Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12546 Discussions

BNUC11TNKI50000 "Windows could not update the computers boot configuration" Win 10 Home Install

GerardK
Beginner

I'm trying to install for the first time Windows 10 Home on my BNUC11TNKI50000.

On first boot, the hard drive was detected in the BIOS, but Windows could not see it once I booted from the Win 10 Home install USB media.

So I updated the BIOS using the F7 method, using package TNTGL357. This then allowed Windows to see the disk, and commence install.

However it bombs out during the install with the message:

"Windows could not update the computers boot configuration"

I found an article online suggesting disabling UEFI secure boot, which I did, however this made no difference.

For reference my SSD is an M.2 NVME Samsung 980 1TB. I do note that only the 970s are on the compatibility list, but assumed that being in the same family, the next drive should work, so I dont think that is the cause. 

Is there another BIOS setting I need to modify to allow Windows to do what it wants to do in the boot configuration?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Your SSD Samsung 980 should be compatible with your NUC. I however would prefer Samsung 980 Pro as it has PCIe Gen 4 interface with much higher  performance than Samsung 980.

1. I suggest you install Windows using the following method:
2. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB – 32GB USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  Use this installation media, instead the one you bought. This will install the latest version.
3. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
4. With the installation media inserted into the rear USB slot, power ON your NUC and repeatedly press F10 to get Boot Menu.
5. In this menu, choose the UEFI option of your Installation media.
6. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation.
7. In para. 9 you may enter the Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought .
8. Skip on para. 14 and continue in para. 15. Important, do not format the drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
9. Press Next and continue with the installation.
10.Once you finished the Windows 10 installation, you should download and install all drivers for your NUC.
The drivers you may find on Intel Download Page for your NUC. You have to manually download and install the Chipset Device Software as a first driver. Once you have this driver installed, reboot your NUC and continue with the other drivers (Graphics, WiFi, etc,...). The sequence of the installation is now not important and you must reboot your NUC only once, after the last driver is installed.
After installing the Chipset Software, you may download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use it to install all the drivers, instead of doing this manually. Next, you may upgrade to Windows 11 for free.

Hope this will help

Leon

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Your SSD Samsung 980 should be compatible with your NUC. I however would prefer Samsung 980 Pro as it has PCIe Gen 4 interface with much higher  performance than Samsung 980.

1. I suggest you install Windows using the following method:
2. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB – 32GB USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.  Use this installation media, instead the one you bought. This will install the latest version.
3. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
4. With the installation media inserted into the rear USB slot, power ON your NUC and repeatedly press F10 to get Boot Menu.
5. In this menu, choose the UEFI option of your Installation media.
6. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation.
7. In para. 9 you may enter the Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought .
8. Skip on para. 14 and continue in para. 15. Important, do not format the drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
9. Press Next and continue with the installation.
10.Once you finished the Windows 10 installation, you should download and install all drivers for your NUC.
The drivers you may find on Intel Download Page for your NUC. You have to manually download and install the Chipset Device Software as a first driver. Once you have this driver installed, reboot your NUC and continue with the other drivers (Graphics, WiFi, etc,...). The sequence of the installation is now not important and you must reboot your NUC only once, after the last driver is installed.
After installing the Chipset Software, you may download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use it to install all the drivers, instead of doing this manually. Next, you may upgrade to Windows 11 for free.

Hope this will help

Leon

Leeb
Beginner

Hi,

I have done everything you say in your post and I still get the error: windows could not update the computer's boot configuration

I have 16GB RAM and a MMOMENT MT34 SSD in a NUC (NUC11TNKi7).

Everything I try fails. It appears to be making the boot drive X and the recovery drive C.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Leeb 

This thread is open by other user a year ago and solved for him. You may have completely other problem although for you it looks similar.

If you want an advise here, open a new thread and describe the problem. Attach to your post an image of Advanced>Storage screen from BIOS , showing that your SSD is recognized in the M.2 slot. Pleas also attach and image of the BIOS Main screen, showing the BIOS version.

In addition, please describe the Operating System you are installing.

Leon

Leeb
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thanks for the reply, I found another thread and that fixed my problem, I was trying to install from a USB with a DVD image on.

Lee

LeonWaksman
Super User

I'm glad that your problem was solved. But, if you were following my post above, you will notice that in paragraph 2, I've mentioned that you should create the installation USB, using Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

Leon

GerardK
Beginner

Awesome stuff. Thanks Leon, that worked a treat. I'd have thought that Windows media was smart enough to pull the required updates over the air, but I guess it was too early in the build process to enable WIFI connectivity. Much appreciated.