cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

After BIOS update can't boot with USB-C Thunderbolt connected NUC8i7BEH

I'm using a NUC8I7BEH, Win10 1909, 64 bit, BIOS 0085

I decided to update the BIOS to 0085 and now I get BSOD when I try to boot with my cintiq connected to  USB-C. If I start up without it plugged in and then connect it after startup it works fine. I did some reading that suggested removing the old thunderbolt driver and installing a newer one. I did that and removed the old but can't tell if the new one is actually installed correctly, or at all, or what. There was some shenanigans in tracking down a thunderbolt controller app, I found it but I was never able to get it operating. Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted

DKing5, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

You mentioned, "I did that and removed the old but can't tell if the new one is actually installed correctly, or at all, or what", in order to verify that please go to "Device Manager", then look for "System Devices", right-click on the Thunderbolt device, then select "Properties" and choose the "Driver" tab, now you should be able to see the driver version in there.

Just to confirm, what is the cintiq device connected to the Intel® NUC, is it a Hard Drive, SSD or tablet?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in the Intel® NUC:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Albert,

This is a cintiq tablet. In Device Manager it pops up under monitors as a generic pnp. However, there's an entry under USB Devices called Type-C Video Adapter which is also part of the cintiq setup. It is using winusb.sys. I don't see anything under System Devices that looks related to the cintiq or thunderbolt. I also just tried rebooting the computer with my phone plugged into the USB-C and also the cintiq's USB-C video adapter (with device detached) and got the same blue screen. Seems like it can't boot with a device plugged into the USB-C

0 Kudos
Highlighted

DKing5, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Even though you already updated the BIOS to the latest version, in this case, we can try to do a BIOS recovery to that same version, which is 0085, following the instructions in the links below, there are two options to do it, we recommend to try the "BIOS Recovery by Power Button Menu" first:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/intel-nuc.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29959/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-?product=126140

Additionally, please install the Intel® Thunderbolt driver version 1.41.1015.0 and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Albert,

I can't tell if the BIOS recovery worked. Step 6 under "BIOS Recovery by Power Button Menu" did not occur. Instead, when I pressed F4 to begin recovery, the computer just appeared to reboot into Windows. Is there a way to confirm that the BIOS recovery completed?

When I try to install TbtHostControllerToastComponent.inf I get an error "The system cannot find the file specified"

Also, in the thunderbolt driver instructions it says to download the thunderbolt control center app from the MS Store -- I get an error when I attempt that. In searching for a solution I've seen other people with the same problem. Do you know of an alternate download source?

Thanks, 

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi DKing5, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

In reference to your question, "Do you know of an alternate download source?" The link that we provide is the one directly from Microsoft Store to download the "Thunderbolt Control Center", probably is the same you already tried but just in case:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/thunderbolt-control-center/9n6f0jv38ph1?activetab=pivot:overviewta...

Now, regarding "Is there a way to confirm that the BIOS recovery completed?", you can see the progress status of the update just like when you do a normal BIOs update, you should get a "Succesful Message" after the BIOS recovery is completed.

If the problem persists, after trying the BIOS recovery, the "Thunderbolt Control Center" installation and the Intel® Thunderbolt driver version 1.41.1015.0, please provide the SSU again with the new updates.

Also, could you please share the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error that you are getting?

Please provide a screenshot of "Device Manager" if the Thunderbolt device is showing in there.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I poked around in the BIOS and under Devices > USB Configuration I tried unchecking  "USB Legacy." This solved the issue, the computer will now boot with the cintiq plugged into the USB-C. 

Does a BIOS update reset all the settings of the previous BIOS version?

I am still unable to download the Thunderbolt Control Center. I'm able to install other apps from the store but I immediately get an error with the T'bolt Control Center.  My problem is what's described here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000033223/intel-nuc.html -- but I can't do any of the items in the fix it column -- can't uninstall any existing T'bolt software, there's no Base System Driver showing in the Other Devices category in Device Manager, so I can't update that driver. And I can't manually install the driver because that one inf file will not install due to error.

I still can't tell what Thunderbolt/USB-C driver is being used. I mean, the thing is working again but all this other supposedly required stuff doesn't seem to exist on my system

0 Kudos
Highlighted

DKing5, Thank you very much for sharing those updates and providing the report and the picture.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the Intel® NUC is now booting when the cintiq device plugged into the USB-C.

Regarding your question, "Does a BIOS update reset all the settings of the previous BIOS version?" the answer is yes, when you do a BIOS update all the BIOS settings get reset to default values.

Now, relating to the Thunderbolt Control Center and the Intel® Thunnderbot driver, we will do further research on that matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DKing5, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case we can confirm that the OS version currently installed is 10.0.18363, the latest Windows* version should be 19042 (version 20H2). Could you please try to do the Windows* upgrade and then try to install the Thunderbolt Control Center and the Intel® Thunderbolt driver?

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/10/20/how-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2020-update...

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello DKing5, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

My windows cannot update to 20H2, the error says "your pc has hardware that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10" ... I'm not sure which hardware is causing the problem but my first guess is the cintiq display. So I'll keep waiting on windows to see how it all shakes out

0 Kudos
Highlighted

DKing5, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, excellent, no problem at all, take your time and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos