Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KHent
Beginner

CEC Problem: Turn on NUC when TV is turned on does not work.

Jump to solution

Hello from Germany.

With bios version 0038 my Intel NUC6cayh wakes from S3/S4/S5 power state when TV is turned on.

After updating to BIOS 0048 my TV (Philips 42PFL7655K) recognizes the NUC as new CEC

device when CEC (Philips EasyLink) is turned on, but the NUC does not wake up when TV is turned on,

respectively when the connected hdmi device is selected. Downgrading to BIOS version 0042 did not

solve the problem.

I have tried the following setting in BIOS:

Advanced -> Devices -> VIDEO -> IDG Primary Video Port set to HDMI

-> HDMI CEC Control -> Checked

-> TV HDMI Port HDMI 1

-> Wake On TV -> From S3/S4/S5

Fast Boot and Deep S4/S5 are disabled in BIOS Setup.

If Auto Turn On TV is enabled the TV turns on when NUC is turned on but the other way does not work.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated or is there a safe way to go back to bios version 0038.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Chris_V_Intel

CarlosNUC, so sorry for the delay!

Finally have a BIOS fix for this, you can download it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27887/BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A- Download BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL.86A]

View solution in original post

15 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello CarlosNUC,

I understand that you are having problems with the CEC.

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

David V
KHent
Beginner

Hello David V,

thank your for your email.

Here is the information you asked for:

1. see attached file "BIOS.bmp"

2. G6AY706003UR SA J26843 - 402

F44D306A33FC

3. Linux Mint 18.3 64bit / Kernel 4.13.0-39

4. 1x Crucial DDR3 4GB 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 SO-DIMM (CT51264BF160BJ)

5. SSD Samsung 850 Evo MZ-75E250B/EU 250 GB

6. Rii i8 mini 2.4GHz wireless touchpad keyboard

WD passport HDD 1TB

Regards,

CarlosNUC

idata
Community Manager

Hello CarlosNUC,

Thank you for your response,

I am currently reviewing the details you have provided and I will be trying to replicate the problem and/or find a solution as soon as possible. Please allow me some time and I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
Chris_V_Intel

Hi CarlosNUC, we've found the issue and have a BIOS fix. We're going through testing now and I'll update this post when it's released.

Chris_V_Intel

CarlosNUC, so sorry for the delay!

Finally have a BIOS fix for this, you can download it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27887/BIOS-Update-AYAPLCEL-86A- Download BIOS Update [AYAPLCEL.86A]

View solution in original post

KHent
Beginner

Thank you for the new BIOS (51) that fixes this issue.

Kind regards

CarlosNUC

Chris_V_Intel

Great! Good to hear!

idata
Community Manager

Hi cvare,

I have the exactly same issue with NUC7i3BNK and the latest BIOS (BN0065.bio). Can I also have BIOS update with the fix, please?

The device is absolutely amazing and I'm totally happy with it, except this small glitch. We're going to put 20pcs in schools and the fix will provide the much smoother user experience.

PS: I realize there is "Fixed CEC not working correctly" line in the release notes for v65 BIOS, but it didn't fix the issue for me, unfortunately. Here is the information on my device:

2. Product Name: NUC7i3BNK

Version: J31188-312

Serial Number: G6BN81200Q62

MAC: 94:c6:91:1c:b9:be

3. Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-24-lowlatency

4. 1 x Micron DDR4 4GB 2400 MHz / PC4-19200 SO-DIMM (4ATF51264HZ-2G3B1)

5. No SSD, No HDD, the device is PXEBOOTed

6. Logitech Media Keyboard K200, Logitech M105 Optical Mouse

7. The TV is Samsung 55" 4K UHD, Model number UA55MU6103KXXT

Chris_V_Intel

Sorry leshik, just saw this.

I would love to get you a BIOS that works, but BIOS 0065 fixed the issue for me and others, what functionality isn't working for you?

idata
Community Manager

Yeah, cvare, same problem here – I wonder how can I be notified by email on new messages in threads.

Anyway, my problem is NUC understands HDMI-CEC commands from TV correctly, but only when it's turned on. I mean, I cannot turn on NUC simultaneously with TV using TV remote. I'm not sure if it's a BIOS bug or this particular TV model bug, so I wonder if by any means I can test NUC is receiving CEC "power up" command correctly. Maybe there are some utils I can install on Linux and dump the protocol messages?

Chris_V_Intel

Yeah, the notification system is having some issues, the team is working on a fix.

Hmm, very strange. I as well had these issues, but 0065 fixed them.

Any chance you have another CEC capable system to test to see whether it's the NUC or the TV?

Also, it's worth a shot to try a BIOS recovery. Not sure it will do anything, but it's a quick way to just give the BIOS a bath.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Hmm, not sure how we'd see the protocol messages since this is before boot, but let me see what I can find.

One more thing. What fixed my issue, besides BIOS 0065 is that I didn't have the current HDMI 2.0 FW loaded. Try updating the FW as well, in fact I'd try it first: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26609/HDMI-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN... Download HDMI Firmware Update Tool for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN, NUC7i7BN, NUC6CAY

idata
Community Manager

Hi cvare, thank you for your suggestion on HDMI firmware update, I didn't know about this. It might be a bit complicated because we don't have Windows at all. Is there any way to update it from the UEFI shell (or Linux), or at least to know somehow the current FW version installed?

As for CEC capable devices, I, unfortunately, don't have others. We've bought 20 TVs for schools, and now we are going to buy 20 NUCs for a pilot project. I'll try to find some other TV for tests and then let you know.

Chris_V_Intel

Sure!

At this time there is not. We've tried several times to get our vendor to make one, but as of now we don't have anything. While I realize it's a pain, you could get another drive, put Windows on it-for free-update the FW then go back to your other drive. I know, a pain, but worth a shot.

idata
Community Manager

Hi cvare,

I've updated HDMI firmware to the latest version and restored the BIOS to v66. I'm not sure about HDMI firmware, though it said the version was updated to v1.72, when I hit "Get FW version" it prints something like "Bobcat IROM" and no version number. Anyway, it didn't help to resolve the issue, but I'm starting to think there is something wrong with this Samsung TV. It doesn't turn NUC on when I turn on TV with the remote, but if I physically unplug the TV from the outlet and then plug it back, NUC gets turned on ok. I'm still looking for some linux utility to dump CEC messages.

Chris_V_Intel

Hi Leshik.

You are correct, if you are not using an HDMI 2.0 device, the FW version will display as "Bobcat IROM", but the FW does get updated. I've added a note about that in my latest instructions.

Sorry to hear it's still not working correctly.

I know it costs money-though not too much-but another option is to try the adapter from Pulse-Eight: https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/154/intel-nuc-hdmi-cec-adapter Intel NUC HDMI-CEC Adapter - Pulse-Eight - Ultra HD Distribution and Control Products just to confirm it's not the TV.

Up to you, just wanted to give you a choice.

Be sure to select the correct harness if you do choose Pulse-Eight: