cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Can I Install The Same BIOS Using A Different Method

Jump to solution

When I tried to upgrade the BIOS on my NUC8i7BEH from 0078 to 0079 it went wrong ( as was well documented at the time) and I got a nasty green flash on every boot up. I was hoping that would go on the next upgrade from 0079 to 0081 but it did not - I used the Express method.

So when this latest upgrade from 0081 to 0083 appeared I wanted to use the .bio (F7) method, which I have many times before on this and other NUCs, but the USB was not identified for some reason, so I proceeded successfully to install 0083 using the Express method. However, I still have the nasty green flash upon boot up and I really want to try the .bio (F7) method again as I just get the feeling this might help.

My question is, can I use the .bio (F7) method (assuming I can find out why it did not work before) to install 0083 on my NUC which already has 0083 on it, or am I wasting my time?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JRayn3 

1. Yes, you can. Please try BIOS recovery from Power Button Menu:

2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0083.bio  on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).

3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber. 

4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).

5. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.

6. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.

7. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.

8. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

9. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Leon

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JRayn3 

1. Yes, you can. Please try BIOS recovery from Power Button Menu:

2. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0083.bio  on this stick and insert it into front USB slot with amber color (NUC shall be OFF). You may use also one of the rear USB ports (do not use front blue USB port, since sometime the USB stick is not recognized during boot process).

3. Press and hold Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber. 

4. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).

5. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.

6. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.

7. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.

8. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

9. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings. 

Leon

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor II
Thank you, Leon, very much for your detailed reply. I know I put the USB stick in the blue port, so that must be why it was not recognised.

When I get the opportunity I will follow your instructions and will report back.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JRayn3 

In addition to using the  Yellow USB port (or rear port), the USB stick should be fully formatted in Windows to FAT32 (Quick Format option disabled)

Leon

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi again. Yes, I have done that as before. Just got the port choice wrong. While I am here can I ask you whether I could achieve the same end using the F7 method or is the Power Button recovery method preferred?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User
In this case, BIOS recovery (F4), is prefered. All parts of BIOS are reflashed.
Leon
Highlighted
New Contributor II
Thank you again for your reply. I have successfully installed 0083 using the F4 method. Unfortunately the green flash is still there. It only occurs momentarily on boot up so I shall just live with it. At least I now know my BIOS is 100%. I shall mark this as solved. I am very grateful for your quick response as well.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JRayn3 

I don't know what to say about the green flash you see. Does you see it before the Windows swinging ring or  after? In order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.  I would like to check your installation and see if I can see something wrong.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II
Thank you for your continued interest. It is bedtime where I am now so I will respond tomorrow, within the next 18 hours.
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi again.

I attach the SSU text file together with two images of the boot up screen showing the normal Intel welcome screen, which is followed by the green flash I hate and which, in turn, is followed by the normal Windows welcome screen.

I hope you are able to find out what is going on. Since reinstalling 0083 using the F4 method the green part covers a much larger part of the screen.

Also, to recap, this green affair only manifested itself after the abortive attempt to upgrade from 0078 to 0079. I remember that at that time that someone produced a work round which for someone else who also got the green flash it (the work round) rectified it. I chose not to use the work round.

As ever, I am very grateful to you for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JRayn3 

1. Yes, the green flash probably is showing some problem in the Graphics Driver initialization. Therefore i suggest that you reinstall this driver, using clean driver installation method:

2. In the Device Manager open Display  Adapter and then click on Intel Graphics Driver. Select Uninstall and check  "Delete software ..." option. After uninstalling the Intel Driver, you should see Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver.  Reboot your NUC.

3. Install the latest Intel DCH Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.100.8476  Reboot NUC.

4. I suggest that you should update also the Intel Management Engine  and the Chipset Software.

5.  Please ensure that the Graphics setting  in BIOS are set to default.

Leon

Tags (1)
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Thank you for your response. I uninstalled my graphics driver 8476 and software in DM and upon rebooting saw no green flash. I re- installed 8476 and, again, upon rebooting saw no green flash. However, on all subsequent reboots it is there again but in its reduced size form.
I have also attempted to upgrade the ME to 1950.14.0.1443 but DM still says I have 1944.14.0.1370 installed. The installation process said it was successful. What should I do about that, please?
Also, I cannot find any reference to Chipset in the DM under System Devices but I installed the Chipset driver anyway. Then I found I/O LPC Controller - 9D84 etc. etc. which has the new driver above correctly installed.

