner

M.2 ssd spd...

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

Thank you for your response.

Regarding the issue "SSD slow speed after updating to BIOS version 0052", we would like to inform you that Intel® is aware of this known issue and we are currently working to provide a fix and BIOS version 0052 has been removed from Download Center.

In the meantime, the recommendation is to downgrade the BIOS to version 0046. We understand that you already did that and we are glad to know that SSD is now normal.

Having said that, we would like to focus on the issue of "thermal throttling when 3DCG calculation was performed".

In order to investigate this further, please provide us with the following details:

1- A link to the "3DCG software" you are using and detailed step-by-step instructions of the rendering processes/tasks you perform that causes thermal throttling. (You may also share a video showing the step-by-step instructions for replication purposes).

2- A screenshot from your Intel® NUC's BIOS showing the settings in the Cooling tab.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Virago7
Beginner

i attached bios screenshot

and 3DCG SOFTWARER LINK is below.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/

i use version 2019.1.5

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Virago7

Thank you for the information. We will review it and update the thread once we have more details available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.