Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11300 Discussions

BOXNUC8i7HNK2 died after 30min of usage???

JayDee
New Contributor I

Hello,

today i got from post office INTEL NUC  BOXNUC8i7HNK2

installed SAMSUNG 970 EVO  v-nand ssd

and

HYPER RAM 2x 16GB           

i bought original windows 10 pro and install it

and after it turns on it sad i need to reboot the system for configuration windows and after another boot.... machine work just fine for 15minutes and than died. I did't do nothing at all i was surfing on internet with my laptop so i didn't saw no warrnings or anything. I tought it just went to sleep mode but after mooving mouse or presing any keys i got suspicious..... everything was off... dead... i tryed to turn it on and power button didn't do nothing.

I allso checked the forum for any simple solutions... so i remove the V-nand SSD and 2x Ram. Reinstall all 3 components and no luck. This NUC simply died.....

I measure the power brick and it is giving normal voltage

Does anyone have any idea what to do? Guarante time is maximum 45days... I can't reorder new product becouse its out of stock here in Slovenia.... So before i send it to service company.... Is there anyone with same problem and had any solution to it?

Machine worked les than 1 hour.... It was pluged in HDMI at back of the machine and to LG TV 42LV4500 with 1920x1080 resolution.

It was on wooden board so it wasn't any soft thing so the cooling fans worked well.

SSD

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/

RAM

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX424S14IB_16.pdf

BACK MACHINE INFO:

Product Code: BOXNUC8i7HNK2

Regulatory Model: NUC8HN

Date of Manufacture: 08/2020

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JayDee
New Contributor I
Thank you very much, i was scared that i got back different NUC.

So everithing is great now. Nuc is working (for now 1h) and it looks like i had bad luck when i order it. So it was really just faulty machine. I got new one from company and it is working super

Thank you for your support and fast response.

Best regards

Jan D

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JayDee, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

For these kind of problems, we recommend you to try the following: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005845/intel-nuc.html  

Check the behavior of the LED light while starting, you mentioned the machine seems to be dead. So in this case the LED lights should be completely off: 

Bad power source: 

• Try connecting the NUC to a different AC outlet. 
  • If using a power strip, try plugging the Intel NUC directly into an AC outlet instead. 
  • If you have one, try another Intel NUC power adapter. 

Drive problem 

Check the drive is seated securely. 

• If you're using a 2.5" drive, check the drive cable is securely connected to the motherboard header. 
  • Try a different hard drive or SSD. Boot failures have been observed if a drive is defective. 

Try resetting the NUC: 

1. Unplug your NUC from the AC outlet and wait for about 10 seconds. 
  2. Press the power button on the front panel of your NUC a couple of times. Do this with no power source connected to make sure the NUC discharged completely. 
  3. Connect your NUC to the AC outlet and try to turn it on. 

If the above does not work, then most likely this problem is a defective unit. As you recently bought it, the best to do is checking with your reseller directly for further warranty help.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

JayDee
New Contributor I
I read some forums...
I try to remove disk and ram components and reinstall them... no luck

Than i measure power brick and it worked 100% correct...

So i send it to company to check/repair IntelNUC8i7....

I am waiting them to answer me...

I will replay again after i got informations...

Before i send it to service company i ask them if is there any trick to solve problem... they say to unplug power suply and wait 1-2minutes so all power is totaly off... than plug back the power brick... pres the power button and check if the led power led blink for a very short moment... but it didn't... so the service guy sad that i need to send it to them...

He sad that this is really just bad luck and he is using same machine and it work 100%, he even sad that this tipe of death is really reare... so i hope to get back repaired or new NUC...

I will let you know all here what the report sad about the NUC death.
JayDee
New Contributor I
Today i got call from service company... they sad that it looks like a bigger problem for this NUC8i7 PC. They will send me new NUC8i7 PC and this dead one will be send to oficial intel company. They say i need to contact official company to get results about this PC what was wrong with it. So i desided when i got new one i will post here my older serial number so official company will know what was wrong with it and maybe can answer some questions about the technology behind it.

After all it looks like i had really bad luck when i bought it whith this serious error or problem.

I don't know if this forum is really the official company that will get this NUC8i7. If it is we can together solve the problem about it. If not, maybe you can tell me where will be sended this NUC PC from Slovenia?

My firs thinking was if maybe was the graphic gpu got burned out becouse i pluged it in TV with 96cm diagonale and it was too big load for gpu core to show the picture. But i use allso raspberry pi 4 and it is even smaller and lower specification but runs 2 big TVs with 30fps in 4K or one big TV in 60fps in 4k. So i supose this shouldnt be the problem for NUC PC if u plug in TV with resolution 1920x1080 in HDMI plug.

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JayDee,  

Thank you for your reply. 

I would like to let you know that once the unit goes to the Intel warehouse, there will be no testing made from our side that can be shared. Also, as the unit is returned by the reseller, we do not know if they replace it through a different channel. 

As soon the unit is received it is just replaced like for like. 

As you mentioned, most likely you just ran into bad luck and received a defective unit, hopefully, the replacement one from your reseller will work as expected.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JayDee,  

Were you able to check the previous post and see the information provided? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

JayDee
New Contributor I
Yes i saw last post... i tought maybe intel will share information... no problem if not... hope i got new one next week and hope it will work... so the starting question about tv pluged in nuc... it looks like it must run normaly and it was really just bad luck for me, so others will know that bigger screen can't just burn out the processor or anything.

Thanks for more trust in thos product and hope it will really work as it should
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JayDee,   

Thank you for the update. 

We also hope the new machine will work as expected!  

We will proceed to close this inquiry. However, if you need further assistance, do not hesitate to open a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

JayDee
New Contributor I

Hello

Is there any different betwen models....???

BOXNUC8i7HNK2

and

BOXNUC8i7HNK

AlHill
Super User

The "2" indicates the AC power plug.  2=EU

Look here under "ordering and compliance":

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126141/intel-nuc-kit-nuc8i7hnk.html

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

JayDee
New Contributor I
Thank you very much, i was scared that i got back different NUC.

So everithing is great now. Nuc is working (for now 1h) and it looks like i had bad luck when i order it. So it was really just faulty machine. I got new one from company and it is working super

Thank you for your support and fast response.

Best regards

Jan D

View solution in original post