Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12538 Discussions

Basic help with NUC7CJYSAL MEMORY PROBLEMS

TimC
Beginner

I am constantly getting memory full messages with a one year old NUC.  I have routed browser downloads to the D drive but it still tells me that I have memory problems.  Windows 10 wants to upgrade and won't because of these problems.  I also can't operate my printer due to "Insufficient Disk Space".  I don't know how to tell this machine to use the "D" drive other than for the Chrome web browser.

Please note, I am not tech savvy and will unlikely know technical terms if you start throwing them at me.  Please just advise if the hardware is adequate to allow for enough memory.  I mainly want to know what to tell a local service shop without sounding like I'm ripe for emptying my wallet.

Here's the specs on this NUC and the hardware installed...

NUC 7 Essential   NUC7CJYSAL with Windows 10 Home

Celeron J4005 2 Ghz

4 GB DDR4 S DRAM

Added after purchase

"D" drive - 2.5" SSD Kingston SV300S37A/120GB

RAM - 4 GB Kingston SDDIMM 4GB DDR4

Thanks much!

Tim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may install your Windows on the 2/5" SATA Drive.   Windows is now installed on the 32GB eMMC memory and may be cloned to the SSD or it may be clean installation. The Windows license number is stored in BIOS.  After installing the Operating System on the SSD, the eMMC storage should be disabled in order to avoid collision with the new C: drive. Enter BIOS settings  Advanced > Devices and Peripherals > Onboard Devices. Disable eMMC Built-in Storage.

BTW, 120GB SSD is not big either. You may buy new and larger SSD. The list of compatible SSD, you may find here.

Leon

TimC
Beginner

Thanks so much Leon.  That makes sense.  I don't have the confidence to accomplish that, but, now at least I know what to ask the tech to do.

A new drive is only about $35 for a 240GB.  I might go that route though the tech usually frowns on me supplying the hardware.  He wants to make a little markup and as a small business I don't mind that...

Tim