Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NMeth1
Beginner

Brightness issues with Intel NUC 8i3BEH3 and Windows 10 Pro 1909

I have a new Intel NUC 8i3BEH3 (desktop) machine with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro version 1909, with all display etc drivers updated to the latest from the Intel assistant.

The display brightness of the HDMI attached monitor (two different types) appears to be always forced to 100% - no matter what the monitor itself is set to (manual controls on the monitor will adjust it temporarily but as soon as there is any other change it reverts to full brightness).

There are no brightness settings visible from within Windows - not on the power control or System/Display pages.

It is possible to use an external app to set brightness, but again, as soon as any display change (ie if a prompt for any privileged operation pops up) then the brightness reverts to full on.

How can I regain control of the screen brightness?

Nigel.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Which graphics driver are you using?

Have you tried the GCC or GCP (under Intel in the start menu)?

Doc

NMeth1
Beginner

Its the Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics 655 driver from the Intel website - specifically this set https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29230/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers-for-Intel-NUC?... (although I let the Driver & Support Assistant find and install the sets I needed),

The Graphics Command Center app does not appear to directly affect the brightness settings (although mangling the colours can drag the overall brightness down a bit).

Nigel.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello NMeth1

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I would like to know if you still need further assistance. If yes, please let us know and kindly provide us with the following information?

1- We noticed you tried Intel® Graphics Command Center, by any chance have you tested with Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel?

2- HDMI® monitor(s) brand, model and SKU number:

3- Does this configuration work fine before with this monitor? If yes, was there any hardware, software or update change?

4- Are you using a straight-through connection (HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable.

5- Could you please provide a video or screenshots to illustrate this behavior and detailed steps to replicate the issue?

6- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

6.1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

6.2- Open the application and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

6.3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

6.4- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

AndrewG_Intel

Hello NMeth1

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Andrew G.

NMeth1
Beginner

Hi,

In the mean time I had a support request in - #04479445 - and this has been progressing.

It appears that the utility that can be found at https://github.com/blackholeearth/Win10_BrightnessSlider gives sufficient control of the brightness to meet our requirements.

Nigel.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello NMeth1

Thank you for your response.

It is glad to know that you found a tool that gives sufficient control of the brightness and we would like to thank you for the feedback.

Also, since you had a support request regarding this same inquiry, we will proceed to close this thread in order to avoid duplication of effort.

Regards,

Andrew G.

AlHill
Super User

@OJona​ You are a spammer.

Doc