Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
concord1982
Beginner

Big issues NUC10i5FNB 3.5mm Audio Jack not working

3.5mm Audio Jack worked well out of the box and stopped working after an update. Followed the instructions here in Support Blog and reinstalled Realtek High Def Audio Driver Win 10, 64-bit and it worked well until next reboot - after which jack was not working. Then tried to uninstall all Audio Drivers and run check up, it recommended to reinstall same driver which did not work. Now, each time I reboot it is asking me to reinstall said driver, which I follow but still no success.

I am running my audio from the monitor, which is connected with a HDMI, but the sound out of the monitor is substandard to what should have been out of the NUC.

BT connects well to my Bose Headset, but delivers no audio as well. What are my next steps?

Thanks

Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i3FN

0 Kudos
18 Replies
concord1982
Beginner

Here is a pic of the Device Manager, it does not show the Realtek Driver. It seems that I am not alone with this issue, reading other posts.

Have there been remedies to fix this?Device.jpg

LeonWaksman
Super User

If your audio system is connected to the monitor and the monitor is connected to your NUC with HDMI cable, the Realtek Audio Driver is not responsible for the audio output. The audio signal reaches your monitor trough the HDMI cable, together with the video signal. The Intel Graphics Driver takes care for the both signals. So ensure that the Graphics Driver is updated. In addition, I suggest to update the HDMI Firmware as well.

Leon

concord1982
Beginner

none of these remedies work, @LeonWaksman Leon but thank you for suggesting.

This about ends my patience for a very expensive equipment, which I need for work. Pardon but I do not have unlimited time to fiddle with a brand new product which does not do as promised.

In a usual retail situation, we are patient for a fix. If the fix isn't coming or we are not heard as consumers, the product goes back to the vendor for full credit.

AncientSquash
Beginner

I've been having the same issue withy my Intel NUC10i7FNB. I've never been able to get the 3.5mm jack to work and periodically search the forums to see if someone has found a solution. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant also reminds me everyday that it has found a driver update (Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i3FN) despite me having clicked 'Install' in respect of this update at least a dozen times.

I also have never seen the Realtek Audio Driver appear in the Device Manager (under Sound, video and game controllers) - as with the @concord1982 - it's always been 'High Definition Audio Device'. Likewise - the exclamation point (denoting something is not working properly) has always been showing against "Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED) - Code 10. Nothing suggested on the Intel website by way of solution worked.

Interestingly - I came across this post today:

Intel NUC 10th Gen HD Audio problem. : intelnuc (reddit.com)

I've not tried it myself as flashing BIOS is always a risk and I don't want to end up with a NUC that doesn't work at all as everything is perfect apart from this issue..

I hope it's resolved soon and I'm sure lots of others are in the same boat!

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @concord1982

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you are having issues with the audio Realtek* audio jack component. Based on the Device Manager screenshot attached, we noticed that there is a warning/error for Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) OED. We are aware of issues regarding error codes 10 & 31 on this component. If your system is showing any of those error codes, please refer to the following link Intel® NUCs: Error 10 or 31 in Device Manager for Intel® Smart Sound Technology and try the recommended steps under section "If you have an Intel NUC product".

You can download the latest BIOS 0047 from this link: BIOS Update [FNCML357]. Also, here is the latest Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i3FN

If the issue persists or if your Intel® NUC shows different error codes, please provide the following details so we can check this further:

1- Screenshots from Device Manager >> Intel® Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST) OED >> right-click on it and select Properties. Provide screenshots from the General tab (showing any error code) and Driver tab.

2- Just to make sure, did the issue start after a Realtek* Audio driver update, or after a BIOS update?

3- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AncientSquash
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel 

I'm hoping you can also help me sort this issue out once and for all. I don't know the exact point in time the headphone jack stopped working (or whether it ever worked). I noticed shortly after I purchased the NUC10 and ran all the updates that there was an exclamation point / error message in the Device Manager as described in my previous post.

It was at that point I tried to use the 3.5mm jack and it didn't work and I have never been able to get it to work or get rid of the error message. I've tried uninstalling the Realtek driver and re-installing but nothing I tried so far as given me a solution. I have attached all the screenshots you requested and fingers crossed we can find a solution that also works for @concord1982 .

Thanks

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @AncientSquash

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for your feedback.

You may try the steps in the following link Intel® NUCs: Error 10 or 31 in Device Manager for Intel® Smart Sound Technology section "If you have an Intel NUC product >> Error Code 10" and we recommend manually install the Realtek driver by downloading it directly from our Download Center instead of using Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA). In case you try it, please feel free to share the outcome of the steps or the outcome from the third-party forum (Reddit*) in case you also try that.

Since your Intel® NUC is already running the latest BIOS version 0047, what you can try is a BIOS recovery. You may try one of the two BIOS Recovery options on this link: BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUCs with the Aptio® V UEFI Firmware Core

You can use the previous links provided to concord1982 as they also apply to your device.

