Intel® NUCs
Assistance in Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience has changed to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12979 Discussions

Battery percentage not increasing when charging

Tsindos
Beginner
The laptop shows it's charging, though it will not increase its percentage. I have tried a temporary fix (after a reboot the issue persists), by uninstalling both the battery components in device manager and then rebooting the laptop. Most people online said this 100% fixed the issue for them. This fixes it only until I reboot the laptop again after that. Intel NUC M15, absolutely brand new
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Tsindos

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide the following details:

1- Please elaborate more on what the exact behavior is?

• Is the battery stuck at a specific charging level? For instance, not able to charge above 50%, 70%, or 90%?
  • Or is it charging 100% (e.g.: "you know it completes a full charge because you can use it for many hours on battery") but Windows shows as it is not increasing the battery charge status at all?
  • If possible, please provide a screenshot or short video of the behavior so we can understand it better.

2- Are you using the original power adapter/power cord that came with the laptop?

3- Do you have the Intel® NUC Software Studio Service installed on the laptop?

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Tsindos

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Tsindos
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

My laptop battery seems to be working fine as of now. I think continuously uninstalling the battery drivers from device manager had it eventually fix the issue. Though there is another minor issue I'd appreciate some assistance with. Regardless of whether the laptop is charging or on battery, it will sleep after two or so minutes. I've set all the screen and sleep settings in "Power & Battery" to never turn off, though it doesn't recognise the settings. I think it might be a face detection wake and sleep thing, since often when I approach the laptop the screen will turn on and vice versa. I found online that there should be "Presence" settings but there are no settings of that kind for me. Even when I am playing music on spotify, the screen will turn off and the music will stop playing. Only when I keep a video playing, the screen will stay on.

Regards,

Jasper Tsindos

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Tsindos

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to know that the laptop's battery seems to be working fine now. Thank you for the feedback.

In regards to the other behavior (screen going to sleep after 2 minutes), this seems to be related to default and expected behavior due to the Time of Flight sensor that comes with the Intel NUC M15 Laptop Kit.

If that is correct, we recommend going to the section User Presence Detection on the Intel® NUC Software Studio and moving the Lock When Not Present slider to the OFF position.

For more information regarding this behavior and the options available, please refer to this article: Why Does the Screen Go Black After 90 Seconds on the Intel® NUC® M15 Laptop Kits - LAPBC710 & LAPBC510

Please let us know if this helps with the behavior you are experiencing.

Note:

In case you need it, here is the Intel® NUC Software Studio Service (required to ensure that all Intel® NUC Software Studio features are fully functional) and the Intel® NUC Software Studio is available on the Microsoft Store*.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Tsindos
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

I turned those settings off in the software studio service and unfortunately the screen will still sleep. Even after restarting the laptop, I check and see the setting in the software studio service remains off but the screen will still sleep. I'm not sure what more info I can give to help..

Regards,

Jasper Tsindos

Tsindos
Beginner

Here is a screenshot of my software studio.

BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I do not know if this is related here but I recently ran into an Intel laptop that presented as not being able to charge. The charge percentage was 15% and would not go higher. This also blocked BIOS updates due to the percentage being too low.

Turns out that the mechanism that determines the charge percentage had become corrupt and the battery was actually fully charged. I was lucky and the BIOS had an option to disconnect the battery logically and then run off wall power alone. Unplugging the wall power caused the logical battery disconnect to be undone and on first boot the battery percentage was displayed correctly.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Tsindos

Thank you for your response.

Based on the previous Intel® SSU report that you provided, our understanding is that the laptop is running BIOS version 0071. Currently, we have 2 newer versions available. Could you please update and let us know if the behavior is different?

First, update the BIOS to version 0072. After verifying that the update was successful, you can then update to the latest BIOS version 0074.

To perform the update of those two versions, we recommend the F7 Update method following the steps in this article: BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUC Laptop Kits with the Aptio® V UEFI Firmware BIOS Core.

Please let us know if the behavior stops or persists.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Tsindos
Beginner
Hi,

Unfortunately the behaviour still persists. Is there anything else I can send you for info.
When sound engineering or DJing, this can become an actual real issue! Luckily while djing even when the screen turns off and goes to lock screen, the music keeps playing as it's automatic through a USB connection. But use 3.5mm connections and the music will pause as the screen turns off.
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Tsindos

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Tsindos

Thank you for your resposne.

We understand that you updated to the BIOS version 0074 and the issue persits.

However, just a couple of days ago we have released a newer BIOS version. At this moment theh latest one is Version 0075. Could you please update and test if the behavior is the same?

To perform the update, we still recommend the F7 Update method.

If the behavior persists, please provide us with a new/recent and full Intel® SSU report (.txt file) to investigate this further.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Tsindos

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello Tsindos

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.