Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRayn
New Contributor I

CPU Frequencies

I am looking to replace my 5i5RYH and I have a query about CPU frequencies.

The 7i7DNHE has an i7-8650U v Pro with a base frequency of 1.9 GHz and a turbo boost to 4.2 GHz.

The 8i7HNK has an i7-8705G with a base frequency of 3.1 GHz and a turbo boost to 4.1 GHz.

The second unit is significantly more expensive than the first (I know it is for reasons other than just the CPU) but i do not understand that if both CPUs can run at a very similar upper speed (4.1/4.2) what the significance of the different base frequencies is.

I use my NUC in the minority for general computing operations and in the majority for streaming videos from the internet.

Can anyone explain this in simple terms, please?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You can compare both processors here: https://ark.intel.com/compare/130411,124968 Intel® Product Specification Comparison

Doc

JRayn
New Contributor I

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, I see that but I still do not understand the significance of the very different base frequencies and the near identical maximum frequencies. My quite possibly naive question is would the two CPUs not be considered more or less equivalent if they can both run at 4.1/4.2 GHz? Why would one CPU have a base frequency so much higher than the other? What benefit does that give?

JRayn
New Contributor I

Can anyone help me with my query, please?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The numbers you are comparing are the Max Turbo Frequency for each processor. Remember that this is the attainable frequency when only a single Core is in use. As the work builds and the load is spread across the other Cores, the attainable clock frequencies for the various Cores drops much more significantly in the case of the i7-8650U.

There are other factors that also come into play as well. One is the I/O capability of the processor. The i7-8650U's I/O capabilities are capped at 4 GT/s. The i7-8705G, on the other hand, supports a full 8 GT/s. This is very significant.

Hope this helps,

...S

JRayn
New Contributor I

I'm more sure I understand it now.

For my purposes I think I shall wait for the 9th generation NUC, on which you have kindly commented in my other thread.

Thank you for replying, it is much appreciated.