Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nao
Beginner

BIOS itself fails to boot when ”Intel Rapid Storage technology” is selected. [LAPQC71A]

Jump to solution

*Phenomenon
 The PC does not boot up after changing the settings.
 The power light blinks, and after a while, it restarts. This is repeated.
 The manufacturer's logo and recovery menu are not displayed.

*Models experiencing this problem
 LAPQC71A

*BIOS Version

*Recovery method tried
 Tried BIOS recovery procedure.
 ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056678/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-laptop-kits.h... )
 Power button and security jumper did not change the situation.

*How to reproduce the problem ( It happened on 2 out of 2 machines in our case)
 1)Select BIOS settings -> Storage -> Mode 
        [MODE] Select Intel Rapid Storage technology.

2)Save and reboot.
  →After that, it will not boot up.

3)Recovery menu by power button or jumper is not displayed.

Are there any other recovery methods I can try?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello nao

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After reviewing this further, it is worth mentioning that Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors or issues loading the operating system (OS) will be present when changing the SATA mode. This is just like any other NUC and it is expected that the device will not boot when a change in SATA mode is done at BIOS level and you previously had the OS installed. (It would be required to either reinstall the OS or change back to the original SATA mode).

However, since you mentioned the "BIOS became unbootable and non-recoverable" and reviewing the blinking pattern, this seems to be a BIOS issue. If the recovery option using the .cab file does not work, our recommendation at this point is to contact your supplier or place of purchase for warranty support.

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @nao

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Just to make sure we understand correctly, is this a behavior that you can consistently reproduce and are you able to set the device back to a working/default state using the Recovery method but the issue comes back once you select again "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" mode?

Or once the issue occurred, are you unable to recover the device and unable to boot up in the BIOS/Operating System?

2- Did this configuration work fine before or are experiencing the behavior since the first day that you have the system?

3- What is the primary reason for you to select "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" mode? Are you trying to configure a RAID volume? If yes, is it RAID 0 or RAID 1?

4- Are the two M.2 slots populated with M.2 drives? Did you install the drives? If yes, do you handle the brand and model(s)?

5- Have you checked if there are any overheating symptoms on the device?

6- Does the Power light blinking show a specific/consistent pattern?

7- Was an operating system (OS) already installed in any drive? If yes, what is the OS version that you are using?

Or would be this an attempt to install the OS for the first time?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

nao
Beginner

@AndrewG_Intel  Thanks for the reply.

1- After I had this problem, the BIOS became unbootable and non-recoverable.
 I got the same model after this happened, and when I did the same settings, it happened again.

2- It was working before I changed the settings on my PC.
 The original operating mode was AHCI.
 This time I switched to this mode and the problem occurred.

3- The main reason I chose this mode was to improve SSD performance. 
 I changed to this mode to see if it would really improve the performance, since Intel's website mentioned the feature.

4- The SSDs are stored in the M2 slots.
 The first machine.
   1) Intel SSD 660p
   2) WD Blue SSD WDS100T2B0C

The second machine.
   1) Intel SSD 660p
   2) Intel SSD 660p

5- There are no overheating symptoms on the device.

6- The power light is
  On, flashing quickly for a while, then powering down.
  This is repeated.

Movie →https://youtu.be/ghvBDW_EV4E

At this time, the screen remains blackout.

7- The OS was Windows 10 20H2 installed.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nao

Thank you for your response and for all these details.

Please allow us to look into this behavior and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available or in case additional information from your environment is required.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

nao
Beginner

Hello @AndrewG_Intel ,  Thanks for the reply
I really appreciate your quick response.

If new information is needed, I will gladly send it.

If you need traceability, please use the following information:

Product Serial : ***removed***

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nao

Sure!, you are very welcome and thank you for the serial numbers. We took note of this information and then we edited your post to remove them due to privacy concerns and just in case avoid exposing sensitive information.

We will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nao

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After reviewing this further, it is worth mentioning that Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors or issues loading the operating system (OS) will be present when changing the SATA mode. This is just like any other NUC and it is expected that the device will not boot when a change in SATA mode is done at BIOS level and you previously had the OS installed. (It would be required to either reinstall the OS or change back to the original SATA mode).

However, since you mentioned the "BIOS became unbootable and non-recoverable" and reviewing the blinking pattern, this seems to be a BIOS issue. If the recovery option using the .cab file does not work, our recommendation at this point is to contact your supplier or place of purchase for warranty support.

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

View solution in original post

AndrewG_Intel

Hello nao

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

nao
Beginner

Thank you for your advice.

Recovery doesn't work, so I'll have to resort to the dealer or repair store.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @nao 

Probably now is to late with my advice since your Windows was corrupted already. However, I want to inform you that  I have changed SATA mode quite many times  from "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System" to AHCI (and then back to "Intel RST...") without corrupting Windows. I did this in NUC10i7FNH (Aptio V BIOS) and in NUC7i7DNHE (Visual BIOS). Both NUCs are equipped with Optane Memory and the O.S. installed on HDD.  In order to do this without causing damage to Windows, you need first set Windows to SAFE Boot Mode.

Leon