Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Can I request a custom bios for disable global SMI?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I uses the 2 NUC mini pc that are NUC7i7BNH and NUC5i5RYB models.

I want to install linux with xenomai for real time control on these 2 pcs.

But, the performance of real time is not same as I expect because I think that the SMI (System Management Interrupt) function is enabled.

So, I tried to disable the SMI function globally in linux kernel.

But, I couldn't it because a lock of SMI function setting in the ACPI control register is enabled from the BIOS.

Therefore, I want to request a custom version of bios of 2 models that are don't enable a lock of SMI setting in the ACPi control register or disable the SMI function.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your attention.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello myungjin,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community.

At Intel, we do not recommend or provide assistance for BIOS modifications because since the changes will not be tested by Intel, this can affect the system stability and performance. However, we provide the Intel® Integrator Toolkit® and the Intel® VCUST Tool.

The Intel® Integrator Toolkit is a UEFI command-line utility that is designed for integrators who are customizing the BIOS of Intel® NUC and Intel® Compute Stick products, and the Intel ®VCUST is a command-line tool that is designed to assist integrators (who usually work in manufacturing or enterprise environment) with the process of BIOS/SMBIOS customization, OEM Windows* product key injection (OEM Activation 3.0, OA3) of Intel® NUC products.

I need to inform you that Intel has not validated this Intel NUC model with any Linux distribution; however, we have plenty of positive reports from customers that are using the unit successfully on many different Linux distros so we add it the information to our compatibility list. You can check the Intel Compatibility Tool for the NUC model in case you are interested. We highly recommend you to  Contact your operating system vendor (OSV) for drivers, modification, access, and support.

Best regards,

Maria R. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Hello myungjin,

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community.

At Intel, we do not recommend or provide assistance for BIOS modifications because since the changes will not be tested by Intel, this can affect the system stability and performance. However, we provide the Intel® Integrator Toolkit® and the Intel® VCUST Tool.

The Intel® Integrator Toolkit is a UEFI command-line utility that is designed for integrators who are customizing the BIOS of Intel® NUC and Intel® Compute Stick products, and the Intel ®VCUST is a command-line tool that is designed to assist integrators (who usually work in manufacturing or enterprise environment) with the process of BIOS/SMBIOS customization, OEM Windows* product key injection (OEM Activation 3.0, OA3) of Intel® NUC products.

I need to inform you that Intel has not validated this Intel NUC model with any Linux distribution; however, we have plenty of positive reports from customers that are using the unit successfully on many different Linux distros so we add it the information to our compatibility list. You can check the Intel Compatibility Tool for the NUC model in case you are interested. We highly recommend you to  Contact your operating system vendor (OSV) for drivers, modification, access, and support.

Best regards,

Maria R. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello myungjin,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more information. 

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello myungjin,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos