Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Black Screen with 3D Games on a brand new Skull Canyon with LG 5K thunderbolt display

HI,

I'm running a new Skull Canyon device along with a new LG 5K (27MD5KA-B) thunderbolt monitor. It's a pretty plain install of Windows 10 pro, the intel utility to download all the latest drivers, and steam to play some games.

If I want to play full screen 3D games with the LG monitor, I get a black screen. Anything 3d - Wolfenstein, HL2, TF2, etc. Anything else is fine.

If I attempt to play them with a standard HDMI monitor, the games work fine.

I've completed a full wipe and install just to cover that area. The thunderbolt firmware has been updated to the latest, and the utility is installed to 'authorise' the monitor.

I'm attaching the output of the SSU.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello superhands,

My apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to request a test with a previous driver, please give it a try and let me know the results.Beta driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26604/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-Beta-15-45-?product=8... Download Intel® Graphics Driver Beta [15.45] .

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Amy!

I am away from the device for a moment, but I will test it out tomorrow and report back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks to you /thread/116571 superhands, and sure, take your time. I will be waiting for your results.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi!

I can confirm that I uninstalled the latest driver, and installed the one you suggested - no change in the game behavior, and it did cause a few issues with the screen connecting properly. Once I'd upgraded again that behavior went.

What I *did* notice was that if i ran the games in windowed mode, they showed up OK on the thunderbolt monitor. So it seems the issue is with full screen 3D Games.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

/thread/116571 superhands, thank you for trying my suggestion.

Please let me review this matter, I will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello superhands,

I would like to jump in and try to help if that is ok with you.

First I would like to make sure we have the same understanding of the situation. When you say "play full screen 3D games", are you referring to passive/active Stereoscopic 3D? (i.e. the kind where you use special glasses) Because if that is the case, I looked at the http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27MD5KA-B-5k-uhd-led-monitor specs of the LG 5K 27MD5KA-B monitor, and I do not see it being capable of doing Stereoscopic 3D.

For that reason, I am going to assume that by "3D games" you are referring basically to modern games that use 3D polygons and textures, but please correct me if I'm wrong here.

With that out of the way, back to the issue as I understand it. Please try - strictly for testing purposes - lowering the screen resolution in Windows to 1920x1080@60hz and launch any of the games. Do you still see only a black screen?

Also, have you checked this with the Monitor manufacturer to see if they have any advice? I am not familiar with this model, but I know the monitor defaults to 3840x2160@60hz on non-Apple systems since a single DP 1.2 port can't achieve 5K. I assume that internally the monitor combines two separate streams (2 monitors) in order to achieve 5K, which makes me wonder if perhaps the monitor is projecting the 2nd video stream (i.e. no video stream in your case) when the game launches in Full Screen.

Please check with the monitor's OSD (On-Screen Display) menu if you can switch between video streams (or inputs).

I hope this info helps.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

superhands, hope you were able to check the previous post.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying

To Ronald's question - yes, just standard old 3D polygon games. Was just trying to play some classics like Half Life 2 and other steam titles that I had. Like I say - if they are fullscreen they don't work, screen is blank (with audio). If they are windowed, they work fine.

You are right - the screen can't achieve 5k in windows, and runs at 3840x2160. There's no OSD as the monitor relies on the OS controls for that.

Lowering the resolution manually doesn't seem to change anything.

Incidentally, whilst using the skull canyon generally, I've seen issues using the Thunderbolt 3 monitor as my main monitor. For example:

* A cold boot of windows sometimes shows a flicker of a login screen, and then the screen goes black. I have to disconnect the thunderbolt monitor, plug it back in, and i'm back.

* Dual Displays: When using the Thunderbolt display with a HDMI or display port monitor as a second monitor, the dual display initially works. When I disconnect the HDMI or DP monitor, i can never get the Thunderbolt display back as a solo primary monitor. Screen is always black. In fact, the only way i've been able to resolve this is with a clean install of windows!

If i run with the windows standard driver, i get a lower resolution (of course), but most of the behaviour issues disappear (aside from the gaming issue).

Aside from the strangeness with these, the device runs perfectly. I'm just a bit stumped with this monitor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi superhands,

I work with Ronald, he not necessarily follow up on NUC forums but he is of great help when it comes to graphics concerns.

Do you need any additional help or can I consider this post answered?

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

I wouldn't consider the post answered no. Please see my previous posting above. The implementation of thunderbolt 3 display supports seems to be buggy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello /thread/116571 superhands,

I understand that and I apologize for the inconvenience, this was reported up for a future consideration but I cannot promise anything at this point.

We are always adding new fixes and support to our drivers and there is currently a newer Graphics Driver version available that you can try: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27058/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?pr... Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46]

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks very much - I will certainly give the beta driver a try.

If you'd like me to assist further with this, perhaps with logs, etc, then I'm more than happy to assist.

0 Kudos