Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
THaeb
Beginner

Auxiliary power INPUT for NUC6CAYH

I try to start an embedded system and don't want to power the NUC over the jack. When I power with the jack, I have the 5V and 19V on the auxiliary connector on pin 1 and 4. But I can not power the NUC when I connect 12V or 19V to the auxiliary connector.

The NUC remains off and I do not know what the problem is... according to the manual it shoul work?!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Thimotheus,

Thank you for contacting us.

In this case, just to make sure that we are not missing something, please go ahead and check the Technical Product Specification for your unit: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC6CAYS_NUC6CAYH_TechPr... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC6CAYS_NUC6CAYH_TechPr...

At page 46 under the second note it specifies the Connector model as JTE (JOINT TECH): A1250WV-S-04P A-Series (Wire to Board) Vertical SMT Connector 1.25mm pitch, 1A rating.

Is that by any chance the one that you are using?

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

THaeb
Beginner

Yes, the Connector and wiring is fine.

I was unpricise: "When I power with the jack, I have the 5V and 19V on the auxiliary connector on pin 1 and 4." --> I have 5V and 19V also on the connected wires when connected to the connector.

It just seems that the NUC does not take the applied power when I change voltage input from the jack to the aux. connector.

THaeb
Beginner

Hello Diego,

is there any change to get an answer if the aux. connector is not usable for internal power supply on this version of the board? Maybe here are differences for the types of board!?

Best regards,

Tim

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Tim,

The AUX power connector is not intended to be used to power the NUC6CAYB. The engineering team is telling me that the connector is only rated for 1A and has only 1.1A of overcurrent protection. The Technical Product Specification (TPS) states: "The Auxiliary Power Connector is a limited voltage source (output) for 5V Standby and the voltage supplied to the board (typically 19V DC) for use by expansion peripherals."

Sorry,

...S

THaeb
Beginner

Scott,

thank you. But is "and the voltage supplied to the board (typically 19V DC)" misleading? So also the 19V DC is just output "to another board for use by expansion peripherals"?

Is there any NUC version with an internal power connector instead of the jack? So we could just switch to another NUC board with these connecor. As I remember, older boards were equipped with this option!?

Best regards,

Tim

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The wording is clunky, I agree, but the meaning is clear (well, in my mind ). They are essentially saying that the voltage seen on that pin will be the same voltage that was supplied by the external power supply -- and that could be anywhere between 12V and 19V (though 19V is typical as the Intel-supplied power supply provides 19V). This is a roundabout way of saying that there are no voltage converters in the path between the two connectors.

You are correct; in the case of the NUC6CAYB, the connector, overall, is just there to provide power to attached device(s) (what they are calling "expansion peripherals"). This connector type is actually supported by a significant number of the NUC System and Kit products.

Overall, only those NUC boards that are sold as standalone board products will have an "internal" connector to support power input. The standalone board products are:

NUC7i7DNBE

NUC7i5DNBE

NUC7i3DNBE

NUC5i5MYBE

NUC5i3MYBE

DE3815TYBE

Note: My understanding is that, when you purchase one of these board products, no external power supply is included; you are required to provide this yourself.

The higher prices for these board products, as a result of their positioning as Extended Lifetime products, may put them out of your comfort range. In my opinion, unless the extended lifetime feature is of importance to you, it would be cheaper to purchase the NUC6CAYH (or its 7th generation replacements, NUC7CJYH and NUC7PJYH), pull the board out of the chassis and use it separately. It means adding a connector tip to your power supply output, but this is a lot cheaper than the alternative!

...S

THaeb
Beginner

Thanks for the precise and enlightening answer!!