cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jochen
Novice

Boot slow for NUC8BEB

Jump to solution

My NUC is slow when booting. It takes 3-4 minutes until Windows start screen is coming up. This behaviour it shows only when Windows has been shut down and the system ist completely powered off. Simple reboot takes only seconds. The HD light is flashing during the boot time.

BIOS was update to latest version as well as all drivers. Intel Driver & Support Assistant shows no more newer drivers available. BIOS was set to factory settings. Fast boot option does not change the behaviour. Scan of system was attached.  Windows version was updated to latest available version but also makes no difference between old and actual version.

Any idea what could help here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jochen,

I was looking at the video clip and it's looks for me that you have not problem with long boot time, rather with video output. On the long clip, I can see that the HDD is accessed and you don't have any video output - even the Intel NUC logo, which is generated by the BIOS. So, in my opinion the problem may be caused by bad video cable, failed video port (hardware failure), failure in video input in your monitor. I suggest you to take the following action:

1. Replace the video cable. Use the other video output. If you are now connect to the HDMI port, use the DP output (this is the USB C Thunderbolt port on the rear panel). Use other monitor video input or other monitor.

2. Update your BIOS, using BIOS Recovery from the Power Button Menu method:

3. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0083.bio  on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).

4. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.

5. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).

6. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.

7. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.

8. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.

9. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

View solution in original post

23 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @Jochen 

Please measure the time for Windows startup in the two following cases:

1. Startup time following regular shutdown. Regular shutdown: Click on Start > Power and then on Shutdown.

2. Startup time following full shutdown. Full shutdown: Hold Shift key. Click on Start > Power and then ob Shutdown (holding the Shift key)

Leon

Jochen
Novice

Hi Leon,

interesting, after full shutdown it starts properly without any delay, after regular shutdown it takes 3-4 minutes as described. Any idea why this is so?

Best regards, Jochen

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jochen,

1. Are you sure?  After shutdown without holding the Shift key (leaving power adapter connected), the startup time is above 3 minutes?

2. Open Window Settings > System > Power & sleep and click on "Additional power settings" (on screen right side). Next click on "Chose what the power buttons do" and verify that "Turn on fast startup" is checked and the "Hibernate" is unchecked. See the attached image.

Leon

Jochen
Novice

Hi Leon,

yes, sure, the settings are as recommended. Strange thing. Also found out that once the system is off for a while (in this case between 1 and 2 hours) the boot time is the described 3-4 minutes, if it was just off for a short perion (e.g. shutdown, wait until it is off and turn directly on again) the boot time is short (few seconds)

Best regards, Jochen

Tags (1)
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jochen,

So, lets wait for advises from other people.  I can only say that I've checked on my NUC (I have other model than you) and there is no so big time difference when booting after regular shutdown or after shutdown and Power Cable disconnecting.  I've not right now better idea. Sorry.

Leon

Jochen
Novice

Hi Leon, thank you so far.

After testing out some options as Leon recommended it seems that the time the system is off is the difference between fast and slow boot. The HD icon is blinking on and off but seems to wait for something?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jochen,

What you mean by saying "The HD icon is blinking..."? Could be that that you mean that the HDD Activity LED is blinking? That means that the system is accessing the HDD (probably loading program from the HDD to RAM). This is normal.  The abnormal is the boot time (more than 3 minutes).

Leon

Maria_R_Intel

Hello Jochen,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

After checking your issue and the information you have been providing, we think that the behavior is related to the HDD/SSD you're using.

In this case, our best recommendation is to test a different SSD/HDD on your system, if not possible, please contact the disk manufacturer so they can help you to run a diagnostic test on your current disk to verify if the unit is working properly.

Feel free to share the outcome with us.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Jochen
Novice

Hi Maria,

thank you for your answer, will check asap and come back here with more information.

Best regards
Jochen

Maria_R_Intel

Hello Jochen,

Perfect! We will be waiting for your response.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Jochen
Novice

Hi Maria,

testing of HDD with tool from WD gives no error (s. attachment, in German)

Any specific data I can provide for further investigation?

Best regards,
Jochen

smart-result.PNG 

Maria_R_Intel

Hello Jochen,

Thank you for let us know.

I checked this internally and the behavior with the machine is pretty strange, we are unable to replicate this in our labs and we still think that the issue is related to the SSD/HDD. If by any chance you have the possibility to try a different SSD/HDD that will be amazing.

If the behavior persists with a new SDD/HDD, our recommendation is to contact the Intel Support from your region, so they can assist you to check the warranty of your unit. You can provide this thread as a reference.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Jochen
Novice

Hi Maria,

new disk is on the way, I will let you know about the results.

Thanks so far and best regards
Jochen

Maria_R_Intel

Hello Jochen,

Awesome!

Waiting to hear back from you.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Maria_R_Intel

Hello Jochen,

Just following up on your case to know if you have updates to provide or if you need further support. Please let us know.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

Jochen
Novice

Hi Maria,

thank you for your reminder. Had some technical issues with the new hard disk, had to change, will test on weekend and then let you know.

Best regards,

Jochen

Maria_R_Intel

Perfect! We will be waiting.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Jochen
Novice

Hi Maria,

I have cloned the hard disk to a brand new Samsung Evo 970. The behaviour is exactly the same. Please find attached an updated report of Intels assistent.

Best regards
Jochen

Jochen
Novice

Hi Maria,

in addition I have made two videos which are documenting the behaviour of the system (to be found here: https://www.magentacloud.de/share/y5eo7j1o49) . On the long one you see the system booting after power on. The short one is a simple reboot of the system.

Maybe that helps.

Thanks and best regards
Jochen

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Jochen,

I was looking at the video clip and it's looks for me that you have not problem with long boot time, rather with video output. On the long clip, I can see that the HDD is accessed and you don't have any video output - even the Intel NUC logo, which is generated by the BIOS. So, in my opinion the problem may be caused by bad video cable, failed video port (hardware failure), failure in video input in your monitor. I suggest you to take the following action:

1. Replace the video cable. Use the other video output. If you are now connect to the HDMI port, use the DP output (this is the USB C Thunderbolt port on the rear panel). Use other monitor video input or other monitor.

2. Update your BIOS, using BIOS Recovery from the Power Button Menu method:

3. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0083.bio  on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).

4. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.

5. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).

6. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.

7. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.

8. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.

9. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

View solution in original post