Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

BIOS Update For 5i5RYH

I keep a close eye on the available updates and the current BIOS version is 0369 for my W10 64 bit. However on the specific download site there exists a version 0370 for OS Independent and not W10 64 bit.

What does OS Independent mean (and please excuse my ignorance)?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

O.S. independent means that it fits all supported Operating Systems (i.e. Windows or Linux in this case). So, same Bios firmware fits both systems.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thank you, Leon, for answering. Unfortunately I must be suffering a bit from old-age-itis and need a bit more clarification, if you would.

The Intel utility DSA shows I have an up to date BIOS version in 0369.

Intel's download centre shows 0370 for OS Independent as previously discussed but under the specific category W10 64 bit it shows 0369 as Previously Released but does not show 0370 as an option.. If I click on that (as if to update 0369) it has a bold yellow banner declaring a newer version is available.

If I go to that place then there are only three update options, being .BIO, .BI.ZIP and .UEFI.ZIP. There is no Windows Express option, which, because of its simplicity, is my preferred way of updating.

So, should I wait in expectation that version 0370 will shortly be included in the specific W10 64 bit category and will therefore come with the Windows Express installation option or is it absolutely necessary to install 0370 via one of the three aforementioned options?

Indeed, is it necessary at all to update?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Sorry for the deleyed answer. I'm on the road and using my cellphone to answer. Indeed, the ver 0370 is the latest version for your computer. For reason known only to Intel, an exe file of the latest firmware wasn't released (and I've now idea if it will). I'm for my self not using the express method for bios update, because not always is reliable. In my opinion the bios recovery update is better. Many people are using the F7 method for bios updating. Because in the above methods you can update bios even if Operating System is not installed yet - such update is OS independent.

You don't have to update to ver 0370 but it is good practice to update bios to the latest version. Intel engeneers are investing big effort to release new bios in order to keep your computer with less bugs and more safe from foreign attacks. The instructions how to update bios you may find here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/mini-pcs.html BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

In the following thread you may find my post with instructions how to update bios:

Hope this will help

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thank you indeed, Leon, for your detailed explanation.

Personally I do not see the sense in having a particular OS category, eg W10 64 bit, and not including the actual latest BIOS version within it, nor suddenly to remove what was, certainly for me, an easy and painless way of updating.

Hopefully Intel will change their minds.

Thanks again for your response. It's good to know help is available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Three quick questions.

If I use the Recovery Method to update my BIOS I know I need to press F4 after the power button menu pops up. Can I use an air mouse for that or do I need to have already plugged in a cabled keyboard and/or cabled mouse?

Also do you recommend any particular USB port to plug in the USB stick? My unit has a blue, a brown and two ordinary USB ports.

I have a spare Toshiba 3.0 USB which I used to do a clean install of W10 last year. If I fully (long) format that in FAT32 before loading the .BIO file, will that be OK?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Use keyboard (while pressing F4). If your keyboard works when you press F2 to enter bios settings, it will work in Power Button Menu too.

2. Any of four USB ports os OK.

3. This USB stick should be OK.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Great stuff. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I do hope this is not a silly question, but I have downloaded the .BIO file to my Downloads folder on the actual NUC which requires updating. I have fully formatted in FAT32 mode a USB memory stick.

Can I insert the USB memory stick into one of the NUC's ports and simply copy the .BIO file to that or should another PC be used?

If I can copy across on the NUC would I then need to 'Eject' and remove the said USB memory stick, shut down Windows, thereby turning the NUC off and then insert the stick before doing the Power Button Boot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Yes, copy the downloded file to your USB inserted to NUC slot. Poer the NUC OFF (no need to eject the USB). Now you may start the bios update proccess.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Many thanks for the swift reply. I shall attempt it tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I will try to be slightly less terse...

Yes, you can do the setup of the USB flash disk right on the actual NUC. In this case, the shutdown of Windows will automatically purge the buffers for the USB flash disk and thus the disk will be properly closed and "ejected" -- but be there ready for power on to complete the install of the BIOS update.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thank you, Scott, for your more detailed reply, which is appreciated, as is your much longer narrative in another thread on the EBU.

As a newcomer to, but avid follower of, this NUC forum I realise that updating the BIOS using a different method would be considered relatively inconsequential in view of the difficulties some people have with other problems. However, for me it was a big deal and I am pleased to report I have successfully updated my BIOS to version 0370 using the recovery method.

So thank you Intel forum in general and thank you Leon and Scott in particular.

Jon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I would also add that, in retrospect, 'purge' was not a good choice of words; 'flush' would be significantly better...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

No problem. I understood what you meant.

0 Kudos