Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GKell
Beginner

Bugs in latest BIOS (370/371) for NUC5i5RY?

I was fiddeling with the performance settings of my NUC5i5RYH / BIOS:

Date : 06/04/2018

Vendor : Intel Corporation (www.intel.com)

Version : RYBDWi35.86A.0370.2018.0604.1034

-Board-

Name : NUC5i5RYB

Vendor : Intel Corporation (www.intel.com)

and run into following problems:

The 'voltage offset' settings in Visual Bios under 'performance' tab are not respected after saving.

You can set whatever you want with no effect - except the voltage offset setting for graphics.

With intel XTU tool you will see then after boot into windows that no offset which was previously set and saved in bios is applied - except the one for graphics. Other hardware info tool do confirm this.

If you set a value less than '-0.5' e.g. voltage offset with XTU for one of these values (core / ring (uncore) / graphics: change together to same value in XTU) the NUC will crash and recover in BIOS.

So you can set offset value for with XTU but not in BIOS (exept the offset for graphics).

'RealTimePerformanceTuning' on/off does not affect this issue.

Next issue ist the scaling in BIOS for all negative offset values:

It starts with '-0.5' and continues with '-0.10, -0.15, -0.20...' till '-0.50' again!

The lowest possible negative value should start with '-0.05' not '-0.5'.

Using positive Values the scaling is correct.

EDIT:

- Same issues with BIOS Date : 07/09/2018

Version : RYBDWi35.86A.0371.2018.0709.1155

- only lowest negative value affected with wrong scaling of offset values

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello, renegat. Thank you for joining this Community.

Have you tried restoring the BIOS back to default? You can do this by pressing F9 followed by F10 in the Intel® Visual BIOS. Then, besides Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, do you use any other software to monitor the processor? Additionally, have you tried a previous BIOS version?

Antony S.
GKell
Beginner

BIOS was reset before and after update to 371 to defaults.

Tested the issue with one of our backup NUC5i5RYH which has still BIOS V. 366: Same behavior.

Can confirm ignored BIOS voltage offset settings (except for graphics) with CPUID HWMonitor too.

idata
Community Manager

Hello, renegat.

Firstly, I would like to let you know that I was able to replicate the issue you have with the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, however, I was unable to replicate the issue you are facing with the Intel® Visual BIOS; after a changing the processor voltage offset, saving and rebooting, the settings did not change as I set them.

Please provide me with the following:

Antony S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello, renegat.

I would like to know if you still need assistance. If so, please share with us the information requested above.

Antony S.

GKell
Beginner

My intention was just to inform intel about a bug in their BIOS for NUC5s.

There is no assistance needed - I just thought you could be interested in a report to fix this issue in upcoming BIOS updates.

The information collected by the Intel ssu-tool is much too substantial as it contains logs, personal data and settings related to the operation system which I really do not want to share in public or even with you.

As the issue appears with different ram the part numbers seems pretty irrelevant to me.

But for your information:

1.) NUC5i5RYK

Manufacturer: Kingston

2x Part Number: ACR16D3LS1MNG/4G

2.) NUC5i5RYH

Manufacturer: Kingston (HyperX)

2x Part Number: KHX1866C11S3L/8G

3.)NUC5i5RYH

Manufacturer: Samsung

2x Part Number: M471B5173DB0-YK0

idata
Community Manager

Hello, renegat. Thank you for the information provided.

Since the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility issue was replicated, we will report this to the proper team. For us to do that as well with the Intel® Visual BIOS issue, I wanted to make sure that you were using compatible hardware.

Antony S.