Perhaps if I used 8i7BEH graphics driver 8141 I would lose the green flash but provided it is not the harbinger of future problems I am minded to leave it alone.
So it is just the ME driver installation now. On a final note it seems odd to me that the IDSA does not even record the drivers for ME or the Chipset.

EDIT: All subsequent reboots now have no green flash. I am very pleased about that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. First uninstall the currently installed ME. You will find it in DM in under the System devices category: Intel  Management Engine Interface. Like with the Graphics Driver, check the "Delete the driver software from this device"  Next, open Apps & Features and uninstall the Intel Management Engine Components. Reboot your NUC.  Then install the latest ME driver (run the SetupME.exe). Although you are installing the Version: 1950.14.0.1443,  DM will still show1944.14.0.1370.

2. The Chipset Software is actually not a driver. It is only description for you computer, used by Windows. Once installed need not to be updated any more.

Leon

Highlighted
New Contributor II
OK I have done that and I can see in Apps and Features that the correct ME driver is installed. I have again installed the Chipset Software and it tells me that it is successful but I still have no entry in DM/System Devices. But no matter. All is working perfectly now and I am delighted. Thank you so much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

If I may, Leon, could I ask you what your recommended method of a standard installation of a BIOS upgrade would be for a NUC8i7BEH?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @JRayn3 

Although in ideal world BIOS update trough IDSA or express method should work (and could be that in most instances it is working), I prefer the recovery method from Power Button Menu. This method is not complicated and refreshes all BIOS. I'm not using the F7 method (it is update and not re-flashing), since if I have already USB with .bio file inserted into the USB port, I don't see any advantage to use it over recovery method.

Leon

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Thank you for your clear answer. I forgot also to ask you that if I have made no changes to the BIOS is it absolutely necessary to do the post installation F2/F9/F10 process?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

This is Intel advice, so, I quote it. However, I never do and have not seen problems or unwanted changing in settings yet.

Leon

Highlighted
New Contributor II

That’s clear enough. I have learnt a lot through this thread and I am obliged to you for your attention. Thank you once more.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

LOL! He says Intel but it is actually advice from me that the Intel folks are now echoing!

Let me start by saying I am the paranoid former (retired) software engineer who has been involved in BIOS development and seen things go awry way too often. As the late Andy Grove used to beat into us, 'Only the paranoid survive'.

When I am trying to help someone I do not know (and specifically do not know their technical expertise level), I always suggest this step as a way for me to ensure that I know exactly what state the BIOS is in. Folks without a solid understanding do not think to mention a lot of the things that are necessary to diagnose their issues. Resetting the BIOS configuration ensures that they haven't made a change that could materially affect the operation of the BIOS and or cause differences in hardware initialization, boot phase activity, etc. It also allows me to reproduce what they are seeing.

There is another reason why I suggest this. When performing BIOS upgrades or downgrades that are significantly separated - that is, there are a significant number of BIOS releases in between - the BIOS configuration data will sometimes get screwed up. The biggest impact is when BIOS parameters are added or (especially) taken away. If one is taken away, a downgrade that brings it back will not have any knowledge of what its setting was. Thus, if you are not sure - which should be the position most of you are in - it is better to reset the BIOS Configuration (i.e. do the F9) in order to ensure all parameters are in a known state. [Aside: BIOS engineers often avoid getting rid of unnecessary parameters for this very reason; they simply remove the associated entries in BIOS Setup to separate them from usage. This is the safer approach, but still doesn't ensure that, in a downgrade, something doesn't get out of whack.]

Bottom line, my paranoia says always do this after a BIOS Recovery, but, in fact, it is rarely actually necessary. 

...S