Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKeen
Beginner

Bios settings for Ubuntu Linux install.

Hi, I have just purchased a NUC6CAYH, unfortunately I can't access the visual bios on my main 42" Panasonic tv, even though the resolution is supported, but luckily I can on my 22" Samsung tv.

I want to install a Ubuntu dvd from an external optical drive, what would be the best recommended settings in the bios for this so when I switch back to my main hdtv without bios access it will work ok.

Obviously setting boot order for install etc but is there any permanent settings to save and will a bios update allow access to the visual bios on my main hdtv instead of the black screen. I thought switcing to a classic text bios would work but there is no option for this.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Only windows 10 is supported on your nuc:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005628/mini-pcs.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products

Doc

RKeen
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, looks like I was given some bad advive by the seller. In the bios it has a Linux option, but I suppose the bios is the same on different models, oh well Windows 10 oem, but I think I'll sell it at get a minix N42 with windows already installed, the support is there if anything goes wrong, thanks again.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Let's be careful what we say here. While Windows 10 is the only O/S Intel officially supports on this platform, Linux can indeed be used and is, in fact, used all the time. For support, however, you need to rely on the Linux community; you won't get any formal help here...

Hope this helps,

...S

RKeen
Beginner

Hi, thanks for reply, sorry that did sound a bit alarmist, I would have tested it first, only if it couldn't be installed and run adequately for my needs would I change the device. One person on Amazon.co.uk installed Ubuntu 16 but had some display problems. The best price Windows 10 Home is £85 for the oem version here in the UK.

RKeen
Beginner

Had some answers from owners on Amazon for this model, both installed and running Ubuntu, one running Ubuntu 18.04 perfectly. So hopefully should be ok.

RKeen
Beginner

Just the bios problem, but will ask in another post, thank you

RKeen
Beginner

Installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, working great, tried the Budgie and Cinnamon desktops but prefer the standard LTS. One thing off note, the wallpapers are very low res so downloaded some HD ones.

Web, video, youtube, 4k with certain desktop installed, all good, just downloaded my Canon linux printer drivers so that's my next job.

May I ask one more question, if I update the bios do you think I can enter the bios on my main hdtv, black screen, I thought there was a standard text bios that could be enabled for this? Thank you for your replies and help.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, sorry, text-mode BIOS Setup is not provided. If your monitor/TV does not support the 1024x768 resolution (which all displays supporting PCs are supposed to handle), Visual BIOS isn't going to display.

...S

RKeen
Beginner

Thanks for reply, well a got Ubuntu up running so I'm pleased and will have my 22" hdtv for bios changes, thanks.