Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AAalt
Beginner

Bad smell in a brand new unit?

This is my first NUC so I don't know what to expect. Help me out, please!

I bought a NUC6CAYH from Amazon and when it arrived the entire package had a very strong smell of mold / mildew. It was so bad that the smell adhered to my fingers and I just couldn't handle the unit or any of the materials that came with it - papers, the box etc. Amazon took the unit back and sent me a replacement.

....except that the replacement smells too. It's the same model, but built a month later (end of June instead of May) than the previous one and the smell isn't as bad as the first one; i.e. it still does smell pretty much the same, just much milder. I've been into computers from the 80s and have various Raspberry PIs, Arduinos and related components around the house so I know it's not the usual cozy "new electronics" smell, but instead a very sharp pungent smell, just like mold i.e. mildew. I took the unit outside to my balcony (it's near freezing where I live at the moment) to see if it helps to clear the smell, but it seems that especially the rubbery PSU cabling is worst affected.

Am I going crazy or is this a common issue with NUCs???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have *never* heard of anything like this happening before. No, that's not a normal smell. The only smell you might get is the faint wiff of solder the first time that you power it on - but nothing before that. I wonder if something is happening in Amazon's supply line. Get it replaced again and see what happens...

...S

AAalt
Beginner

I had to take this one into use already so returning it is not an option

Ventilating the unit and the power adapter outdoors did not help. I booted the machine and as a test set the internal fan to max from the BIOS and just by smelling the exhaust air 10 inches / 30 centimeters away the smell is still pretty obvious. The smell did not change when powering on the unit which leads me to believe there has to be some pretty low level contamination going on.

By Googling around it seems there are two somewhat recent reports or more precisely reviews that mention the issue, though they are for a different model:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-mini-NUC7i7BNH-Core/product-reviews/B01N0RL8Q4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_view... Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Intel NUC mini PC kit NUC7i7BNH (Intel Core i7)

Regarding one of these reviews the comment about the throat and sinus did apply to the first unit I got, it was much much worse.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Whether you powered it on or not, Amazon will replace it.

...S