Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12532 Discussions

Audio problem on NUC11PAHi5

FR4
Novice

Hello

I just install a NUC11PAHi5 with Windows10

Everything works fine except the Realtek(R) Audio sound output (Jack 3.5)

the sound does not come out instantly

the beginning of a sound is not reproduced  (typically 100ms)

the problem disappears when the Sound settings are opened to the playback tab

Did you notice the same thing? Is there a way to fix it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

FR4, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it?

Was the audio feature working fine before?

If so, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

FR4
Novice

Hello sir

Thank you for considering my problem

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

yes it is brand new

When did you purchase it?

I bought it three weeks ago

Was the audio feature working fine before?

She's always had this flaw.

If so, when did the issue start?

The problem started on day one.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Negative

Which specific Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10 21H2 look at the attached file

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

At home

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

See attached file

The temporary solution I found is to permanently open the sound configuration window in the playback tab and there, the sound starts instantly

Sincerely

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello FR4, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

According to the information in the SSU report, we can confirm that the latest BIOS version for your Intel® NUC, which is 0042, is currently installed in your machine:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19694/bios-update-patgl357.html?wapkw=nuc11pahi5

Besides that, please make sure that Intel® Chipset driver version 10.1.18793.8276:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19695/intel-chipset-device-software-for-windows-10-...

And the Intel® Management Engine drivers are currently installed on your machine, version 2040.100.0.1029:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19726/intel-management-engine-driver-for-nuc11pa.ht...

And then, please install the Realtek driver version 6.0.9247.1, which is the latest, once you get the chance, let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19725/realtek-high-definition-audio-driver-for-wind...

Regards,

Albert R.

FR4
Novice

Hello Albert R.

The four points have been checked

BIOS is Ok 0042

Intel® Chipset Driver Version 10.1.18793.8276 Reinstalled

Intel® Management Engine drivers version 2040.100.0.1029 reinstalled

Realtek driver version 6.0.9247.1 is already up to date

After reboot the problem is the same!

I am disappointed

See the attached file for my temporary solution This window is permanently open and it's Ok for the sound

Has another user noticed this problem? Can you test it on your machines? What can I do ?

Thank you sir

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello FR4, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after trying the troubleshooting steps provided previously. In order to answer your questions, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

FR4
Novice

Hello thank you for your reply

I'm looking forward to you bringing more information on this topic...........

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello FR4, You are very welcome. I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this case, we just wanted to confirm:

You mention you can play an audio track but the actual audio comes out of the device typically 100ms after you hit play. Is this correct? 

This issue, does it happen only on the Realtek audio (3.5mm)?

What audio software/application are you using? local file, internet: youtube?

What brand/model of speakers are being used? Speakers, Headphones.

When the audio plays back, does it start from the beginning? Keep in mind, 100ms is equivalent to 0.1sec

Based on the SSU, we can confirm that you have a webcam (Iriun webcam), just to make sure, was the camera removed for testing, do you have the option to try that?

Regards,

Albert R.

DaveF
Beginner

FR4, I've noticed the same problem with my new NUC11PAHi5, running Windows 11.  It is most noticeable when Windows sounds the alert when a new notification comes in, or there's some other warning.   The start of the sound is clearly clipped.

I have no suggestions for fixing it and will be following this thread.  Just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

FR4
Novice

Hello, here are answers

You mention you can play an audio track but the actual audio comes out of the device typically 100ms after you hit play. Is this correct?

Affirmative that is correct
All short sounds of windows notifications are truncated and therefore inaudible because too short. Typically the attached file listen to it.
However when the sound exceeds approximately 100ms then during 8sec the problem no longer exists the following sounds come out instantly and after 8sec of inactivity the sound card deactivates again

This issue, does it happen only on the Realtek audio (3.5mm)?

Exactly only on the Realtek audio (3.5mm)

when I use a usb sound card (see the attached file) there is no fault as on my old NUC5I3RYH which works perfectly

What audio software/application are you using? local file, internet: youtube?

the result is the same regardless of the source

What brand/model of speakers are being used? Speakers, Headphones.

the result is the same regardless of the loudspeaker I tried several

When the audio plays back, does it start from the beginning? Keep in mind, 100ms is equivalent to 0.1sec

negative, it does not start again at the beginning because a part is cut off

Based on the SSU, we can confirm that you have a webcam (Iriun webcam), just to make sure, was the camera removed for testing, do you have the option to try that?

Iriun webcam has been removed for the test and it’s equal

Thank you for dealing with this issue, but I’m not alone in seeing it.
Thank you DaveF for reporting

FR4
Novice

Hello

I'm still investigating for my part and I found something interesting.
The problem is not hardware but software. It's a driver problem.

I changed the driver file 'RTKVHD64.sys' by a Windows 7 file retrieved from another PC then rebooted = It works !

see attached file (1- and 2-)

The file is loaded at each boot and it's ok except when we cut the power of the NUC.
At the next boot it's dead, the sound card is not connected anymore. See attached file (3-)

I also attach the SYS files if you can understand something.

See with Realtek for new drivers compatible with the NUC11PAHi5.

Thanks

Alberto_R_Intel

FR4, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

We will continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get more information I will post all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi FR4,

We are still working on this issue, currently trying to replicate it. I will get back to the community as soon as I have an update.

Thanks,

Ronny G

FR4
Novice

Hi Ronny G

OK for the news I wait patiently hoping for a update
thank you

FR4

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi @FR4 

We tried to replicate the issue that you reported, I even asked my peers for help but none of us could really experience this audio issue.

I would recommend two options at this point: 1) Fresh Windows* installation as a final test and/or 2) Product replacement.

We don't process warranty orders via the community due to security/privacy concerns, so I would recommend that you visit the following website and look for the best option to reach back to us https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html#support-intel-products_98414:9841...

Regards,

Ronny G

FR4
Novice

Hi,

Thank you for your proposal to take back/exchange the NUC/reinstall Windows10 but no, after many tests I found a solution that works perfectly and that suits me.

This combination is operational after rebooting the NUC and especially after cutting the power supply and rebooting.

For those who are interested, here is the procedure:

In the folder : C:\Windows\System32\drivers rename the file RTKVHD64.sys because you will not be able to delete it.

Copy the attached file with the same name into this folder.

Reboot the NUC and it's ok.

The attached file alone solves the problem no need to downgrade the whole Realtek driver

Its version is 6.0.1.7564 of 2015/07/24  05:44

See the screenshot.

I specify that I do not use 'HD Audio Driver for Display Audio' it is disabled at home and therefore I do not know its behavior following this trick.

You can consider the problem as solved at least for me.

You can close the thread

I just hope that the next Realtek driver updates will not forbid this solution.

Thanks

Alberto_R_Intel

FR4, Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

"I found a solution that works perfectly and that suits me.", perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to find the solution for the audio problem now the Intel® NUC is working properly.

Thank you very much as well for taking the time to share the steps to fix this issue, we are sure they will be very helpful and useful for all the pers looking at this thread.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.