Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

After running properly, NUC7i5DNB board fails to boot. Power led (greed) is on, but white led never turns on. Detaching the CMOS battery and attaching it again bring the NUC back to life. How can I prevent it?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

DAvno, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Based on the information and the details that you mentioned, it seems that the problem could be related to the Intel® NUC itself or to the CMOS battery, it seems to be a hardware issue.

In this case, we can always try to replace the CMOS battery, please follow the instructions showing on the link below in order to do that:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006787/mini-pcs.html

By the way, I sent you a private message requesting additional information to further assist you.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for your quick response. We are using the NUCs as part of demo system we deliver to our clients. Unfortunately, we had this issue with several NUCs, so I would like to get a better understanding on the source of this issue.

Is there a way to diagnose this problem and determine whether it is a battery issue or other hardware issue?

BR,

Dvir Avnoon

Arbe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Dvir,

1. Since your issue is with number of NUCs, I believe that there is a very low probability, that this failure is caused by depleted CMOS battery. My suggestion is to update Bios using Bios Recovery method from Power Button Menu. Please follow my instructions:
  2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BN0080.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28990/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95067) on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use one of the rear USB slots.
  3. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override.
  4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  5. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
  6. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  7. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  8. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  9. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

DAvno, I just wanted to check if the steps provided previously were useful for you and if the problem got fixed after following them?

If the issue remains, could you please then confirm how many Intel® NUCs are showing the same behavior?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

We are on a holiday till Tuesday. I will start updating NUCs bios as soon as I get back. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this issue on my desk. It usually happens after some field testing or travelling abroad with our system.

BR,

Dvir

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Dvir,

1. In your last post, you indicated that this failure "...usually happens after some field testing or traveling abroad..."
  2. I would say that in both situation, the NUC is disconnected for some time from Power Supply and only the CMOS battery keep the RTC.
  3. So, it may indicate a weak CMOS battery (not completely depleted). The battery power is enough to keep the RTC, but weak to keep boot.
  4. Yes, I know, this battery should not have any effect on boot parameters. However, in this forum I saw that sometimes the boot is affected by weak battery. Probably there is some bug in bios.
  5. So, try to remove Power Cord for a night and see if failure returns.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leon,

I took one of the NUCs that showed the boot failure issue, removed its power cord and kept its power off for a couple of days. It had no problem booting when plugged in.

Is there a way to verify it is not a CMOS battery issue like testing battery voltage when NUC fails booting?

Dvir

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi Dvir,

1. This is specification for CR2032 battery (with the test procedures) http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1496885.pdf. According to specification, the voltage should be 3VDC - 3.4VDC. I saw in this forum that battery showing 2.9V wasn't good and caused problems in boot.
  2. You may buy a new battery here https://www.electrocohen.co.il/items/1213442. The price is high, but that what I founded close to you.
  3. Try to update bios using recovery method I described above.

Leon

0 Kudos