cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

BMC email alerts dont seem to work - AXXRMM4LITE2 on an S1200SPOR board

Hi

We have the on board BMC, we only use the Dedicated Management NIC which has an IP address and works (we use the KVM alot). On page Configuration > Alert Email we select the LAN channel, then setup the SMTP IP address and other details (see image), then on page Configuration > Alerts we select Lan Channel "Dedicated Management NIC and under Alert Destination # 1 we put in the email address (which is the same mailto:network@ashleygriffin.co.uk network@ashleygriffin.co.uk), when i then press "Send Test Alert" we get nothing.

It doesnt even try to connect to the email server (i have the logs to see this).

Whats going wrong here?

Many Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hello,

First, install the latest BIOS update package with EFI shell, this will ensure us that the latest version of the firmware will be running on your machine.

Before proceeding with further setup, please check the section 7.3.9 from the RMM user guide. Make sure you set Alerts properly before proceeding to the next screen.

Please let us know the outcome.

Best regards

G. Sanchez

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Server has the latest firmware (see below)

Host Power Status : Host is currently ON

Remote Management Module key : Installed

Device (BMC) Available : Yes

BMC FW Build Time : 2017-09-11 15:42:03

BIOS ID : S1200SP.86B.03.01.0026.092720170729

BMC FW Rev : 1.10.10925

Boot FW Rev : 1.05

SDR Package Version : SDR Package 0.24

Mgmt Engine (ME) FW Rev : 04.01.04.054

Baseboard Serial Number : xxxxxxxxxxxx (blanked for security reasons)

We configured ALL alerts on Dedicated Management NIC (the same one with the SMTP settings), when we save and Send Test Alert, it says it was sent, but the email server shows no connection attempt at all from the Intel management IP address.

Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Hello,

The only settings available are the ones from the screenshots. There is not her setting, other than BMC settings. Based on the description you are giving us, this seems to be more an environmental issue, than a hardware or configuration issue.

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

You say "there are no other settings", and yet here are some more..., i have access to this email servers log, this BMW IP address NEVER makes contact to that server... please explain? The email server is live and receives email from many hardware on the LAN, only this BMC will not contact it...

So if all the other hardware works (Grandstream IP PBX, APC PSU, APC UPS, Xerox printer, Web based email clients), you seem to be saying the network switch decides not to route just the Intel BMC traffic to this email server?

Jorge_S_Intel
Employee

Could you please access the BIOS and check the current BMC settings? Is there anything different on that setup from the one you showed us in the screenshots?

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Will check later in the week, the server is offline for now...

idata
Community Manager

Ok, please let us know if any update.

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

The BIOS BMC setup only has IP addresses settings, nothing about email (that i can find).

The IP address is the same as (for now as testing) its DHCP... The BMC works, we can remote console (video) to the server no issues, its the email part that isnt working.

UPDATE to this, since we started we have just replaced the whole server board, i am now seeing the email arrive at the email server. There is a new problem. The BMC needs to authenticate, i cant see anyway of doing this.... can this be added to the "to do" list of firmware updates. It needs SSL and TLS as well for authentication.

idata
Community Manager

Ashley,

Thank you for the details. Glad to read the replacement of the board solved the email problem. Regarding the BMC feedback, I will pass it over, so the developers can have the customer's suggestions.

In addition to that, you can also provide the feedback through the ITP program.
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

"In addition to that, you can also provide the feedback through the ITP program."

How do we do this?

idata
Community Manager

You can contact your Intel Rep. through an authorized reseller. Or call our Programs team over the phone, and get further details about the ITP program.