We hope this helps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AncientSquash
Beginner

Thanks @AndrewG_Intel . I have tried to manually install the driver (after first uninstalling) but this didn't work. Unfortunately I can't confirm whether the 3.5mm jack actually worked prior to updating to the latest BIOS 0047.

I am hesitant to try BIOS Recovery if this is the only thing that doesn't work properly on my NUC10. I obviously don't want an irreparable hardware issue if the BIOS Recovery process goes wrong... Is that a risk?

concord1982
Beginner

I can confirm that the 3.5mm jack did work before a BIOS update.

I am, too concerned to 'brick' the equipment with a BIOS flash and appreciate any assistance.

Basically, I am walking in the same shoes as @AncientSquash 

AndrewG_Intel

Hello all

Thank you for your responses and feedback.

If the BIOS recovery is performed according to the recommended steps, it should have no issues. However, it is known that in any technical process, there is always a little possibility that things may go differently than the expected behavior.

We do understand your concerns. In this case, we will investigate further before you try the BIOS recovery. @concord1982, we noticed that you already posted a screenshot of the error. Could you please also provide us with an Intel® SSU report following the steps we previously shared? This is in order to check this further using the environment details of your device as well as the information provided by @AncientSquash

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AncientSquash
Beginner

@AndrewG_Intel - Should I also hold off until you fully assess the set-up @concord1982 has? Also - assuming I do try the BIOS Recovery option - which would you recommend of the two options? One of them states that it should be performed by a trained/qualified technician which sounds ominous.

Given @concord1982  and other posts I have read said that the 3.5mm jack was working fine before the latest BIOS 0047 update - would you suggest recovery to the BIOS version that immediately preceded 0047? 

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @concord1982 and @AncientSquash

Regarding your concerns, in this case, let's try the following:

Please try the F7 Update method following the steps in this link BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUCs with the Aptio® V UEFI Firmware Core and using the latest BIOS 0047 from this link: BIOS Update [FNCML357]

If the issue persists, please @concord1982 provide us with the Intel® SSU report so we can check this further.

Note:

Downgrading the BIOS to an earlier version isn’t recommended and might not be supported. When trying to downgrade to a previous BIOS version and its Intel® ME Firmware version is older than that currently on the motherboard, then the downgrade is not supported.

As per the Release Notes (FN_0047_ReleaseNotes.pdf), since the BIOS 0047 updated the ME Firmware from 14.0.39.1339 (on BIOS 0046) to 14.0.39.1389, we recommend trying the F7 Update using BIOS version 0047.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello all,

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AncientSquash
Beginner

Hi @AndrewG_Intel

Thanks for following up. I tried using your suggestion of the F7 BIOS update method via a USB flash drive. This successfully installed but hasn't resolved the issue. I restarted my computer following the update, uninstalled the Realtek drivers then did a fresh install but still having the same issues. An error in the Device Manager as described in the original posts and no audio from or detection of earphones when plugged into the 3.5mm Audio Jack. The Device Manager also doesn't have Realtek anywhere in the 'sound, video and game controllers' or 'audio inputs and outputs' sections. So basically the various fixes you have suggested have not worked for me.

I hope the next BIOS update can fix this or Intel can release some kind of fix / solution as it would be nice to get audio working from the 3.5mm jack.

Thanks again for your help though.

concord1982
Beginner

I have been following the continuation of this thread, without performing the BIOS procedure and now I learn that this also does not fix the 3.5mm audio jack issue.

To add to the problems, I can connect my BT headset to the system, but there is no audio.

In addition, my BT keyboard and mouse act erratic and work only at times.

Looking forward to a fix to a unit which I expected to work out of the box,

thank you

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @AncientSquash

Thank you very much for the feedback regarding the outcome of the F7 BIOS update method.

Hello @concord1982, unfortunately, it seems that we are missing the Intel® SSU reports from your replies. Nevertheless, we will check this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Note: Regarding the issue with the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, we recommend checking the battery status of the devices and reviewing if you are running the latest Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Driver for Intel® NUC. If the peripherals are using their own USB Bluetooth adapter, make sure you have the latest driver from the manufacturer. If the problems persist, we kindly recommend creating a new thread to better assist you. This will allow us to focus on one issue at a time. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello @AncientSquash, @concord1982,

I am really sorry to hear that you are having issues with our products.

We have been investigating this situation with no luck, we really need a couple of affected units for debugging. Can you please reach out to Intel Customer Support directly and request warranty replacement? We do not offer warranty service over the community due to privacy concerns.

Please contact us back via Phone, Chat or Email, here is our contact information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7 and make reference to case 04947929.

Regards,

Ronny G

AndrewG_Intel

Hello concord1982

We have not heard back from you so we recommend that you and everybody else having this issue, please reach out to Intel® Customer Support and check warranty availability for the affected unit. Some customers are already replacing the unit so we will proceed to close this thread now.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.