Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12531 Discussions

Burnt Capacitor on d54250wykh board

Danno320
Beginner

Hi Everyone

I have a burnt capacitor on an old NUC that I use as a great little work computer and it's an easy fix.

Does anyone know where I could get the schematics for the board so I can get the capacitor value? I don't know where to start I'm afraid. I could obviously go and by another one but it's a personal challenge now!

Cheers

Dan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Dan,

Here's the information that you'll need:

n_scott_pearson_0-1650987598368.png

n_scott_pearson_1-1650987614947.png

Good luck with the repair attempt - and let us know what happens,

...S

View solution in original post

11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Post a picture of the damaged area.
...S
Danno320
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Scott

Pictures are attached so hopefully it makes sense. The burnt area is behind SO-DIMM 1 socket as circled.

There's some vapourised track that I can easily repair and the heat reflowed the solder for some of socket legs that I can clean, braid and resolder.

The obviously fried cap is the larger 0602 and I'll also replace the smaller 0402 so I need their vaules to complete the job properly. I may be able work out what values they are but it would be great if it was official. I doubt those cap specs changed in later models so other electrical schematics would probably work fine. They look like they are related to temperature monitoring and subsequent auto fan speed so a bit of trial and error wouldn't blow much else......... hopefully!!!!

Thanks in advance for your time

Dan

SO-DIMM socket 1.jpg

SO-DIMM socket 1 Caps.jpg

n_scott_pearson

I will try to get you an answer Monday or Tuesday...

...S

Danno320
Beginner
That would be amazing.

You're a legend.

Thanks so much Scott

Dan
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Danno320

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

We hope that the assistance provided by the community has been helpful.

Also, we would like to inform you that due to the Intel® NUC Kit D54250WYKH has been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

Note: You might need to search for the proper Product Category and click on its "Show more" link if the product is not visible in the top rows.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

n_scott_pearson

Dan,

Here's the information that you'll need:

n_scott_pearson_0-1650987598368.png

n_scott_pearson_1-1650987614947.png

Good luck with the repair attempt - and let us know what happens,

...S

Danno320
Beginner

Wow, I'm so happy

I hate throwing things away that can be repaired so you've made all the difference Scott. Thank you so much.

I'll come back and post pics of the repair so you can see the effects of your input.

If you're ever on the south coast of the UK and find yourself in a place called Arundel I owe you a fish and chips with a beer to wash it down!

I'll be back next week with an update

Thanks again

Dan

Danno320
Beginner

Right, I'm finished

I removed the caps and cleaned off the carbonised damaged area. Buzzed out the connections. Tidied up the legs. Replaced the caps with new ones but I exchanged the smaller 0402 with a larger 0602 so it could handle more current due to the damaged track. I also added extra solder to the bridge for the same reason.

Swithched her on and....... she's back!!!

All working as expected.

Thank you again for your help Scott it really is appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

haoyouab
Employee

Hi @n_scott_pearson

Sorry to reach you in this way. Since you retired from Intel I couldn't find your name on Skype or Teams (yes we switched from Skype to Teams now) anymore.

I have a question regarding the capacitor on my NUC. It's NUC8i7HVK (Hades Canyon) and I accidentally ripped off one of its capacitors (see pic below) when I was replacing the thermal paste. I would also like to ask you for help if you can somehow access its schematics to find what model of that capacitor is. Thank you  in advance!Screenshot 2022-12-03 215603.png

n_scott_pearson

Well, that's good to hear - and unusual for this type of issue.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Already answered you in your other posts.

...S