I recently noticed that there was a new Intel PROSet/Wireless driver for my NUC8i7HVK. The version is listed as 20.120.0 in NUC Downloads. I tried to download and install the driver via both Downloads and Intel DSA but in both instances, when the installer iniates, I only get a small window with a circle-like icon with the movement inside (there was no such window appearing with the installer of the previous Wireless driver, at least that I can remember). The window closes pretty fast and then nothing happens. I tried to fully uninstall the old driver first but that did not help.
The funny thing is that my current Wireless driver should be 20.90.0 according to Intel Downloads file name. However, Intel DSA informs me that my Wireless driver is 22.214.171.124. Moreover, sometimes Intel DSA says I'm up-to-date and sometimes it informs me of this newer driver.
I can confirm that that the same happened in my NUC8i7HVK trying to install the latest WiFi driver (only saw for a moment small icon and the installation paused). In my Device Manager I see also driver ver. 126.96.36.199.
I'm not using DSA, and my installation try was manual installation.
Good to know I'm not the only one. I actually have another NUC (5th gen i3) as HTPC. This NUC had the same issue as well. I guess Intel has screwed something up with this Wifi driver update.
Do the following:
- Download the latest Bluetooth and Wireless installation packages from the Intel Download Center. Place on System disk; your desktop is ok.
- Disconnect NUC from Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless.
- Uninstall the existing Bluetooth and Wireless packages from Apps and Features.
- Reboot, keeping internet disconnected.
- Install latest Bluetooth package (which you downloaded earlier).
- Install latest Wireless package (which you downloaded earlier).
- Reconnect internet.
Hope this helps,
- I've followed yours procedure , but the results where the same. Only small icon was displayed for a moment and the installation stopped. In the Device Manager, still the driver version shown was 188.8.131.52 Dated 31.Dec.18.
- Then I've checked the Release Notes for this driver https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28591/eng/ReleaseNotes_WiFi_20.120.0.pdf. It is mentioned there that the driver version for AC 8265 Adapter is indeed 184.108.40.206 and not 20.120.0 as shown in Download Site. So, probably in NUC8i7HVK this driver (i.e. 220.127.116.11), is the correct one.
Same for NUC5PGYH,
Both downloaded Version: 20.120.1 (Latest) as Version: 20.120.0 of the driver refuse to install
Latest version of the driver download that works on my NUC5PGYH is 20.90.0
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 (driver version: 18.104.22.168)